NCAA 13 RTG series: M-O-D-O-C spells what?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Drifterbub, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Figured I would take another opportunity to sharpen some video editing and capturing skills in a Road to Glory series on NCAA 13 that follows a player in my likeness through his senior year of high school and beyond. I imported a teambuilder design of my high school as well as 9 other high schools from my district back home in Waco, Tx. Feel free to comment here in this thread as well as like the youtube videos that follow. Hope you enjoy the journey!

On a cold Friday night last September at Pirate Stadium the entire town of Bellmead, TX filled the stands to cheer on their La Vega Pirates. It was just as any other Friday night, the anticipation of the entire town led up to a spirited week of practice cultivating in a pep-rally just hours before kick-off. The atmosphere was ripe with sound from the marching band and chants from the cheerleaders on the sidelines. The crowd roared with excitement and did their best to drown out the calls of the opposing offense with fog horns and homemade noise makers. However, none of it was loud enough to cover up the crack of Ronnie Hurst's clavicle popping. His Junior year of high school was taken from him on a routine play in just the third game of what looked to be a promising season.

FIXED - collar-bone-xray.jpg
    So brought on a vigorous off-season of two surgeries, months of rehabilitation and numerous personal hurdles, but the hunger to get back on the field drove Hurst to a full recovery. "It wasn't an easy thing for me to watch my teammates struggle without me" Hurst said. "I want to finish what we started, I want to take this team into the playoffs and to a state title."​
    Coming from a small 3A school such as La Vega High School (LVHS) of which do not generally get thoroughly recruited, Hurst has still not received a lot of interest from FBS schools. He aims to change that in his senior campaign and prove to the world that he is back and deserving of a roster spot and a scholarship to a large university. "You are going to see me want it more. Enjoy it more" he said. "I know from last year that any play can be my last and I'm not going to be taking that for granted."​
    profile.png
    Ronnie Hurst​
    OLB - Waco La Vega​
    6'2'' 210 lbs​
    The summer leading up to his final season at LVHS was a busy one. Hurst did what it took to impress a few scouts and get invited to a few junior combines. During the Houston SPARQ competition he busted onto the scene by posting a 79 rating (4.55 40 yard dash, 34" vertical jump). A lot of schools reassured Hurst that they would be in touch and that he was on their "radar" for fall evaluations. However, his focus turned towards his final high school season and what he had to do.​
    Season Schedule​
    v Teague Lions (W 17-10)
    v Lorena Leopards (W 28-21)
    @ Robinson Rockets (L 20-17)
    v Hillsboro Eagles (W 14 -0)
    v West Trojans (W 17-3)
    @ Troy Trojans (L 23 - 7)
    v Mart Panthers (W 16-0)
    @ China Spring Cougars (W 24-0)
    v Connaly Cadets* (W 13-0)
    Playoffs:​
    Round 1 - v #3 Cleburne (9-0)

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Lions Fail to Launch - Lose to Pirates in First Game
    teague.png
    Hurst pressures Teague QB Jason Munson in La Vega's season opening victory​
    Teague Lions - 10​
    La Vega Pirates - 17​
    The season opener turned out to be a defensive struggle. Thankfully for the Pirates, they have OLB Ronnie Hurst who led the team with 4 tackles (1 SOLO, 3 AST, 2 QB Hurries). La Vega gave up a late touchdown to make the score seem closer than it was. Teague's offense struggled to do anything racking up less than 200 yards of offense and only completing 25% of their passes.​

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Lorena Runs out of Big Plays while Hurst is Difference Maker for Pirates
    Lorena-INT.png
    Hurst Intercepts Leopards QB Joe Wesley late in the 4th Qtr​

Lorena Leopards (0-2) - 21
    La Vega Pirates (2-0) - 28

Lorena is known for their gritty play on the field and they traded punches with La Vega on Friday night. The pirates put together methodical drives utilizing their power gound game only to have the Leopards jump back into the game on the back of big plays down the field. Lorena QB Joe Wesley showed off his cannon as Leopard wide receivers constantly found holes in the Pirates defensive backfield for big plays. La Vega OLB Ronnie Hurst (6 tackles, TFL, FF, INT) stepped up when the Pirates needed stops in the fourth quarter after going 3-and-out on their final three drives. Hurst forced a fumble from Lorena HB Geoff Lamb early in the 4th when the Leopards had drove deep into La Vega territory. After another punt with 1:15 left in the game, Hurst intercepted QB Wesley on the first play of the drive that would allow La Vega to kneel out the rest of the clock and seal their victory.

