NCAA 10 Rosters and NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Mogriffjr, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    NCAA 10 Rosters and NFL Draft

So while looking at rosters I was noticing a few notable players that were drafted IRL NFL Draft and how their ratings were at the beginning of the season.

USF
    - George Selvie (all-american on the game), 94ovr, 88spd- Draftred 7th round by Rams.
    - Jean Pierre Paul- 81ovr, 79spd- Drafted 1st round by Giants.

- Stanford's Toby Gehrhart- 88ovr, 88spd- Drafted 2nd round by Vikings

- Jevan Snead- 95ovr, 82spd, 94thp, 88tha- Undrafted

- Ryan Matthews- 88ovr, 90spd- 1st round to Chargers

I'm sure there's a few more out there, just posted a few that were interesting for me.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I always find it interesting to see the Florida/OSU/Texas/USC players who all have ridiculous speed in the game and then time out in the 4.5 to 4.6 range at the combine. Guys like Joe Haden and Riley Cooper in this years game come to mind. For whatever reason, the developers always assume that if a guy is at one of the big schools he must be a track star.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Of course college video game ratings/real life success doesn't necessarily mean much when turning pro. Guys like Pat White can dominate college, but are too small to be an NFL QB. I think that Foricer and Robinson will be good before they leave Michigan, but neither will be an NFL QB. Most think that Tebow won't be a good NFL QB, but he's the most dominating college player in recent history. There's also guys Devine from WVU.

4. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I always assume it is based on their speed in relation to the college game.

5. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

George Selvie's ratings were based off his sophomore year when nobody knew about him and he exploded for 14.5 sacks and 31 tackles for loss. It was a phenomenal year that earned him a sack master reputation. Then he went out and stunk the next couple years but that one year got him awesome EA ratings for good.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=216901

As for his teammate JPP, he only played one year at South Florida and was a JC transfer so people didn't know about him. An absolute freak athletically.

6. BDawg35

BDawg35 Walk On

I live for the day when SPD ratings aren't the be-all, end-all. I'd like to see a track star with 99 SPD in the game be so fragile and lacking in other qualities that you're better off putting him on the bench in favor of a 91 SPD guy who has good BTK, STA, INJ, AWR, CAR, CTH ratings (etc.).

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

See this is the thing I haven't understood about all that. Now I am one of those goofballs that watches the combine (at least some of it) and it's funny...

He wasn't in the top 10 in the 40-yard dash. Or bench reps. Or even CLOSE to the top 10 on the vertical! The 10th best guy had like a 36" he was like 30"! look at his calves they look like a little girl's.

Here is something I copied and pasted from another site because I'm lazy:

The short shuttle run measures change of direction speed, burst, and hip flexibility. DeMarcus Ware had a jaw-dropping 4.07 second short shuttle, and Jevon Kearse ran the short shuttle twice with an average time of 4.12 seconds. No elite edge rusher has emerged from any round of the NFL Draft since at least 1999 with a short shuttle slower than 4.42 seconds.

Jason Pierre-Paul: Vertical Leap: 30.5, Short Shuttle: 4.6 seconds.

Derrick Morgan: Vertical Leap: 34″, Short Shuttle: 4.46 seconds.

Gerald McCoy: Vertical Leap: 30.5″, Short Shuttle: 4.48 seconds

Ndamukong Suh: Vertical Leap: 35.5″, Short Shuttle: 4.44 seconds

Jerry Hughes: Vertical Leap: 34″, Short Shuttle: 4.18 seconds

Tyson Alualu: Vertical Leap: 35″, Short Shuttle: 4.28 seconds

So when I saw that they drafted him I was a little amazed.

No he's not a freak athletically. Compared to the other DE's available in the draft he's actually way, WAY sub-par.

They drafted him because he can do backflips! LOL :D

edit: when I said top 10 above, I meant top 10 at D Line....he's not in the top 10 at DL at any of that stuff.

