NCAA 11 REALISM COMPLAINT

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Brian202202, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Brian202202

Brian202202 Walk On

This isn't a post made because of this league... this is just when I play in general...

The tipped pass by Linebacker ratio is ridiculous (and even D-Line) I didn't play college ball (I went to Michigan lol...) But I did get D-1 major conference scholly offers (Big 10, Conf USA) and I did play and start on a HS team that produced multiple NFLers... I played HB(starting)/WR(some sets/situations)/S(starting) and occasionally LB/CB (for fun)

One of the primary premises of route running is finding the gap between the safeties and the linebackers and exploiting it for chunks of yardage...

In NCAA... the number of passes batted by the front 7 is ridiculous... I have never watched a game of football where so many passes were batted...

The vertical jumps of these guys (and reads) are so unrealistic...

Just hate when a reciever finds the gap and a totally unrealistic bat stops my drive

/rant

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Name
    High School
    Year

Need something to fill the time with:)

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    The line doesn't create gaps to throw threw either.

4. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

why'd you turn down big 10 offers? just curious

5. Brian202202

Brian202202 Walk On

It was only 1 B-10 offer at a terrible football school lamo... I wasn't a pro prospect... (I was fast but no size at all) I was really better in track... I probably wouldn't have seen much time even at a lower tier B-10 school... But I was good academically and went to college after my junior year of highschool on scholarship. Got my sports scholly offers before Junior year... Tore my meniscus in Game 1 jr. year. I got into the Honors Program at Mich and the other B-10 school wasn't on that level academically so I skipped being a scout team guy on a bad team to be a student at a better school...

Not really pertinent to the topic at hand... maybe I should have just posted my rant lol

6. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Where did you go to school and who did you play with?

7. Brian202202

Brian202202 Walk On

I really like to post as anonymously as possible... 1 guy on my team set an NCAA record... 3 played in the NFL. 2 basketballers in the NBA. Nobody from baseball or track did much other than in college.

8. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

agreed'. some linebackers look like michael jordan out there

9. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

It compensates a bit for the fact that your QB is accurate for the most part and the defense doesn't really jump routes.

10. Brian202202

Brian202202 Walk On

My QB is horribly inaccurate... he can have a WR open on a crossing route and will throw directly to the zone defender 7 yards in front of him... or when the safeties drop back too deep and a 9 route passes the LB... the QB will still throw for his limit and an INT to the FS rather than taking a little bit off the ball and hitting the receiver for a big gain under the safety... I've had several 5 int games (playing with 2* team against 5*) but still...

And I'd rather the game not present argument of broken element compensates for equally broken element... I'd just rather no element be broken... but CPU swats is definitely broken... there's more blocks than in a basketball game

11. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

the Linebacker swats are absolutely ridiculous. Couldn't agree more.

12. Wick36

*shrug*

It's frustrating, but passing would be far too easy without em.

13. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

what i get tired of seeing BESIDES the vertical swats youre talking about... is say i run mesh... out of 5 wide...

so 2 guys crossing shallow... and i hot route another guy on slant... so the drag and slant going to one side of the field and it NEVER fails, the OLB on the side they are RUNNING TO... will drop a PERFECT ALLEY DRILL on a 45 degree angle and keep leverage on the drag but cut off my slant... i get tired of seeing that... it doesnt work that way nobody guesses that, its not a real drop... ESPECIALLY when he is just sitting there UNTIL my 2 WR's cross my center... THEN he goes into his telepathic drop...

i had a post on TGT talking about how i really wish they would do a double button press for NCAA for the QB's... ill try to explain it here... see what you guys think... (hold on this may get confusing)

[​IMG]
    alright just a screen shot taken from the old VG play art from NCAA 10... for reference...

inside cross our primary is obviously the cross... vs man... its going to be a good throw most of the time or the dig right behind it... but what i get tired of as stated above is the zone coverage and the reason it reacts the way it does is there nothing to effect the drop of the defense... I DO NOT (repeat) I DO NOT want the QB vision cone from Madden... it was terrible... FAIL... but what i would like is this...

imagine you hit [​IMG] to snap the ball... NOW... the "double press" explained... after you snap the ball, you must "SELECT" a WR to look at, regardless of whether you throw to him or not, and they could make it to where the QB just stares at the FS at the snap by feault if you dont push anything...

once you select a WR to "look at" if you want to throw to him, you press again, and this press will be just like throwing now... tap for lob etc...

now comes the strategy and realism of it... with the play above, we want the crossing route so what we do is this:

hit [​IMG] to snap, and then press [​IMG] to look at the WR that is running the post... now as long as EA doesnt "over program" the look will EFFECT the drop to their original assignments NOT DETERMINE where they drop... but looking right to a guy going deep for a 1 second count will influence anyone not blitzing to drop to their spot, but will not settle as fast... THEN you can press [​IMG] to look at our crossing route... and then press [​IMG] again with whatever pressure you need depending on the throw you need...

