NCAA 14 Coach Skill discussion

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by HoundsOfHowl, May 30, 2013.

1. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

Masler
    jello1717
    Big Suge Knight
    UofCWildcat
    edge7771
    blLL flo
    dakota7

Sorry if I missed tags

http://www.easports.com/ncaa-football/news/article/ncaa-football-14-coach-skills

Ok with just about 5-6 weeks left until the game comes out, there is ALOT of discussing that needs to be done. With the new blog about the coach skills being dropped today, I feel like we should talk about should we limit skills or not.

In the blog it states, " What happens if you go through a season and realize you’re not happy with your skill point allocation? You can reallocate your points and focus on other areas once the offseason hits. Make sure you’re comfortable with the adjustments though, because you won’t be able to make sweeping changes again until the year is over. "

Also this, " When starting up your Dynasty you’re able to determine how many points coaches are given at the start (on a scale of 1-20), as well as how quickly you level up."

So lets say that EA gets the Slow Progression setting correct, should we still limit to how many skills coaches can max out? Every coach is different, but if after 5 seasons (or even if it takes 7 or 8 to max) all the coaches max out every skill, how is that making a difference on the field?

But if we limit skills to certain max out points and such, that would make every coach have to find ways to play smart and choose their skills. Maybe we set a certain number and once you reach that number you are done, except if you meet certain criteria (Winning National Championships or Conference Championships.)

Just food for thought

2. HoundsOfHowl

[​IMG]

I believe this should probably close my case on restricting skill max's, but everyone will still need to test to make sure that even the slowest setting doesnt upgrade too quickly, which it shouldn't. If it takes 8+ years to max that means only the ones who stick around in the league will max out.

But now the question will be, do we allow resets or not???

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

But Hack also wrote this:
    So I hope like HELL that slowest speed is WAY, WAY, WAY slower than that!

4. HoundsOfHowl

Well if we do a test dynasty when the season ticket opens up and the slowest setting is too fast well be forced into restrictions.

5. jello1717

[​IMG]

Obviously this is all still really early, but I'd like to say that I'd be all in favor of not allowing us to respec our points every offseason (2nd choice from the top). It'd be dumb to be able to build up my QBs so they don't get rattled on the road because I have a FR, but then 2 years later when he's a JR, to remove those points and learn something completely new since I don't need that skill any more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Isn't that how you learn? Once you are experienced you aren't taught/trained as much as you were when first learning a skill.

I'll admit I have not looked much at any of this for '14... Just playing devils advocate.

7. jello1717

I'm not sure you understood what I meant. What my example would entail is completely "forgetting" a skill to learn a new one. Say I'm in year 1 with a crappy team and I feel I need to recruit better so I dump all of my points into recruiting which makes me an excellent recruiter. I'm not much of a game manager (since I've spent no points into that tree) though.

Well, now that my school is a 6* school, I don't need the perks to recruit anymore because my school's name (with the better pitches) gives me all the bonus points that I need. So in the offseason I could respec my points, which removes all of my recruiting points and then I can dump them all into game management. I spent my entire career focusing on recruiting and became a master recruiter, but I was a clown when it came to managing my guys on the field. Then 1 offseason, with the flip of a switch, I've gone from a recruiting guru to a recruiting doofus (relying solely on my school's name to recruit) and went from a buffoon on the field to being a master strategist.

This is the kind of thing that I'd hate to see. Yes, you aren't trained as much when you're experienced, but (to use a real world example) an engineer with 20 years of experience can't flip a switch one summer, forget everything he's learned about engineering and all of a sudden become an excellent lawyer that is just as knowledgeable as any other lawyer with 20 years of experience.

I think that we should have to plan out our future and stick with the choices that we make.

8. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I was thinking the same thing. You might not have to focus as much on keeping a QB calm when he's a JR, but you might need to focus on another position or side of the ball. Just like in life in coaching you always need to adjust your time to areas that need more attention.

9. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Makes a ton of sense Jello and I am in agreement 100% with this.