Information NCAA 13 Impressions

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by RynoAid, Jul 6, 2012.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

post em up

2. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

WR/DB interaction is the thing that stands out most, aside from the gorgeous visuals (can't even imagine what M13 will look like). Passing trajectories are a thing of beauty.

As far as TGT's review, I think zones are perfectly fine. On top of that, I've had no issues (on heisman against cpu and hum) getting pressure wtih a good front four. RynoAid do they even need to patch the zone stuff? Or can they just do a tuning update?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I've actually had both of these issues. Line play seems completely neutered (I got 2 sacks in a lobby game because the guy waited to long to throw, offline there was a total of 4 TFLs with no sacks in my first game).

The zone coverage from either team in either game I've played so far has been absolutely atrocious.

If this isn't what other people have been experiencing, hopefully it evens itself out a bit.

4. Kaos

Kaos Walk On

I would like to know what the Game Changers impressions are.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

me and MartyWebb had a play where I penched D-Line and DT ran past the QB and RB before he stopped on his 3 step drop, panic came next , followed by pick 6. Hope that shifting the D-Line does not cause issues & it was a 1 time thing

6. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

I don't have the game, but I think it may not be necessarily zone's that's the problem. Dudes can literally place the ball ANYWHERE they want to this year if you give them time.

Zones are gonna get picked apart if you're only rushing 3 or 4 in this game. That's why when I usually run zone, I blitz/send pressure. I'm gonna send at least 5 guys, or disguise pressure to come from one side. You can't let guys be comfortable this year, but that's based on my time from the demo though.

EDIT: No, I won't send a blitz every play. But on passing downs, pressure has to be sent or you're gonna get picked apart.

7. Jordan Kleinedler

Jordan Kleinedler Walk On

Felt like the run game was the same, put the new passing game is great.

8. I Peench

Pinched?

Hanging out with me to much hombre!

9. I Peench

I've played 2 cpu games on Heisman and 3 user games, definitely getting pressure with the front 4 in user games. CPU Heisman is tough, glad there are slideres.

Think the zone stuff is a bi overblown, but I've seen some fails for sure.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  10. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Yeah....and that happened.

Four men seemed to have gotten a lot of pressure for me vs. User, against the computer I'll still have to work on. Broken Zones and Man Coverage happens in real life, nothing I've seen so far that seems out of the ordinary except maybe one play against Danthraxxx where after a long time, he hit an open receivers with 6 of my guys forming a 10-yard wide circle around him. Great pass on his part, just shotty coverage on that play.

11. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Two head to head games in and I am finding it hard to move the ball on the ground. I welcome the challenge though

12. Westlake_88

Westlake_88 Walk On

Check out Operation Sports, they're really harsh.

13. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I've played 2 games so far with default AA and I've been getting my ass handed to me repeatedly. I run a spread option attack and I can't move the ball to save my life (I guess the ridiculous success I had in the demo must've been the varsity setting, but I haven't, nor will I, tried varsity on the release version). I was beaten down by aOSU while using Michigan and I was just bitched slapped 34-7 (pick 6 so I had 0 offensive points) by TAMU while using SMU. My 94 OVR HB had 29 yds on 11 carries. :( I need to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong on offense and I'll worry about my terrible defense later.

• Like Like x 1
  14. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I've played three games vs a buddy, watched him play an online game and a Heisman Challenge game. I've also simmed through a dynasty season. My thoughts...

Gameplay

The first thing I noticed is the CBs play way off the receivers waaaay too often. It is much too easy to exploit this with curls and slants.

The precision passing is also kinda touchy. I'm not sure if it is just me needing to get used to it or if it needs to be tuned. However, I am having a real hard time hitting the outside back shoulder as they advertised. Almost every time I try this it is underthrown and picked off...

I do like the improved trajectories and receiver animations. Occasionally the receivers seems to speed up and almost warp for the catch, but for the most part the animations seem much more organic.

I feel like the players watch their zones better and some of last year's exploits aren't as easy this year. On the other hand, I feel like it is pretty easy to move the ball tghrough the air, even on Heisman.

The sounds are amazing. I really like the sound of the ball being booted off the punter's foot and a lot of the crowd noise. I'm even entertained at times by the new commentary from Herbie.

The colors do seem a little washed out and the field (grass) still looks very flat in game. I'm not crazy about the motion blur but I guess it adds a demention to the broadcast feel .

Dynasty

I'm concerned about the polls still. Maybe moreso than last year. Not sure about the sim engine either. I simmed a season with USC and they were blown out 34-0 by Utah but then went undefeated and were #2 going into the conference championships. Utah had one loss also in the Pac 12 but got the CC game nod. TCU also went 11-1 with one loss in confernce (on the road at Tech) but then won out including four straight wins over ranked opponents. The Hirned Frogs were #1 going into CC games even though they were not playing in the Big 12 champ game (kinda weird this happened to top two teams in the country at that point).

USC got jumped after the CC games and wound up being #3 and going to the Fiesta Bowl. Barkley got hurt and played less than half the season. Three different QBs threw for over 600 yards for USC. I'm not sure if that was due to injuries or poor performance though. USC also wound up being a C-C+ on play style for pocket passer and overall QB. Kinda weird considering Barkley wound up going 1st round. I think it is based off of yards per game but this was affected by the unjury and lesser QBs playing. I think maybe percentage of pass plays called may be a better indicator as people could just cheese up four verts and rack up tons of passing and then pound the ball in at the goalline and get HB recruits too.