this ALSO can be done in this way, which would help the problems were discussing... what if we decide to keep the RB in to block, and we really would like to work for that DIG and our opponent has been running Cover 2 like crazy and pre-snap tells you its ZONE...

then we press [​IMG] to snap the ball... then we look at [​IMG] to influence the FS to that side to drop left after a we finish our drop we can then hit the LEFT BACK (no icon for that and dont feel like looking) to then focus on our DIG...

this will really help in making people more aware of the passing game from an offensive standpoint... and would force people who scramble a ton to really think twice because sprinting and maneuvering while trying to swap to your WR to look at him and then hit again to throw to him will make the scramble more life like instead of sprinting left and then slamming down on the button to throw a bullet to the post... it would take time to actually slow down and look at the WR...

yes... a long post... but it fits the conversation and would like to get some feedback... others suggested something along these lines, but i think this would be a HUGE part to really make the defense play more realistic... of course it doesnt cater to the casual "i run 4 plays combined offense and defense online in play now and ranked in the top 100" guys... but the crowd for this game has shifted so much to the hard core gamer who wants realism from the cheesy counterparts that ruin the integrity of the game...

"E"

14. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

This is something I'd really like to see. Drop the camera angle to about 12-15 feet instead of the 30 - 40 feet it currently sits at and make short QBs need to find throwing lanes to be successful.

I think you see so many swats because it's a combination of a couple factors. 1) There's no arc in the passing game. For the most part it's either a bullet or a lob. Bullets are very susceptible to getting swatted because in EA's world even if you throw the ball 30 yards but on a line, it never gets higher than 9 feet off the ground. 2) Because the camera angle is so high you don't account for throwing lanes. In real life you don't see so many swats because typically QBs find throwing lanes to throw through. In this video game you don't do that. 3) EA has the swat animation programmed more like the defensive lineman is holding up a big backboard rather than a single arm. And the lineman are always able to anticipate the pass and jump with perfect timing to get swats. In real life you rarely see lineman jump like that because they're typically getting blocked and out of balance.

Oh, just seen Wisconsin's Tolzein's pass get swatted on the two point conversion. What timing.

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Watt's got one of Dalton's earlier.

16. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I'd like to see something like this too. It would create a footwork aspect for the QB too. You can't look down the front side post and throw the backside stop route on the inside cross w/o resetting your feet in real life, but in NCAA, you can do it instantly. It's silly.

Or even besides the double tap, I think you could bring back the Madden vision cone. But make it properly.....a VISION cone. Manning and Brady could see half the field. However Michael Vick could only see a tiny sliver. It makes no sense at all. Manning, Brady, and Vick all have 2 eyes and have the same peripheral vision. So they would all see half the field and that's how the vision cone should have been implemented.

17. Brian202202

Brian202202 Walk On

That makes sense

18. Brian202202

Brian202202 Walk On

No that sounds really good.... I find with the pass rush... It's hard for me to even have "poise" to step up and throw in the pocket due to pressure... let alone pump fake or look off... double and even triple tap would be great maybe requiring you to hold LT and X (for example) to hit the X

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    That is a lot of words to say you want to have to look at the wideout before throwing, and be able to look off receivers.:)

20. Wick36

I don't think anything that really has your QB look in a certain direction is really viable when you're able to see almost the entire field on your screen.

21. Brian202202

Brian202202 Walk On

lmao!

22. Brian202202

Brian202202 Walk On

imho it's true that the user has the ability to go through the progression and see the field but the issue is that the user doesn't really have the opportunity to affect the defense by looking off receivers and that takes away a pretty big element

23. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

has nothing to do with what YOU can read... but has EVERYTHING to do with the game being realistic... and the defensive drops NOT being realistic... the game is built off of "one progression" as you are the one progression as you put it in your post... and that isnt realistic at all... you can see the whole screen but if there isnt anything to effect the drop of the LB's/DB's then the game just plays at random and you will get telepathic coverage where people will drop to random spots but the random drops will be PERFECT position to pick/tip away a dig route that they would never in real life see coming...

and yeah it was a lot of words, but @ least i conveyed it in a way that it would be understood that it would be easily implemented... ;)

"E"

24. Wick36

But it's not an easy fix.

This would be a feature that would feel extremely clunky and would probably be very exploitable. During play action, or when your opponent blitzes, having to tap the buttons quit a bit will be difficult to get off. If they put it in, anyone who is able to make a pre snap read is going to be able to make every pass against zone with something like this and people would just ran man every time to compensate.

Realism is great... but I'm not really in favor of sacrificing gameplay for realism. Honestly, it would probably feel a lot more natural with a vision cone than "double tap", but I don't necessarily think either would be all that good of an addition.