Lorena-fumble.png
    Hurst lodges the ball loose while delivering a huge blow to HB Geoff Lamb​
    Ronnie received a couple letters of intent from some local schools and a phone call from Head Coach David Bailiff. Coach Bailiff and Hurst had a long conversation about Rice University and where he would fit within the program. "I never considered Rice in the past, but I'll be keeping in touch with Coach Bailiff," said Hurst. "Right now I'm focused on next week's game - Robinson."​

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Robinson gets the Win on the Arm of QB Rowdy Yates
    Robinson.png
    Robinson Rockets (2-1) - 20​
    La Vega Pirates (2-1) - 17​
    A tough loss is tougher on the kids who left their blood and sweat on the field. The Pirates fought hard and held a very powerful Rocket's offense mostly in check. Again the big play proved to be the chink in the armor for La Vega. Robinson QB Rowdy Yates was under pressure the entire game, mostly from LB Ronnie Hurst (7 Tackles, 3 AST, 5 QBH), and was forced into throwing two INTs. However, he managed to bounce back and launched a 54 yard bomb with only 1:43 left in the game to go up 20-17. La Vega would march down the field after QB Joey Choate connected to WR Kent Kuzniarek for a 34 yard toss to put the ball on the Rockets 22 yard line with :42 seconds left in the game. The ensuing field goal to tie the game and send it into overtime was WIDE RIGHT and the Pirates dropped their first game of the season.​
    A distraught Hurst was seen in the locker room throwing stuff around.​
    Rice called again this week, this time it was LB coach Nate Cummings. "They offered," said Hurst. "I'm excited and could definitely see myself at Rice, but I'm not in a place to commit just yet. I'm going to worry about that at the end of the season. I'm really excited and grateful to have this offer."​
    "Recruiting is starting to heat up a little, I just haven't had time to focus on it," said Hurst after being asked who was recruiting him upon exiting the locker room. "UTEP, Texas State and Tulsa all sent me letters this week. That's about it."​

5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Thank the twitter account for pointing me here, haha.

Following- I like these and having Drifter doing it should be interesting.

6. RaaUmber

RaaUmber Walk On

Drifter, I'd love to see more from this RTG. Interestsd in seeing how things pan out with a lb.I
    do
    have one question: is the x-ray from a break you suffered in your junior year? Just wondering.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Thanks for the comment! I have more games played and highlights grabbed. I just need to find the time to put it together.

The break is from google. However, I suffered a separated shoulder and torn rotator cuff my Sophomore year, so it has some parallelism.

Look for more updates in March.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Pirates escape tough road bout with victory
    Hillsboro.png
    OLB Ron Hurst puts pressure on Eagles QB late in the game​
    The last thing La Vega needed to do this week was go down I-35 to Hillsboro, TX and get lost in last week's tough game. Hillsboro is a gritty team and can really grind opponents down in the ground game, so it was important for the Pirates to force their offense to do things they weren't comfortable with, like protecting the QB from a very relentless MODOC pass rush.​
    La Vega helped their chances early on in the game by jumping out to a 14 point lead thanks to the Pirate defense winning the field position battle and capturing short field opportunities. OLB led the team with 6 tackles, 1 TFL and a sack as Hillsboro struggled to move the ball consistently all game. It was a good thing to as the La Vega offense failed to muster any drives of their own, resulting in a very uneventful 14-0 game.​
    "We needed this win after dropping last week's game, I'm still not happy with it" said a contempt Hurst. "We still have some things that are holding us back and it's going to take a lot of practice. We have to put in the work." ​
    When asked about the latest on his recruitment, Hurst reluctantly shook his head. "Again, that's not my focus. I keep telling all the coaches that are calling me that I'll take my visits when I'm ready to do so." said Hurst. "They are putting a lot of pressure on me to take visits and even commit."​
    "Who is calling you the most?" asked one reporter.​
    "A lot of people" replied Hurst. I tell them all the same thing.​
    ESPN reported earlier this week that UTEP defensive coordinator John Russel visited Hurst after practice, where he received a scholarship offer.​

• Like Like x 1
  9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    West outmatched during La Vega's homecoming 17-3
    West.png
    The Pirates played with energy in front of a sellout crowd on homecoming night as hundreds of alumni flocked back to Waco to catch the game. West (2-3) was simply not able to get anything going on offense and that was in large part to Ronnie Hurst's efforts (7 TKL, 2 TFL, SK, FF, FR). Hurst showed flashes of what a truly special player he has developed into. He was in the Trojan's backfield all night and forced a key fumble inside the West 15 yard line. The Pirate offense pounded it on the ground eventually finding large holes for big gains.​
    "I was really proud of my teammates" said Hurst. "We had a lot of people travel a ways to come watch us and it's nice to send them back after a win."​

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Nice! I'll be following along

