NCAA 14 - Coach Progression

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by maverickfp, Jul 6, 2013.

1. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

So I simmed the first 2 season of a dynasty on SLOW coach progression. Here are the simmed results after 2 years and the HC/OC/DC pts that i received.

Year 1: 6 pts HC, 3 pts each OC/DC
    Year 2: 3 pts HC (9 career), 1 pt each OC/DC (4 each total for career)

so if you assume that from year 3+ you gain no more than 2 pts for your HC and no more than 1 pt for each OC/DC (b/c the xp required per level increase every year)...you're looking at year 8-9 roughly in the dynasty just to GET to unlock the top tier of ONE coach tree (need level 20 just to get to the top teir). And that is WITHOUT even putting one point into the other head coach tree. It looks like it would take at least 20+ season to max out your head coach points.

Year 3: HC 11 pts, OC/DC 5 pts
    Year 4: HC 13 pts, OC/DC 6 pts
    Year 5: HC 15 pts, OC/DC 7 pts
    Year 6: HC 17 pts, OC/DC 8 pts
    Year 7: HC 19 pts, OC/DC 9 pts
    Year 8: HC 20-21 pts, OC/DC 10 pts ------- This is the time it would take to get to the top of 1 HC tier and to the 3rd (out of 4) DC/OC tiers! And remember, this is having no points in the other HC tier. So if you wanted to put pts in both game mngmt AND recruiting, you'd be lucky to get to the 3rd tier in either tree. Also remember, each tree has 27 total spaces for pts, so you are bypassing other talents in just that 1 tree to reach the top by the time the OD will likely be slowing down.

B/c experience points do no increase per year for achieving things in the game, but the points needed for each level DOES increase, i think my assumption of 2 HC points per year is generous.

I'm not sure what the longest dynasty you guys have been in has been, but don't dynasties usually start dying out around ~10 seasons? It seems like we wouldn't even be able to barely touch the top tier in ONE HC tree if we stopped after 10 seasons. Thoughts?

jello1717 i know you were simming with normal progression and said you got 10 pts HC in year 1. Assuming that you half that in year 2 and then you get 2-3 pts per year after that, it roughly cuts down on the time to get to the top of the tiers in half.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I stopped the normal progression after 2 seasons. I gained 9 levels the 1st season (1 -> 10) and then 4 levels the 2nd season (10 -> 14).

We're not really the norm, but the Experience OD just finished up our 12th season (which is definitely on the high end for an OD).

I'm just starting a dynasty on slow progression. I'll recruit with Illinois the 1st season, but after that I'll just sim out to 10 years. I've created lvl 1 coaches for 3* Illinois, 4* Iowa, 5* Wisconsin, and 6* Michigan and I'll track them all throughout the 10 years.

If I think that slow is too slow, then I'll finish years 3-10 of my normal dynasty.

I've created this google doc for it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar4-5k-YV0dLdFFHX1l3WjNLbFNBUmxRQVBqZkJHZlE&usp=sharing

• Like Like x 6
  3. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

ok i'll let you do the work :p. so far though, to even have a chance to get to the top of 1 tier it'd take 10 seasons or so on slow.

4. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Now Jello I have been looking at your sheet. If you average 4 Levels after the 2nd season By year 10 you would only be Level 42 Again that is gaining 4 Levels each year. I highly doubt that is going to happen. And you are still 15 levels short of maxing out your coach

5. jello1717

I seriously doubt that you'll average 4 levels per season (and I'm guessing you're just playing Devil's advocate). I'm guessing you're talking about normal speed and I went from gaining 9 levels year 1 to 4 levels year 2. I'm sure it'd be less than 4 levels for year 3 so you're probably right, and normal might end up with a good top level while being way too fast in year 1.

We'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LSUTRUTH

Yea just providing a different thought process. I was talking about your normal speed Dyn. I think really Normal might be the way to go for a regular dynasty here. Of course you know the E made it 12 seasons this year. Taking that into affect you would be near the top of your coach Tree if you could somehow average 4 levels a season after Year 1.

Even if you averaged 3 levels a year after being a level 10 after one season you would be a Level 40 at Year 11. Which is not that close to being maxed out

• Like Like x 1
  7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I wish you could change this setting from year to year... Slow for the first two and then normal after that would be pretty good.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Just thinking along the lines of ODs on TSO, we may have to create a rule where you need to have the HC skill trees level or close to level as you upgrade. On normal progression that should take a while.

9. LSUTRUTH

Really Drifter it is that first season on Normal that is the Kicker. You go to Level 10 with average success. He still got to level 7,7,8,7 on Slow. Which of course over the course of a DYN isnt a huge deal

10. LSUTRUTH

I would say for every 3 you put on 1 tree you would have to put 1 on the other.

11. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

12. jello1717

I don't know why anyone would take game management. The lower 2 tiers are garbage. What's worse there are only 4 options so you need to max out 75% of them and still waste 1 point in antifreeze. Yes the tier 3 and 4 skills are nice, but I feel that 7 of your 10 prereqs in that tree are wasted, possibly "only" 4 are wasted. The setup plays would be nice and maybe the "QB doesn't get rattled would be okay. I personally would find matchup stick a complete waste.

In the other tree, there are 5 lower tier skills so you options are much greater. On top of that ALL 5 of those are very, very, very useful! I'd only wanna spend 3 points in tiers 1-2 of GM, but I'd have no issues spending all 15 points in tiers 1-2 of Recruiting.

• Like Like x 2
  13. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

COMPLETELY agree. the game management stuff is not well designed.

14. LSUTRUTH

So in your personal opinion there should be a rule on allocation of points for HC?

15. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

in other news, i just simmed season 3 on slow...HC is level 11. as i predicted. also i should point out, that this is as 3* tulsa. not the big dogs.

16. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

:(

17. jello1717

I just finished season 2 of slow. Since you're ahead on slow I'll go back to my normal dynasty and start up season 3.

• Like Like x 1
  18. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

roger that. i might sim 1 more though. after that it theres no way a HC progresses more than 1-2 pts a season. I vote normal progression unless u plan on playing 20+ seasons.

19. LSUTRUTH

Teamwork makes stuff go much smoother. Im just going to be creeping this page

20. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

You too!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

Precisely my point. If you do normal progression and max the tree out in the middle of season 3, I think the CPU will start getting it's ass whooped on the recruiting trail with most of the users able to get insta-commits and extra points in the beginning, end of the season and offseason.

I agree the HC skills are lame. But I argued with the devs to have it that way because I thought they would become too powerful. Thought the recruiting ones were powerful too and I wanted to move more to the top of the tree. Also, at the time, I thought there would be a recruiting difficulty slider. *shrugs*

22. LSUTRUTH

What about a limit for the 1st 2 seasons like 3 to 1 then open after that. Or 2 to 1

23. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

yeah, thats true. so maybe a 3:1 ratio of recruiting:game management would be in order? on normal speed that is.

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

Yeah, all good options for ODs to consider, IMO.

25. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

yeah, i agree.