I do like the draft after players leaving. I love the options you have to convince players to stay although I am slightly concerned it still may be too easy to sway them. On the other hand, none of the guys I was convincing was projected to go earlier than the third round so that was probably realistic. It was interesting to see a lot of 87-90 OVR players being drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds. I'm very curious as to what the game uses to determine this.

Overall

For the most part, the game feels very similar to NCAA 12. However, there are notable improvements to line and DB/WR interactions and to dynasty mode. The Heisman Challenge even seemed kind of fun (although extremely unrealistic statistically). I have noticed the game lagging in several areas and even completey freezing when editing a player name so that is a concern.

With all that being said I would probably give the game about a B right now. Its early and that could go up or down. Its not terrible by any means but its not blowing me away either. I feel like the "20 years" that EA is promoing could have been better planned to really blow us away and celebrate that. However, at the same time, I think we've made strides in many area and there is quite a bit of potential. Unfortunately, I think we may need another tuner update and maybe a patch to really get the game to where it needs to/ could be.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

That would be like Harvard students going to community college library bud

• Like Like x 1
  16. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Yeah my iPhone has learned to spell cheese like Cheez now , so I might as well just claim to be illiterate :D

• Like Like x 3
  17. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I only played Custom Matches against AJ Hart MN so my play with the game so far is limited. I played as Pitt and USC. He played as Michigan twice. We played Heisman difficulty.

The read option works great from what I saw with Denard in both matchups. The back was having some difficulty on a lot of runs though out of the read option. I did not see a single big run, and really was averaging 0-3 yards per rush. Not sure if they were bad reads or just something is a bit messed up. The speed option neither of us could get to work at all. We tried a few different sets.

The running game itself, seemed a bit more difficult. I really only had success with power runs and the occasional stretch play. AJ had zero success running the ball either game.

The passing game is amazing. You have to read the defense, and actually wait for routes to develop. And then, if coverage is tight, you have to put that ball on the money. Man coverage is greatly improved this year, and good CBs can really shut down a good receiver. The defense on the slants is much improved. It is very, very difficult to get pressure with your front 4. Unless you user a player, it is tough. I found it impossible though to cheese with my DT (@screwthebcs )

The catch animations are fantastic. Some really nice catches on some balls, and these will never get old.

The crowd noise was much improved going from Heinz Field to The Coliseum.

That's really all I can input after just two games, and both custom matches.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

PAgamer07 I played 2-3 games vs MartyWebb , and I thought I got good pressure with Oregon front four. I too had big time trouble running , in fact my only 2 plays that resulted in a big gain on the ground was a QB keeper on speed option where Marty had too man guys stacked on weak side when I ran strong side , and a QB designed draw out of 5 wide. We were on Heisman so I wonder if it's just e difficulty ? For what it is worth he had BC & UCLA , I also noticed pass protection is not good at all vs the blitz.

19. PAgamer07

Yeah the blitz was really the only time I got pressure unless i usered a DE. I actually had success with the run, first game Ray Graham of Pitt had 129 yards on 17 carries or something. Second game, I was around 80 yards on 19 carries with the back out of USC.

20. JixMyPon

JixMyPon Walk On

So far I kind of like it more than I thought I was going to, simply based off of how terrible '12 was and the demo lacking a lot of things.

Did experience one bug so far though. Played as Barry Sanders in Heisman Challenge, and towards end of the game my digital Barry started running in slow motion on every play w/o the "Reaction Time" gimmick being used, and would then freeze in the position he was tackled in while the other players moved along.

Hopefully, it was a one time thing.

All in all, the passing game is great offensively. Running without a solid line and RB is going to be a challenge it seems, but that's kind of realistic if you think about it.

Waiting to play more games to see if I experience the same line play issues y'all have seen.

21. PAgamer07

Oh yeah, did notice a bug and it's annoying as hell and has been reported to Shaun Mason

When playing a user game, if your opponent has the bar with all of the audibles, etc on you can see it. These are hidden by pushing right stick in.

22. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

well I may just be God awful at teh game then , I have not played NCAA 12 since Novemeber so I hope its just ring rust. I also was running Oregon spread offense , which is new to me for the most part.

23. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Tihis year its about the WRs vs DBs and improvement in the interaction between the two. There are more reactions to the receivers cuts in and out of breaks, making their chances of creating some separation better, on the other end they toned down the DB's completely random make up speed. Passing will definitely be fun this year and as equally frustrating on D, the new passing controll allow for more realistic throws IMO. I managed to turn an out route in to a hitch by throwing it down and away with the defender siting on the out. Put that with the new catching animations and I'm happy thus far. As for running blocking seems improved but I truly haven't gotten into my ground game yet to judge entirely.. more soon

Recruiting, I think it is good they took some of the guess work out of recruiting, scouting is a plus in my book and with a needs indicator within the positions tab you don't have to go back to team needs its up front for you. The added attention to team rating is also appreciated Playing style, playing time and proximity to home are what it seems like based on stats (play style) roster build (playing time now changes as prospects sign) and the bonuses now given to closer schools (proximity.) Lastly the newer features in searching for players (which I have ever used) seem useful you now can search my Commitment status interest in schools and tendency.

24. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

This is what I'm seeing too (and I almost always make the right read). When the end crashes, the QB has room to run and if that QB is Denard, he can get some great yards. The end, however rarely ever crashes (particularly against Denard, which is a very smart thing) and instead stays at home against the QB, forcing the give to the HB. The problem is that some backside guy (occasionally a linemen, but frequently some blitzing backer or even safety) usually flies through the line untouched and smacks the HB in the mouth.

• Like Like x 1
  25. PAgamer07

What difficulty Jello?