NCAA '11: Big Ten Preview - Season 1

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Jul 18, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

NCAA '11: Big Ten Preview - Season 1

Figured since I'm the new guy I can get off on the right foot with some content contribution. Hopefully somebody else can do something like this for the other conferences.

[​IMG]
    COACHING NOTES: Move over Rich Rod, Jello's putting the headset back on in the Big House for `11. With his love for the spread option attack that controls the ball and is complemented by a stingy defense, expectations are high in Ann Arbor this season.
    THE SCHEME: Expect a heavy dose of spread option as coach Jello appears to be handing the reigns of the offense over to the uber athletic Denard Robinson. The 6' 188 lbs sophomore is raring to go after sitting behind Forcier last season and winning the job this spring. The other half of the many zone reads in Ann Arbor this season will likely be by committee as Shaw, Cox and Smith all get some carries. It's a very talented backfield and the bulldozers up front should pave the way nicely. The WRs Odoms, Hemingway, and Roundtree could have break out years as Jello's option attack should force many safeties towards the LOS. The Wolverines lost some defensive talent to the NFL this offseason and it shows as the defense is the weak point of this team. The Wolverines will need huge output from sophomore RE Craig Roh and DT Mike Martin. If these two can win the battle in the trenches for U of M, the other glaring holes on defense might not be so bad.

[​IMG]
    COACHING NOTES: JCSpartin is back in East Lansing and is looking forward to becoming the dominant school in Michigan. The Spartans finally knocked off the Wolverines in the final season of `10 play and will look to build on that this year. (Never played JC so can't comment much more)
    THE SCHEME: MSU will likely rely on the duo of returning starter QB Kirk Cousins and TE Charlie Gantt to keep defenses honest in the play action game. In the backfield, Caper and Baker will be given the duty of pounding the rock to setup play action. The offense isn't going to wow anybody talent wise, but MSU has never had a problem competing with lesser talent. Senior MLB Greg Jones, considered by most a top 15 draft pick, is the leader of this team and will do his best to keep the opposition out of the end zone to give the Sparty's a chance. The defense likely won't be the most talented unit on the field in most games, but if they play together, being solid across the board should be good enough. If Greg Jones can make plays and cause turnovers, this could be an interesting year in East Lansing.

[​IMG]
    COACHING NOTES: Shaun is the new commish in `11 and perhaps the new responsibility will effect his gameplanning. If not, the multiple attack the Buckeyes will bring is going to be tough to defend. Shaun's spent the past 6 months nailing down the passing attack so OSU should be well balanced this year.
    THE SCHEME: Ohio St is one of the most talented teams in the game and having QB Pryor coming off last seasons Rose Bowl performance against Oregon full of confidence this team will be tough. Pryor's backfield mates, Saine and Herron give OSU one of the most talented backfields in the country. Add Posey and Sanzenbacher at WR on the outside and defenses will be forced to pick their poison this year cause containing all these weapons will prove too much. There's no fall off on the defensive side of the ball either as the D is loaded with NFL caliber talent. The only semi soft spot is in the secondary at the safety position, but even those guys would start for most teams in the country. If OSU takes care of the ball and Pryor continues to progress and stays healthy, the sky is the limit for this team, and that's what has everyone in Columbus buzzing.

Prediction:
    Ohio State is simply too talented this season for the likes of anyone else in the Big 10 to compete with them. Michigan and Michigan State will give it their best, but unless the Buckeyes are having an off day, they should cruise through the Big 10 schedule.

1. Ohio St
    2. Michigan
    3. Michigan St

2. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Good stuff dude, but you have me finishing behind Jello? C'mon now...haha

3. GoGators

Haha, if it's any condolences, talking to Jello the other day he stated he imagines you'll hold the series lead over him this year. I on the other hand think Jello tends to be quite modest and in year 1 he's got the talent advantage. It's a toss up though. Maybe I'll know better after the Spartans come down to Gainesville someday.

4. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Yeah Jello says that a lot, but I don't believe him haha. All our games will be close I'm sure, they could go either way. I'm willing to go down to gainesville whenever.

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Have you looked at the rosters?

6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    All I know is I have tons of talent, but no skill.:) I doubt tOSU wins the Big 10.

7. jello1717

I just checked and Michigan is the worst user team in the dynasty. (n)(n)(n)

8. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    We strive for realism.:)

9. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I find it hard to believe that Michigan is rated worse than Michigan St (no offense JC). I've looked at that Michigan roster and there is definitely talent there, it may be overrated based on the results on the field, but it's there nonetheless.

Plus, they're all juniors and below it seems and you have like 4 pipeline states. I think you'll be fine.;)

10. GoGators

State is a solid team ratings wise. The average starter is in the low-mid 80s with the exception of Greg Jones at 95. Michigan, imo, is similarly talented, maybe a little less, but has bigger gamebreakers. I felt Denard Robinson would be a game changer that MSU doesn't have this season.

It's all debatable until it's settled on the field though.

11. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

MSU's offensive gamechanger is Keshaun Martin, but that's not accurately represented in the game unfortunately. The dude was a QB in high school, ran a 4.3 40, and was one of the top KR in the nation last year. He's still good in the game as a WR, but I'm disappointed that he has no QB ratings and his speed and/or agility/acceleration aren't a bit higher. That being said, in the game MSU's biggest offensive weapon is the tandem of QB Kirk Cousins and TE Charlie Gantt.

It's hard to compare MSU and UofM because of the extreme difference in styles. Each of us have significant talent to match our styles. Jello has his super quick QB and I've got my big offensive line and stable of running backs. We're pretty even overall I'd say, and it will be fun to see how it plays out.

12. jello1717

Damn dude! I'm sensing a pattern here. You must have your WRs be able to pass the ball. Someone must've found a playbook with some nice WR passes in it!

13. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Haha, actually no there are zero WR passes in the MSU playbook. I'm sure that in real life MSU will put a couple of these into the playbook though. They ran the wildcat with Martin a few times last year and he had a couple TD passes, but there isn't a wildcat formation in this years playbook, otherwise I'd be using Nichol in that situation.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

That's some very un-Tressel-like talk. Of course you're going to win the Big Ten. We always win the Big Ten.

Have a good season you guys,

AG

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Haha, that's so true.