NCAA 13 - One conference set up (SEC)

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, May 22, 2012.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I have a thought for setting up a 16 team SEC that I think would make for a fun user conference and I'm curious what some of you would think (except for Cheez who we know won't approve).

Basically, I'm thinking that you add FSU and Miami to the SEC East, and move Mizzou to the SEC West. Moving Mizzou to the West makes more geographic sense and allows them to remain a division rival of fellow Big 12 alum Texas A&M. FSU/Miami in the SEC East creates a really dynamic Florida rivalry trio with the Gators.

recchem2000
    gowazzucougs
    Jayrah
    Wyrmreaver
    Kapono
    Bulldog
    Boom29
    MexiRican35

I think Zach is also interested in a 1 conference setup, and I know wyrm and kapono aren't really (for different reasons) but I thought it would be good to see what the rest thought.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Is it too late to pitch my two conference idea? MAC / MWC?

3. Dru50

I don't think it's too late for anything....

4. Cheez

Cool. Then I can keeep throwing out ideas until people forget that someone wants to move teams around - which screws up the scheduling engine and results in CPU teams getting 11 games and users getting conference games in week one.

I could use this time to rant, but it is a beautiful day outside, and there is a mizuno iron fitting for me to go to

5. Dru50

Honestly, CPU scheduling can get messed up any time you change a user schedule, even if only to remove things like FCS teams off user schedules. Having everyone in one conference would make scheduling easier, as there would be no need to worry about balancing OOC user games. If you are really worried about some CPU teams having 11 games, then you should just leave scheduling alone entirely regardless of the conference set up.

Why are you still so against any discussion of moving teams? If the last two years in real college football has shown anything it's that times are changing and the conference landscape is fluid.

6. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

uploadfromtaptalk1337703935297.jpg

7. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Im all for this set up...ive been pushing the one conference thing for awhile now.

8. Wyrmreaver

16 team SEC, 5-6 user games per year, lots of recruiting competition and regional rivalries..... if Cheez can get over his hangup about conference realignment i kind of like this setup.

9. Wyrmreaver

Also, you could just stage a coup and try to become our premeire commish and freeze cheez out :p

10. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Cheez

I hate to break this to you, the SEC schedules game Week 1, 2, 3 all the time. See this year Vanderbilt v. South Carolina Week 1 on Thursday night. Unlike the other conferences who have all conference games down the stretch in October and November, the SEC plays non conference games, usually patsies in November See Alabama. The week before the Iron Bowl the Crimson Tide takes on the mighty football school Western Carolina. In addition in Week 3 the Tide travels to Fayeteville to play the Razorbacks. Throughout the whole month of September there is at least one SEC conference game being played. Also the reason for this is because they only play 8 conference games, and not nine, and that is a discussion we should have as well.

While in the Big 10 the first conference games begin September 29 and the PAC-12 begins conference play September 22 because they play 9 games instead of 8.

I am not saying your concerns about scheduling bugs are not legitimate, but we must recognize this year's game had more bugs than anyone of us could shake a stick at. What needs to happen is when we get the game we test out the online dynasty feature simming 3 or 4 seasons and see how custom conferences/customize scheduling affects the other schools. If there are still concerns we can address them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Also bringing FSU in the SEC could realistically happen at the moment. Maybe the school is just pouting because they don't like the ACC TV Deal. Maybe they will go to the Big 12, who knows. But any argument against bringing FSU in the SEC is not realistic I have the best rebuttal via The Solid Verbal Podcast.

12. Wyrmreaver

Maybe instead if FSU and Miami you bring in FSU and Clemson? Like the U Clemson is a rival with FSU plus has their"big" rivalry with an SEC school (south carolina).

The more i think about it the more i like a one conference, 16 team setup

13. Dru50

I agree, Clemson makes a lot of sense.

14. Wyrmreaver

I say lets do it.... making it 16 teams lessens the user games a bit which was kaponos and my concerns. Tons of good/interesting teams and rivalries. If basically everybody is down for it, Cheez has to come around right?

gowazzucougs
    recchem2000
    Jayrah
    Dru50
    MexiRican35
    Kapono
    Boom29

Im missing someone....

15. Wyrmreaver

Bulldog is who i missed, sorry man!

16. Dru50

I really want to try this. I've done the 2 conference and 3 conference set up to death over the past 3 game cycles. I think this setup would be a blast and instead of everyone worrying about NC's in this setup just winning the conference will be a true accomplishment.

17. Wyrmreaver

I like it..... sounds like recchem and cougs are both down.... that's 4 of ten, lets see what everyone else says. If we get like 8 guys in favor we need to make it happen imo

18. Dru50

I'm thinking something along these lines of user teams in each division:

SEC West - users at LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Mizzou and Arkansas. CPU Miss and Miss St.
    SEC East - users at FSU (added), Clemson (added), Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee. CPU Vandy and Kentucky.

The CPU teams that would probably be roadkill in this setup are historically bad teams anyway. And if we avoid overscheduling the OOC big boys like USC, OSU, Texas, etc then those teams will likely stay in the top 10-20 and remain relevant.

19. Wyrmreaver

Also, since you have 5-6 user games you dont have to worry quite as much about cpu being competetive. Not that you want everyone blasting them, but if you have 6 user games the last thing you want is to tack on 2-3 cpu losses. Plus, those OOC teams will keep us on our toes in recruiting if we dont beat up on them (kinda same as you said). Put another way, real SEC schools rarely schedule "tough" OOC games because the conference is so competetive, we shouldnt be any different.

20. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

I don't like one conference leagues

21. Cheez

First: Moving two teams over from the ACC to the SEC.... that isn't completely, other-worldly, unreasonable. The SEC becomes a 16 team superconference, the ACC continues to have their conference championship game with 12 teams.

Second: I would rather move Georgia Tech than Clemson. My reasons are two-fold:
    1. Balance: Given that we are taking Florida State, taking Clemson would be stealing a 2nd team from the same division. Syracuse and Pitt are slated to head into opposite divisions, so there would be a balance issue.
    2. Rivalry: Georgia Tech and Georgia have a rivalry, just as Clemson and South Carolina do. However, with Bulldog being a UGA fan, I'm sure he would love someone to hate in this league. Wyrmreaver - how would you like to take over an option team?
    Im kind of warming to this idea - but dont push it.

22. Bulldog

lol its ok

23. Bulldog

i can do 2 but one i hate

24. Dru50

Why is it unreasonable? There is a story on ESPN's front page today that is talking about how FSU and Clemson (football over basketball athletic departments) are looking to possibly move to the Big 12 due to their dislike of the new ACC setup and the television deal the conference agreed to. Those teams make way more sense in the SEC than the Big 12, both from a geography standpoint as well as a rivalry standpoint.

I think moving Georgia Tech instead of Clemson makes sense as well. I just don't see how you can call any conference realignment 'completely, other-wordly, unreasonable' when in just the last year we've seen A&M/Mizzou move to the SEC, WVU and TCU move to the Big 12 and agreements are in place for Syracuse/Pitt to move to the ACC and Boise St to go to the Big East. Nothing is unreasonable in the current environment of conference realignment in college football.

25. Dru50

Can you elaborate on why? Just curious....