NBA Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jmillhimes, Jun 25, 2009.

1. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

NBA Offseason Thread

Well, Didnt see anything covering the NBA so I thought I would start a thread for offseason trades, Rumors, draft discussions, etc..

Here is what has gone down thus far as it concerns trades...

1) Shaq was traded from Phoenix to Cleveland. The Suns will get Cash, the 46th pick in the draft, Ben Wallace, and Sasha Pavlovic.

2) The Spurs traded Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas, and Fabricio Oberto to the Bucks for Richard Jefferson.

3) T-Wolves acquired the 5th pick in the 1st round along with Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov from the Wizards in exchange for Mike Miller and Randy Foye.

4) Blazors swapped picks with Dallas. Dallas will get the 24th pick and the Blazors two 2nd round picks for there 22 pick in the draft..( I think Portland gave up to much)

5) Minnesota now has the 5th, 6th, 18th, and 28th picks in the 1st round tonight..( WOW!!)

6) Houston has been contacted by three teams in regards to T-Mac..( Please trade him).

7) Yao Ming's foot fracture DID NOT heel correctly.

2. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Minnesota has all those pick in what is a weak draft,. Yeah good for them! LOL.

Wizards dumped some bums to get some good offensive depth but this still doesn't solve their biggest problem, DEFENSE. This does give them cap relief for next offseason with Miller's expiring contract. I like the addition of Randy Foye, he can either start or be the sixth man off the bench.

I don't think Cleveland fans should get too excited. Cleveland's main problem was guarding wing players, Mo Williams and Delonte West are still weaknesses defensively. They also need an upgrade at PF.

Great trade for the Spurs. Bruce Bowen is a bum and Jefferson will provide adequate defense and much more offense compared to BB.

I think the Blazers just wanted to get rid of the 2nd round picks since their roster is pretty much full.

Houston will be lucky if they get more than some tube socks for T-Mac, LOL.

I also think Houston is cursed as far as star players. Steve Francis, T-Mac, Yao. All three had injury issues throughout their career in Houston.

3. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

It sounds like Minnesota is trying to turn a couple of those picks into the 2nd pick.

4. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I agree with you on a few of these issues..

1) The draft is weak. However, Minnesota needs to start somewhere.

2) The trade was good for San Antonio. However, Jefferson is not a great defender. He is in constant Foul trouble. Look for the Bucks to dump Bowen and he will resign with the Spurs.

3) Right on with the Cav's. I dont see the hype. Shaq can still give you 15 points a night but is not the threat under the basket he once was.

4) Houston is cursed. To me, the team played better last year in the playoffs without there star power. Adelman loves to run and they are able to do that without Yao.

5) The Knicks have talked with Houston about a possible deal that would send the Rockets Eddie Curry( He still plays?) and a few picks for T-Mac..lol

5. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I don't know much about the NBA...

How is Shaq doing health wise? I read that he hasn't played a full season in years. If he can stay healthy him and LeBron should be deadly...

6. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    That my friend is the equivalent of tube socks. LOL

7. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Is it to late to trade T-Mac to McDonalds For a Big MAC COMBO???

8. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

2 newest trade rumors...

Houston Sends T-MAC, AARON Brooks, and Carl Landrey to the Suns for Stoudermire and Balbosa

Orlando to send Alston and Lee to New Jersey for Vince Carter

9. Bondzai

Just got a text from ESPN news. Nets send Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson to Magic for Rafer Alston, Courtney Lee, and Tony Battie.

10. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

As a Cavs fan I think the Shaq trade is ok...at best. West and Willams couldn't cover Orlando's much bigger wing players but Shaq helps against Howard I guess. Either way, I hate when teams build themselves to beat a specific team. It just doesn't make sense to me and it looks like Cleveland is addressing some kind of answer for Howard but didn't account for having two 6' starting guards. West needs to come off the bench and they need a 6'4 -6'5 2 guard that can score, and a 20-10 guy at the 4 like Carlos Boozer. They could have beaten Orlando anyway if they could have gotten some bench scoring and if Orlando hadn't gotten retarded, white hot from the field.

11. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Its Official..Houston is Cursed......

WOW!! Im optomistic about this . The Rockets played well without him but not well enough to really make any noise. Im very curious to see what happends here. The Rockets could make a play for Boozer since they have NO Centers at all. Some kind of a big man would help. I dont see them trading T-Mac anymore. Maybe they should just save up and try and grab some big names in the 2010 free agent spree?

12. Bondzai

They are screwed. The best they can do at this point is try to get Mehmet Okur or Rasheed Wallace.

13. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Yeah this looks bad. Ive been hearing they are looking at a possible Trade and Sign with Toronto for Chris Bosh.( That is a rumor and I doubt it happends.) Ive also seen they are after McDyess who lives in Houston. I ponder if they wont just let Artest walk and scrap the season in hopes of 2010? With No Artest, T-Mac, or Yao the Rockets have an extra 36 Mill a year to spend....(y)

14. Bondzai

They could possibly trade T-Mac's expiring contract to New York for David Lee.

15. Bondzai

It's amazing how fast the Pistons have fallen.

16. jfosh

jfosh Super

I also read this might be a ploy by the Rockets so that Yao does not have to play on China's National Team this summer. He needs so time off. All the players that played in the Olympics and NBA season need this summer off.

17. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Chicago Bulls guard Ben Gordon and Milwaukee Bucks forward Charlie Villanuevaflew to Detroit on Wednesday morning for a mid-day meeting with team president Joe Dumars and indications are both are moving rapidly toward deals with the Detroit Pistons, league and sources close to the two players told Yahoo!

Rockets are knocking on Magic Center Marcin Gortat's door. The Back-up center's agent has already told several interested teams that his client has received a very attractive offer.

Danny Ainge is trying to talk Rasheed Wallace into coming to the Celtics..( I really wish Houston would look at him. He shoots a nice % behind the arc.)

Here is a good article on the Top 20 Free Agents...
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjovcIDbrFi1EFPV4f2GIQi8vLYF?slug=jy-freeagentrankings063009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

18. jfosh

jfosh Super

Looks like the Pistons got their guys.

Sources: Gordon, Villanueva to Pistons

19. Bondzai

Ron Artest to the Lakers and Trevor Ariza to the Rockets.

20. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

-Looks like Dallas is getting Marion from Toronto

-Kidd Stays with Dallas

-Wallace signed with Boston

- Antonio McDyess to the Spurs

- NBA Gives Houston the clearance of 5.8 Million for the Yao Ming injury