NCAA '12 Overdrive Rule Discussion

Discussion in 'Overdrive' started by ClayRocks, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Any concern's or idea's you have about our rules or league settings, let's discuss them here. I cannot say guarantee anything will be change or modified, because what we have does work. However, I am open to some ideas and definately some discussion.

So, with that said, What say you?

2. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Current 4th Down Rules:

O.1.0 - Going on 4th Down: We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:
    • Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to for it on 4th down.
    • If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    • If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.
    O.1.A - There are exceptions to these 4th down rules that will be handled on a league-by-league basis. Unless it is otherwise stated, these rules are law.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, we are trying to keep it sim and on 4th down 9/10 times teams with punt or kick a FG, even when it is 4th and 1. I don't users going for it on 4th down too often. It should be a once or maybe twice a game occurence.

What about this: (just an idea to get things rolling)

- If it is a 7 point game or less, inside the 25, you can go for it on 4th. ????

3. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Not in your league, but it's an interesting post. It seems like when it's a close game like that is when you'd be more apt to take the FG. Whereas if you're losing by 2 scores, you might want to try and get back in the game, especially if your opponent has a high powered offense.

4. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

clay i agree with your post. sounds good. i do feel like if my team is up 7 points and im WELL in fg range that 10 out of 10 teams will kick the fg. however if its inches i can see them going for it OCCASIONALLY. its a fine line there needs to be SET RULES on this bc everyones opinion is different. im glad we are discussing this now before the new game comes out.

5. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

i think when it comes to sim, we should go by what happens the majority of the time in real life. I believe most coaches are conservative and usually take the field goal whether fourth quarter or not. I think we need to have a concrete rule and not leave it open to interpretation or we'll have people who get upset when someone goes for it on fourth and they feel the opponent should've kicked.

6. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Good point guys. I agree with ya'll, sim is our goal and standard. It's a tough rule b/c you can't leave things up for interpretation. It is and needs to be black and white.

7. jtthirtyfour

jtthirtyfour Walk On

i think field position matters a lot, not so much the score or the time remaining in the game. you see a lot of FGs in the nfls with a lot more on the line, NCAA ball i believe you'll see more going for it on 4th down esp when inside the 30 or so, as kickers usually aren't as automatic at that range as they are in the nfl. last year i had a kicker who only had like 60 kick power, in real life the coach probably would've gone for it with a 4th-and-5 at the 25 yard line but for me that's a punt as my guy couldn't make the FG from that far.

8. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I think between the 30 and 40 a user should be able to go for it if their field goal kicker does not have much success from 40-50 yards out. Nobody wants to punt from inside the 40, but if they only have the range to kick from the 25 than they should be able to go for it on 4th and 3-8. Obviously users would have to be honest about this and be able to govern themselves which shouldn't be too much of a problem.

9. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

I agree with Kapono. I believe in my game with Gwill be both went for in on forth and 1 inside the forty. I had no problem with either play. I would appear to be in the minority on this, but I think inside the 50 it should be your choice. Outside this league people are going for it at there own 20 in the first quarter which is nuts. I have no problem with someone going for it in my territory, it's my job to stop them. Maybe I'll feel different if the kickers end up being a little better next year or the sliders are changed.

10. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

My proposal.

If winning team is in red zone and up by 4 or more in the 4th quarter then they must attempt a FG. Every kicker should be in range to that point. Exceptions: If its 2 minutes or less on the clock you can go for it at your own discretion if its 4th and 1 or less and try and put the game away completely.

If losing team team is down by 2 TDs or more and its 4 minutes or less on the clock in the 4th quarter they may go for it whenever they may like at their own discretion. More than 4 minutes then you must punt the ball or attempt FG unkess you are in the red zone.
    If losing team is down 7 or fewer then they may go for it whenever they like only inside 2 minutes in 4th quarter.

Im not saying this should be concrete but there needs to be something concrete like Charleston said earlier bc everyones interpretation is different. but i think this is a good start.

thoughts?

11. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

I'm good with either Cocky's proposal or Big King. The only suggestion with Big King is that if we are going to follow TSO rules and allow you to go for it whenever you want past the fifty it must be one yard or less for first down. So if it is 4th and 2 you have to kick or punt. I know we all want to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to knowing if your kicker can make it or not but we need black and white rules that won't be misinterpreted. These are just some idea guidelines open for suggestions.

*Between 50yd line and 30 yd line must be one yard or less for first down

*If inside the 30 yd line must be two yards or less for first down

(if trailing and it is the fourth quarter you can go whenever you want)

I think with 8 minute quarters there is plenty of time in the fourth quarter to make a come back. If losing by multiple scores even in first half you must follow these rules. In real life you would have to make adjustments to offense and defense to get back into the game and with 8 minute quarters there is no reason why you can't.

I'm open for POSITIVE criticism, Cocky Marine, so let me know what you think.

Oh and whatever we decide we need to try and keep it some what simple so when we are playing user games online we don't have to go searching for the rule book to see if what we want to do is legal. Even though I have a print out copy next to the xbox for personal reference, doesn't mean everyone has to ;)

12. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

13. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Personally, I would say the rules on this issue should remain what they are. It seems to be the simplest way to manage sim play and allow for some aggressive play.

I just wanted to start some conversation, while we still have time, about league rules.

Clay votes: Keep current 4th down rule :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Sounds good for sure. Keep it simple and stay with what works!

15. jtthirtyfour

jtthirtyfour Walk On

current rules are fine w/me.

16. pnc

pnc Walk On

I think were trying to hard. I agree keep it the way it is. You can only go for it on 4th and 1 or less once you pass midfield. if your getting blown out in the second half then go for it. 2012 will be my third year with these sim rules and theres not been much problems.

17. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

I like Cocky Marine's proposal, but I also agree with Charleston saying with 8 minute quarters you should have plenty of time to make a comeback. In two of my user games this season I've managed to comeback from deficits of 10+ points. I have no problems with going for it on 4th and 1/inches past midfield, but I would make suggestions of not using the goalline formation outside the 10 yard line (which hasn't been a problem), if you are down by less than three scores punt, and I would also say no going for it in the first quarter except for in the red zone.