• Like Like x 1
  11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Troy shocks La Vega 23-7. Horse not needed.
    huddle.png
    Pirates gather around their captain LB Hurst before the game.​
    Troy QB Logan Carr had himself a stellar game that bested what is statistically District 17-3As best defensive unit. Carr found ways to get it done on the ground when La Vega dropped back and was able to air it out early in the game for some big plays. Troy HB Dillon Giles was equally effective, finishing the day with 2 TDs (1 rush, 1 rec). The Pirate offense seems to be struck with the turnover bug again after ridding of it on a three game streak that ended tonight.​
    "Logan absolutely killed us tonight." said a notably flustered Ronnie Hurst, who had 8 TKLs and 1 TFL on the night. "It didn't matter what we did, they had a lot of things working. So hats off to them, definitely." Hurst's performance tonight moved him ahead of China Spring safety Justin McGibbon for leading tackler in the district. When asked what he though, Hurst scoffed "I don't really pay attention to that stuff. I just do my job out there on Friday nights and let the chips fall where they may."​
    Speaking of falling places, Hurst was contacted by a whole other crop of coaches this week. "Oklahoma State, TCU, Utah and Houston all sent me letters or called me this week." The interest for the :3stars: prospect is starting to gain momentum as he performs each week and Hurst claims he's taking it all in strides, "I still haven't scheduled any visits, yet. I'm still trying to figure out when I am going to do it."​

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Really good stuff Drifterbub - I pray NCAA allows quarter lengths to be changed in RTG so I can truly enjoy this mode.

13. ItsAllAboutTheU

ItsAllAboutTheU Walk On

Wow this is awesome and I'm looking forward to following this story. I can tell you that the OLB RTG I played in NCAA 13 was probably the most fun position I have ever played in that game mode. I think this was in part because I ended up going to Florida to play in their Multiple defense set and seeing as how I built my player as a more athletic, rangy player from the start it was a lot of fun being all over the field. Also, I want to add that those La Vega uniforms are sick!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Mart Panthers Caged by Hurst and Co, 16-0

Mart.png
    Hurst sacks Mart QB Holden Strunk late in the game that forced a fumble​
    Other teams in District 17-3A should take note, it's hard to score at Pirate stadium when the crowd is pumping and the players are feeling it. LB Ronnie Hurst led his team with a 7 TAK, 3 TFL, 1 SACK, 1 FF, and 1 FR to blank the Mart Panthers Friday night. It didn't come easy as Mart was able to push the Pirate defense back a few drives that resulted in terrific stands by La Vega, namely Hurst, who racked up all three TFL inside La Vega's own redzone.​
    "It was a nice effort by the entire team, we held our ground and made plays when we had to" Hurst said following the game. "Couldn't be more proud of my teammates." Reporters from every station were blurting out questions so fast that no one knew what was going on until one word came reaming out of the choas - "Playoffs?" Hurst smiled, "Yeah, that's where we want to be. I mean that the goal of any team when you meet for two-a-days. It's not easy in a district like ours."​
    The Pirates sit at 5-2 and need key wins over China Spring (3-4) and heated rival Connally (4-3) to lock up a spot in the Region II playoffs.​
    -----​
    @TerryHamm247: "Reports are out that Waco La Vega LB Ronnie Hurst was offered by #TAMU and #OKSt today"​

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Hurst Impressed with Texas A&M's Defensive Turnaround

Harris Johnson
    Aggieyell.com

With there likely being only a couple of spots available in A&M's 2013 class for linebackers it appears that one of the Aggie coaching staff's top early targets to fill one of those available spots is Waco (TX) La Vega High School product Ronnie Hurst.

The CenTex area product holds a scholarship offers from Oklahoma State, TCU, UTEP, Rice and more recently an offer from Texas A&M and says that he is definitely interested in the program at this point.

"Well, like I tell everyone, it's hard not to be impressed with what they're doing," Hurst said. "What Coach Sumlin has going with the program is amazing." Hurst then went on to discuss what he is most familiar with The Aggie's program at this point. "From what I have been able to see of them on TV this year is just awesome. They are making waves in the SEC, and that's hard to do."

The newly bumped :4stars: talent then talked about what sort of recruiting contact he has had with the Aggie coaching staff to date.

Profile pic.png
    Hurst may be one of the Aggies top early​
    linebacker targets for 2013.​

"Coach Snyder is the only coach that has talked to me on the phone," he said. "He said he was impressed with what I did when they watched film as a defensive staff, so that's good to hear." Having not been to College Station in a few years, Hurst says he hopes to be able to fit in a trip to the A&M campus soon. "Yes sir, I'm scheduled to go to Oklahoma State and TCU this spring, but I will definitely try to make that one," he said.

