NCAA 12 Demo is out

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Natural, Jun 28, 2011.

1. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

I am still at work so I don't have any impressions so far but from another site:

-there's a new option in the Super Sim menu to watch the play as it's simmed
    -the play calling menus are MUCH better than last year. It defaults to having X, A and Y each select a separate play and there is none of the latency moving through the menus that annoyed me last year. It's very fast and responsive.
    -kicking meter is the same
    -the game feels like it plays noticeably faster than NCAA '11. Hard for me to say if it plays as fast as '10 was since we're so far removed, but I doubt that it does.
    -there's no instant replay in the demo, so I wasn't able to analyze line interaction or how well zone coverage is as much as I would have liked to but if I had to guess, I would say that it appears that most players still are too deep on their zones
    -for most defensive formations, they've actually changed Cover 3 away from the default one they've used for years now in both EA games. One of the safeties now has flat duties instead of being in a hook zone.

I have it set to download on my 360 from the web but I won't get to play it until late tonight :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  2. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Yeah, I just downloaded it myself. I'll let everyone know my thoughts after getting my hands dirty. Thanks for the info!

3. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Hell of a game fuzzy I'm telling you

4. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I can finally play d-line again and not control a MLB or Safety to cover up the glaring zone defense issues. Also, It has been impossible for me to stop Bama run game. I only played two quick games earlier though, I will have better impressions in a couple hours.

5. The Natural

Even If they made zone perfect I think I will always control a MLB or safety. The CPU can't anticipate or bait a human's throws. All the impressions sound good so far though.

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I enjoyed the game I played... a lot.

7. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

The CPU is actually a challenge, I have never had so much fun losing games

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Natural

Just played the demo Texas vs Oregon . Won my game as Texas 28-7 on Heisman level.

The comination tackles are really cool, makes player intraction seem much more organic
    QB AI Improved: QB now takes off if no one is open and does not force stupid passes
    Game seems faster
    Crowd reacts realistically to big plays and hits
    School intro's were cool
    Play calling screen is much quicker

Dislikes:
    Where is my 3D grass??
    Graphics seem unimproved
    Nagging AI issue: CPU threw a streak to slot WR and my safety, who was in man coverage, did some crazy glitch move and allowed him to catch it for a TD

Will post more impressions next time I get a chance to play.

9. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

I played quite a bit yesterday and here are some of my impressions: All games played on All-American

The first game I played as Texas vs. Oregon. Right out the gate I loved the new background screens. It really gets you in the ESPN mindset. I really enjoyed watching the Texas Intro. However, I do think over tine it might be a feature that I skip past. Now, I hope EA doesn't remove them because it's a part of college football and it needs to be in the game.

Kickoff and Return:
    The players seem to be getting down the field a lot faster. I really like the camera angle while kicking off. There is more opportunity I feel to return a kickoff though. Better know who their stud returner is. Stay outside!!!

Offense:
    The play-calling screen has the X, Y, A option back which is really neat. But they make you scroll down within formations instead of across which is new and a little annoying. It will take some getting used too.

Running:
    There seems to a good running game. The line gets after it. As far as the interaction it's hard to say. But there are holes. The RB's seem to be a lot quicker. Accerleration, Agility, and Quickness/Speed will matter. LaMichael James is quick as hell. The zone read works but you gotta call it at the right time. I haven't had a good QB keep off it yet. Still get tackled quick. However, the CPU had some pretty ones against me. The CPU AI on run game and scrambling is much better. Counters still suck!!!! Draws are ok. No shovel passes that I notice which is complete BULL SHIT!!

Passing:
    Well zone coverage has been Improved!! It's not over kill, but it's effective. Threw 2 picks first game and lost. None since then. I learned my lesson. You gotta find them in that dead zone. 4 Verts will be calmed down. When you find yourself in 3rd and long. You're in trouble. Get ready to punt. The new zone defense really takes away a lot of deep throws. Underneath you're ok. Playactions have improved. Bubble routes are great depending on the defensive call. Screens haven't tried with WR. RB screens seem harder. Defense reads them quick to me.

Defense:
    I love the new tackling engine. I wish they had the old one too so we could have a crap load of animations. Gang tackles are better. D-Line rush is good. I'm getting at least 2 to 3 sacks a game. Maybe this is because the zone defense is better. Man defense is still decent as well. Run defense, you gotta get off blocks or blitz into it. If not you're in trouble against speed backs.

Punt Returns:
    You finally have a chance

FG's:
    I've had as far as a 46 yd. Need more FG opportunities.

Overall:
    I think it's a good game. Is it breath taking or earth shadering. No. But I'm satisfied. It plays smoother than 11 and feels different in my hands. Graphics don't seemed to much improved. But that's minor considering Everybidy preaches gameplay!! I'm satisfied and I think most people should be too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Nice input Koach Vonner , but what are you talking about on counters? They were damn near money plays last year it seemed like. I hope they did get toned down, especially if they aren't set up. I'd also differ with you on HB screens, and hope those get toned down as well as they were often bail out plays that the AI would just plain fuck up on and hand my opponnents a first down after I got em into third and long. I haven't played it much, but also hope your prediction about 4 verts is true. I'm a defensive minded guy (by a long shot) and it just pissed me the hell off when my opponnents would just run a slot post or 4 vert after I knocked em back to 3rd and 15.

[/rant]

11. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I think he was talking about the Shotgun Counters, which I disagree with him on, they are much improved this year, which is good because last year they were a guaranteed 5 yards loss 97% of the time. Also when it isn't glitching and you can hand off to the RB, the pistol zone reads are much much better. And Pistol-Spread may be my new favorite formation, RNS from the pistol? yes please.

12. The Natural

Also I noticed from last night my RB dropped every single pass. Once I had him wide open on a wheel route 40 yards down field and he dropped it. More impressions from others: