NCAA '11: Season 1 - Recruiting

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

NCAA '11: Season 1 - Recruiting

I know it's early and Dru's the only one to sign anyone, but post 'em here.

On another note, how was week 1 recruiting for you guys? I was pleasantly surprised. While I lost 2 guys from my board and didn't sign anyone, I gained ground on all recruits I talked to besides 2. In my offline's week 1, I lost ground on every recruit but 2, including the guys I talked to for an entire hour.

I'm wondering if this is just a fluke, or if 12 player OD recruiting is maybe easier than single player offline recruiting.

2. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

I got my ass handed to me. I may have moved up on the top schools list, but lost ground on #1 for 75% of my guys.

Of course that is what happens when you unlock, Least, Low and Very Low, rinse and repeat. Hopefully now that I took my lumps, this week will be good because I've got 2 chances to change topics when I see the low interest pop up.

3. jello1717

I was pretty appalled at how many L/VL/Least things popped up on my As and A+s. I'm thinking that I'm probably wasting my time on a few guys.

4. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I felt like everyone I unlocked was low...etc. I think there are a lot more of the low categories than everything else this year, making things like "Average" more valuable.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Texas got a commit from :4stars: CB Paul Harvey, and picked up a week 2 commit from a :3stars: kid to be named later.

Pretty happy with how my board is playing out so far, but I chose not to pursue several of the out of state kids that had me in their top 3. I'm trying to just fill depth this year so that next year when I only have 13 seniors I can pray for some Texas game-changers to be in the recruiting pool.

6. jello1717

I'm really interested to see how this plays out. I just finished week 7 of my offline dynasty and I'm getting my ass handed to me with AA recruiting. I've never spoken to more than 13 guys in a week (IE. I'm spending lots of time on the ones I do talk to) and I only went after a few (3 I think) :5stars: kids. Still, I'm going to end up with a horrifically bad recruiting class. So far, I've signed 2 people (1 :4stars: and 1 :3stars:)while having 9 kids signed from my top 13 (this 9 doesn't include the ones on my list that I wasn't speaking to). I've had 9 kids that I've been speaking to every week signed away from me! I can't wait to see what our OD looks like after week 7 or 8.

7. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Funny you say that but in the Legacy I got an insta-sign From a 3 star and I've never been happier b/c it meant I wouldn't go commitmentless (dictionary check please) for the regular season as I had feared. The recruiting is definitely tougher and I am afraid to cut anyone from my list b/c who knows if they can be replaced. Time will tell.

8. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

F*** recruiting.

:D

I'm going to take pride in going down with my ship, I can only hope that the band keeps playing till the final Bulldog plunges into the icy cold 3* ocean.

BTW - I'm definitely loving the recruiting, not only do you have to be afraid of other users, but now due to what cpu is #1 on the list, you might just decide to give up on the guy despite being within striking distance... when's the last time that ever happened in this game?

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Agreed, the recruiting is awesome this year.

10. jello1717

Michigan gets its first signing under coach Jello. It's the :4stars: #23 ranked DE Anthony Webb. He looks to be average at best and is fairly slow and undersized (a bad combination as it's okay to be fast and undersized or slow and beefy, but not slow AND undersized), but he's from California. His signing means that coach Jello is halfway to repairing his broken pipeline to California.

While being slow and undersized (6'6, 231 lbs, with C- spd and C ACC) coach Jello hopes that he can pack some LBs onto his impressive 6'6 frame. Webb has decent power moves and pursuit, and is average at pretty much everything else. He'll be a decent back up early on and will likely blossom into a starter later in his career.

11. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Canes pick up their first commit. A :4stars: Tackle.

12. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

:4stars: QB Jason Stone signed with the Bulldogs before the Miss St. game.

With B THP, C+ THA, and 6'4", Jason is what I felt was the #3 pro-style QB in this year's class. Since I gave him no promises, I can have him sit and progress over the next two years, hopefully three (more then likely Murray will go pro after his Junior year), then take over the starting position as a mature, and unrattlabled, upper classman.

Overall I consider this my first win and hope this guy turns out to be as good as I hope he's going to be.

On a side note, with Georgia not needing much, and with only 11? seniors graduating I truly hoped to be able to bring in 2 top 150 guys, plus get 3-4 more of the guys I really wanted... unfortunately this guy will probably be the only one 150 guy, and maybe one of two guys that I wanted on the team, instead of the, second bests I'm heading toward signing.

13. jello1717

Good luck with that! From all I've read, new recruits come in with horrendous AWR and they never get it up very high (IE. this guy will probably come in with 40 AWR and may finish as a SR(RS) with maybe 70 AWR if you're lucky.

14. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

That's what I've read too... but with all the bitching going on, I'm sure there will be a patch to adjust progression.

Unfortunate too, because with what everyone's been talking about it really sets up for what I've always wanted. 20-30 players in the Nation that are super stars, then you have a bunch of middle muck, and below the middle muck, a bunch of cannon fodder. Seems more realistic to me.

15. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I agree 100%. I hope they leave it the way it is. With the "physics" the way they are in this game, I think the progression they have lends itself perfectly to the LocoMotion engine.

16. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Oklahoma State signs a :3stars: Tackle this week

17. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

The only problem I have with the progression is that down the road, the make up of the rosters will never resemble the default roster. Now you can argue that they over rated everyone from the start, that the progression is broken, or that the 3* and 4* recruits coming in are rated too low. Whatever way you want to look at it, I still find it a problem that its basically two different games 4 years into dynasty mode.

I think its the 3* and 4* recruits coming in too low, along with a bit of a slow or smaller progression.

I've got 8 freshman on my team rated 70+ which, if I recruited all of them, would be like getting 8 5* guys the way things are now. That is way off. I think it will and needs to be patched in some way.

18. jello1717

I like that you don't end up with teams full of 90+ guys, but it sounds like the game is really broken in its current state. Here are examples that I've read about dynasty 6+ years in that are keeping me (after I verify it for myself by simming 6 years into a dynasty) from continuing my offline dynasty until this is fixed.

1. Kickers are so bad that they can't make 30 yard FGs or XPs (1 guy's kicker in a simmed season went 2/3 FGs and 3/34 XPs!). In games, kickers are so bad that the CPU won't even attempt FGs.

2. Some recruits are so horrible, that they have out of position guys playing (IE. CBs playing DE).

3. Because of the terrible recruits, most teams are worse than the freakin' FCS teams. (In 1 guy's simmed dynasty, 112/120 teams were rated D-!!!!). While I don't want 20+ A teams, having that many D- teams (that lose games against FCS teams in sims) is too broken for my tastes.

19. jello1717

Week 5:
    This week coach Jello became the first user coach to sign a :5stars: recruit. It's #26 overall, James Dougherty who is the 4th best tackle in the country. James is the #1 recruit in the state of Michigan and there was no way that coach Jello was going to let him leave the state or go to a lesser Michigan school. What's even better is the fact that tackle is a need position for the Wolverines.

Dougherty is quite the physical specimen. He is 6'4, 272 and is very strong. He has recorded the 7th highest bench press in the country and the very best squat in the country with a whopping 690 lb squat. To go with this strength, he has very good acceleration. While he's an average pass blocker, he is a very good run blocker so he will fit in very nicely with coach Jello's philosophy.

20. Masler

Masler Moderator

Alabama finds their first recruit Week 5.

:5stars: Center Jeff Wilcox from Rainbow City, Alabama has always dreamed of playing with the Crimson Tide since he first started rocket football. Well all that hard work on the field has paid off as Coach Masler convinces him to join the Crimson squad while fighting off fierce competitors such as Florida, Florida State and Auburn. He comes in with Balanced skills with pretty good Pass Blocking Skills, which is definitely needed in this game and has some decent strength. He might not see much of the field his freshmen year other than as a backup in a blow out but this kid will get some PT in the future for sure. Welcome to the team Jeff.

21. GoGators

Damn, I wanted Wilcox but I just couldn't overcome that Alabama pipeline. Nice snag on him, dude will be one of the most dominante linemen in the country by year 5.

22. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Boy, sorry to hear that... I hope it's not too upsetting being limited to 10 top 150 recruits instead of the 11 you had your heart set on. :D

BTW - Mark it down, I guarantee a Georgia win in Jacksonville... of course I'm talking about the coin flip, but I'm still guaranteeing the win!

23. jello1717

Yeah, it's really, really tough to go head to head with another school when they have a pipeline on the guy and you don't. Dru's trying to come into my backyard to sign a 4* FB (the #2 recruit from Michigan) and it's not going well for him so far.

24. Masler

Masler Moderator

I'm taking advantage of the pipeline, I have several on the verge of signing. A couple that aren't even in my pipeline.

25. GoGators

Agreed.

UF received a soft commit from the #1 CB on their board this week. We'll look to close the deal as we show him how dominant we are by kicking Bama's ass this week. Or, we'll show him how bad we need him when we can't stop Julio Jones. It's win win haha.

Also, Coach KSherm will look to close the deal on another prospect next week if all goes according to plan.