NCAA '11: Recruiting Slider!

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Shaun Mason, May 24, 2010.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    NCAA '11: Recruiting Slider!

From OS:

2. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Beat me to it Shaun lol. Now CPU can compete in recruiting.

3. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

**Edit**
    English or don't bother...PM me if that is an issue.

4. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

recruiting is gonna take some major efforts this year to try and pull in the big time players. You are going to have to have some serious skill in figuring out the route to take in landing any recruits IMO.

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You are just going to have to win games first before you start garnering interest from good recruits. As opposed to the opposite in previous versions of the game where you could nag good recruits without having to prove yourself on the field.

6. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I really hope that is the case. I hated to string together seasons of great play, only to have my list of interested guys be half that of a mediocre performing 'power program'.

7. CLW

CLW GBN Commish

Wow that sounds great.

Of course, it is going to require the community to get out there and test it to find a "sim" slider set. I have my doubts about EA setting the default making it realistic/difficult to recruit (i.e. the kiddies wouldn't like it). However, if EA would just give us the ability to adjust everything in the game, I am confident the community could come up with several great options for people to try out/use to make their experience with the game as enjoyable as possible.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

great now that we all picked shitty teams.........

I was just saying last nite about they need to add a cpu difficulty setting......doh!

9. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

If recruiting is how it was in NCAA 10 out the box, then I say max the recruiting slider

10. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Hopefully maxing the slider doesn't make it where they cheat and instant commit everyone you're going after though.

I think the random topics and such is going to have a HUGE effect on recruiting; even for the bigger schools and especially since you can't recruit more than an hour at a time on one recruit.

11. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

all this will really do is stop all the users from have an all 90+ rated team...which i good but we still will pound the CPU like Jodie Foster in the "Accused"

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Most likely JMS. Hopefully the computer can realistically beat us this year with good players. Actually be able to establish a running game without forcing them to have one by making them pancake every blocker

13. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

1.....2.....3......4.....f that p until its sore....

one of the more disturbing parts of a movie I have ever seen....ick

Anywhooo...this is good news but its going to take some testing, it could really ruin a dynasty if you take ok teams like we did and are never able to nab any top level players.

14. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

If you look at the statistics alot of mid level teams get like 1 5 star ever three years lol

15. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

This is absolutely correct. Take Boise or Utah for examples, even with all their success, they're not pulling 5 star guys every year.

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Right, the problem is that people expect to take North Texas, win 10 games for 2 years and recruit like USC.

17. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The issue is the degree at which a school's recruiting ability improves. There is no single answer to that riddle. Some people think if you win a National Championship as TCU, then automatically you should be considered one of the top programs. Some people say no in that case but hey back to back, now you're talking. Some people take the exact opposite route and say you're nothing till you've consistently put the team in bowl games for 10 years or something like that. Theres just no 1 correct answer and I don't think EA will every get it completely correct UNLESS they give each OD commissioner the ability to change the degree at which a program improves their ability to recruit... which btw, they won't. :(

18. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

My attempt at a correct answer would deal with the following:

The only way to attract 5 star talent is:

You have to be an NFL factory.
    You have to compete for the BCS frequently.
    You HAVE to have the best facilities.
    You HAVE to be in a great location.

No matter who you are or what your success rate is, it's highly unlikely you're going to get a kid out of Florida or California who's a non troubled 5 star prospect that will want to go play in the snow or for a school with bad facilities. Not to mention the co-eds. (Maybe EA should add that for a recruiting pitch?)

Someone like TCU would have to win a lot of bowl games to develop the facilities and the stadiums that Florida, Texas, USC, etc have. And ultimately, that's what a lot of kids are going to choose from.

19. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Good post, I agree with that entirely.

I will withhold any judgement or belief in what I'm hearing until the game is released, because I've heard some of this before.

We changed all the ratings so that the players no longer come in ranked so high. oh really? I recruited guys as high as 89 OVR on several occasions in NCAA 10... etc. It's supposed to be tougher - this has been said many times before as well.