Lastly, with plenty of time before he needs to start cutting down a list of favorites, Hurst established what currently are going to be some of the bigger factors in his decision. "I envision playing in an attack style scheme so even if I'm playing linebacker or anything like that I would prefer it be a good fit for me. Then another big factor is graduation rate for players, I know too well that football can end at any moment," he finished.

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Pirates and Hurst Hammer China Spring, 24-10
    China Spring.png
    It's well known that La Vega has struggled with China Spring over the last few seasons. It always seem that, no matter how good or bad each team is, the mission is always the same - ruin each other's season. "The last few years our styles just haven't matched up well and it always leads to tough games." said China Spring Cougar head coach Brian Bell. "This year we just had no answer on offense. That Hurst kid was all over our us." He wasn't joking either after an 11 tackle, 4 TFL performance last Friday, ESPN recruiting services moved him up to #127 in their ESPNU150 rankings.​
    La Vega allowed a TD early on, but the defense stood up to allow their offense to score 21 unanswered points to end the game. "We did a really good job at shutting them down. They really were only able to put together one solid drive." said Hurst after walking out of the coaches office. When asked about the men standing in the coaching office talking to a few coaches Hurst replied "Oh, them? Those are a couple defensive coaches from Stanford." A reporter blurted out from the back of the huddled group, "Did they offer?!" Hurst laughed and lifted his head as if to project to the back of the crowd, "Yes ma'am."​

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    La Vega Blanks Connally 13-0

Connaly.png
    The rivalry between La Vega (7-2) and Connally (4-5) is considered by many a 'song as old as time.' Being so close geographically, the two schools share more than just a backyard. Often, the feud is deeply personal. Students are able to co-mingle easily and frequently brother is turned against brother when the only dividing line is the school district. Connally Head Coach Sean Tedford commented on the game, eyes shifting impatiently, "The Pirates really performed tonight. We should have been more dominate from the beginning. That Hurst kid is turning into a real star player."​
    Hurst smiled and had "no comment," when we asked him about the rumors surrounding a fling with one of the Connally cheerleaders. Whether or not he was dipping into the Cadet's honey-pot, it didn't affect his performance. The Pirate's dominated 13-0 and Hurst had 4 tackles. "They did a lot of things to keep me out of the play, but that just opened up opportunities for my teammates to make plays." said the Pirate Captain.​
    In recruiting news, Rivals.com reported on Monday night that Hurst had received a phone call from Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban who extended a scholarship offer to the :4stars: prospect. Hurst was quoted in the article as being 'excited' and 'honored' to even be considered by such prestigious programs like Alabama, Stanford and Texas A&M.​

18. I Peench

You really gonna turn down that Stanford education?!

19. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    It is a long way from home. ;)

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    La Vega Pirates End Season in a Heartbreaker against #3 Cleburne, 21-14

RD1.png
    La Vega LB Ronnie Hurst recorded a sack on Cleburne QB Ricky Rohman in the 3rd QTR​
    The stadium fell quiet only minutes after the final buzzer sounded in the 14-21 Pirate loss lass Friday in the Cotton Bowl. La Vega fans began mourning their season and Cleburne fans were respectfully calm after watching their team struggle against a 7-3 Pirates squad they were supposed to 'trounce.' ​
    Hurst and several other players stood, arms around each other's shoulders, taking it all in for one last time on the sidelines. Breathing in deep breaths from the field inside the cotton bowl as if all the football history played inside this stadium had left a recognizable odor similar to that of a war zone. They remained there for a while and all of them knew nothing needed to be said. They left it all on the field. An unlucky draw in the state playoffs lead them to facing off against a 3A superpower in the first round and they played them closer than anyone else has this season. ​
    Hurst led the team with 7 tackles, 1 TFL and a sack in the losing effort. "It wasn't enough. Whatever it is that happened wasn't enough." he said regretfully. "Hey, I mean, they are third best team in the state for a reason. They wanted it just a little more than we did." When asked what he was going to do now that he is done with high school football, Hurst replied "I don't know. I think some friends and I will take a few days and NOT think about football. Go to the lake, camping, something..."​
    Hurst may be hard pressed to find a few days to escape with signing day only 7 weeks away, coaches are going to come calling wanting him to jump on board. When asked if he had thought about where he wanted to play in college, Hurst quickly replied "I have to sit down with my folks and figure that one out. My Dad and I have some official visits to make. We're going to follow the process, do our homework and then sit down and make the best decision for me and my family."​

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

• Like Like x 1
  22. TryHardNation

TryHardNation Texas Gang or Die

Great series and great job!

• Like Like x 1
  23. I Peench

@jcshurburtt #CrystalBall says #Aggies for Texas OLB Ronnie Hurst

• Like Like x 1