8. BDawg35

BDawg35 Walk On

So he'll look cool celebrating a sack - assuming he ever gets one.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL yep... the site I posted that from predicts that he'll get four chances to show that sack dance off... In the next four years. :)

10. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

Those are some really interesting numbers on the short shuttle Helli. I'll have to remember that.

I do think people get carried away saying speed shouldn't matter much. Speed is great in every sport, especially football. Being fast is a huge asset, particularly at WR and DB. It's not the only thing but I think people are devaluing it too much these days when talking about agility and acceleration.

11. BDawg35

BDawg35 Walk On

I guess where I have a problem with SPD being such a determining factor in the video game is in the case of some of the running backs I had in NCAA '09. They'd be 68 OVR dudes who put up insane numbers because I'd run toss plays with them, they'd hit the edge and be gone. I'd bench guys who were 88 OVR or so in favor of them. Seems, if nothing else, that the CPU defense should know my game plan and be ready for it, but now I'm getting into an entirely different area of the game.

12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    That's because before this years game they really couldn't make the good teams good unless they loaded them with speed. I think that will be drastically changing for next year's title (or at least I pray). Another small portion is that the 'ratings guru' who does all the ratings seemingly doesn't use actual numbers, but instead perception to develop quantitative numbers.

13. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

I read an interview with one the NCAA developers prior to '10 being released and they don't necessarily go through each player and try to match them up perfectly. They basically take a team's projected strength and style and create a team from that template fitting in players and matching them as much as possible. For example Florida would be a spread offense with a great running QB. For that to happen Tebow has to have higher than real life speed and trucking rating. Hence you get the virtual Tebow. Do the same for the rest of the positions and you have Florida's '10 team.

I'm over simplifying the process but that's pretty much what I gathered from the interview. They take a team that is projected to be a powerhouse, give them A+ prebuilt rating, and then create the players partially to real life and partially to satisfy the numbers.

14. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

The same problem exists when using a QB with bad awareness. A true freshman with a great arm is better than a savvy senior with an average arm when using them. A smart RB that knows how to read holes is worse than a dumb RB with better physical skills when we use them. It's a hard thing for a dev team to get right without either adjusting the OL or opposing defensive players based on the user awareness of a RB.

15. BDawg35

BDawg35 Walk On

Yep. I've always wished that a quarterback's AWR would result in fewer or more interceptions, depending on if it's low or high, even when controlled by a user. Like accuracy was somehow affected. A user QB's AWR is essentially the AWR of the user himself - must explain why I throw so many picks. :(

16. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

I throw a ton of picks too lol.

I've discussed different ways to adjust for user awareness on other sites in the past. There are a lot of options.

Account for User QB Awareness:
    1) High awr QBs could result in defensive playcalls being tipped to the user at the time of the snap (frequency depends on how good they are). ie Cover 2! Blitz!
    2) Icons may switch up for bad QBs (the typical X receiver is suddenly triangle on your control for that play - causes you to read the defense slower)
    3) Adjust the ability of the opposing DBs based on your QB awareness. Dumb QB = slight boost for opposing CB coverage ratings. Mimics a bad QB bird dogging WRs to give CB boost
    4) Vision cone (I hate this one though).

Account for User RB Awareness:
    If you have high awareness, boost your OL run blocking slightly. The holes would be bigger = better vision? I know it's a stretch. Bad awareness RBs could drop the OL run blocking. Holes would be smaller = inability to find daylight? Again, it's not a sim way to get the results but the results would be sim like.

17. BDawg35

BDawg35 Walk On

Those are some good ideas. I remember EA having the vision cone in Madden to account for QB AWR. For someone stick-challenged like myself, it didn't work so well. I still remember getting slaughtered in my first online game with the vision cone when I made the mistake of telling my opponent, "I can't figure this thing out." So, he blitzed on every down. It was supposedly a friendly, straight game against an MM-approved baller. Needless to say, I never played him again.