As JFosh said the other day when we were talking about this, we aren't the group of people they market this game toward. They're marketing this primarily toward people that will play it 1-2 months then buy another EA game. And no matter what team they are using, they expect to get the good players when recruiting.

The slider, however, is the over-arching story in all of this for me, if it works, including online, then that is a major step forward...

20. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

So true Hellisan we have heard all this before. I did like the fact that some :2stars: and :3stars: came in with higher ratings than some of the higher ranked :4stars: at the same position in this last years edition. There are only a couple of non BCS teams that can pull in 4 star recruits let alone 5 star recruits and it does not happen every year. I can only think of USM as of recently. I would think that a sim dynasty would like the challenge of making things harder. We are considering a WAC and MWC OD in TF4 this year and this makes things a lot more interesting in trying to build up the teams.

21. Keller

Excellent points Helli. My question is what all areas the slider will "touch," if thats a good way to word it. As I mentioned, I'm chiefly interested in the degree at which a program can improve its recruiting abilities. If the slider (emphasis on singular) can actually affect this, then its a doubled edged sword. One one hand you may be making the CPU "better" at recruiting but you may also be unfairly "handicapping" some powerhouse teams that otherwise deserve better recruits and giving a boost to some lower teams (particularly user teams) like say Cincinnati that otherwise deserve lesser recruits; or vice versa.

I guess my real point is, if EA wants to tailor to the general crowd to sell copies, let them. But if they really want to hit a home run, they need to give us hardcore guys more tools with which to customize our experience as we see fit. The commissioner needs to have tools at his disposal to change the effectiveness of CPU recruiting, as well as other tools to manage other aspects of the OD, like what I mentioned before. Will it ever happen? I doubt it... but I can dream:(

22. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    To EA it is just cost vs return.

It will cost X to implement, we will sell Y more copies. The vast majority of gamers don't care...but it would be nice if they just did it out of love for the game.

23. Keller

I don't disagree with you there. I suppose the real question is, how much does EA budget each year to say X amount must yield Y improvements otherwise LESS people will buy the game?

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Good point... And mixed in with this, how fast does a team's prestige improve? I'm sure we've all noticed that the true powerhouses (teams that were dominant at one time or another in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc) can lie dormant for years at a time then when they get the right coach, can go right back to their previous level of performance. Texas, USC are two examples of this.. they were both average to below for years before getting Brown and Carroll in place... Whereas programs that find the right coach and have some real great years lose that coach and in the end don't have much more prestige than they ever did (Louisville). In the game this has not been well represented but as gamers I think we want that prestige to go up and give us a chance...

I really liked that too, and that is one thing I'm worried about seeing changed. I've pulled a healthy percentage of my players from the 2-star and 3-star pool and only recruited the really good 4-star and 5-star guys.

I'm worried that they will get rid of the diamonds in the rough.

I'm wondering if you could expand on the double edged sword thing. I imagine that the recruiting slider will affect "how well the cpu recruits" in a general sense - you think that might hurt the big-time cpu teams somehow?

My outlook on EA has changed somewhat, you're definitely correct in saying that has something to do with it but if you told me four years ago we'd have working (and quite good) online dynasties I would have never believed you. Of course to your point those are probably big game sellers but they've made good things happen with this game and I do believe the Ben Haumillers of the world are truly college football (and NCAA video game) fans.

25. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I feel that same way Helli. Haumiller and company definitely seem like they truly care about putting out a good game, but they seem to be handcuffed by various restraints (EA Sports Tiburon's budget, time requirements for things, and knowing what's best for the series without alienating a major section of their fans [be that the casual gamers, cheesing fuckers online, or the hardcore crowd]) which definitely prevents them from being able to do something truly amazing all in one year.

Something people forget about these games is normal game creation time is anywhere from 2-4 years (or more considering Tiburon probably doesn't have as large of a set of programmers and such that other game developers have) for video games unless companies are just churning out complete shit. These guys are trying to do what normal companies do in 2 or 3 years in ~8 months with most likely less resources.