NCAA '14 Conference Discussion

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by PAgamer07, May 28, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

It has been confirmed that the earliest builds of NCAA '14 do not have unlockable conference games. This will help us decide what sort of setup we will be using for this year's version of the game. With that said... our goal is to have at the minimum 8 user games AND have as competitive recruiting as possible.

To do this... we need to condense our conferences. The 3 conference setup will not work this year. In addition, since the CPU cannot be trusted to recruit properly, we also need to make sure that we are as geographically close as possible so that we all fight over the same recruits.

Finally... we want to ensure balance within whatever conference(s) we decide to play as. This most likely takes the SEC immediately out of the picture due to being too top heavy.

I know it may seem early, but the game releases July 9th. Which is 6 weeks from today. We need to figure out first... what setup we will be doing.

Do we go with 1 conference, or 2?

Discuss TEClemson53 ZCar352 Papa Perry briosu99 sonn ryalaman SuperBowlNachos bawvu97 schreck822 Screwthebcs JohnnyClutch

2. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

If we want 8 user games then we might as well settle for one conference. The most you are guaranteed to get with two conferences is 7. That is with 3 users per division (2 games), locking each users cross division game as a user (1 game), and making all OOC games user games (4 games) which would be a headache for the commish.

As far as which conference, I'll have to get back with you later today.

3. PAgamer07

Well.. If we went with 1 that narrows our choices considerably. B1G, PAC12, ACC off the top of my head have or will have 12 or more teams. If we went either ACC or B1G we would add Maryland and Notre Dame.

4. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West all have 12 or more teams.

5. PAgamer07

You sure? For 2013?

6. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  7. JohnnyClutch

Yup.

CUSA East: ECU, FIU, FAU, Marshall, Middle Tenn, Southern Miss, UAG
    CUSA West: LA Tech, N. Texas, Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, UTEP, UTSA

MAC East: Akron, BGSU, Buffalo, Kent State, Miami, Ohio, UMass
    MAC West: Ball St, CMU, EMU, NIU, Toledo, Western Mich

MWC Mountain: AF, Boise St, Colorado St, New Mexico, Utah State, Wyoming
    MWC West: Fresno St, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV

To me it just seems these conferences are less top heavy than ACC (Especially in ND is added), B1G, and PAC 12.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

I agree with this only because I kind've want to be East Carolina haha. But to argue against myself from above. If we all did go 1 conference, I think it would be epic fun to battle each other year after year and our conference championship hopes are on the line with every game, I think that would bring a lot of fun and keep excitement in the league because we would all know what's going on inside our conference. In the past, no one really gives 2 shits about other conferences. Lets be honest lol. We'd have excitement going on inside the conference and content SHOULD flow from that. In the past we've also had ZEROOOOOOOOO hype around Bowls/National Championships so I don't think it should be a big deal to make us play 2 conferences just so we have user/user bowl games.

• Like Like x 1
  9. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

I vote for 2 conferences...something like the MAC and new big east (AAC). I'd kinda like to start all of us with smaller schools. I don't really want the B1G/ACC basically b/c i don't want to be wake forest against VT and FSU every damn year. at least in the MAC/AAC all teams are around a 2 star with most teams rated about the same.

10. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    I would prefer a major conf like ACC, B1G, Pac 12 or Big 12.

11. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

I think everyone knows I would want the Big 12 and the B1G is at the bottom of my list.

I vote for two conferences. Mainly because I know I am going to get stuck with one of the shittiest teams in that conference. I'd like to at least have the 6th best team in whatever conference I end up in.

I also vote against a draft. How many people ended up switching teams after a season or two last year?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bawvu97

Featured Threads:
    With all this chatter about conferences and the like

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

THIS

• Like Like x 1
  14. bawvu97

Featured Threads:
    You know as much as I'd like to get into the big 12 I do think your approach would allow for more user team competitiveness

15. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

Im just gonna say I am tired of playing against the B1G haha with that said im down with going with the MAC(dibs on Toledo) or C-USA or both conferences. I feel it would be more competitive then going with a major conference which are all top heavy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnnyClutch

Yeah! Screw, not Screwthebcs , the B1G.

17. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

Even though I would love to have the Buckeyes, I think we almost have to go with smaller conferences like MAC or C-USA (even Mountain West may be too top heavy if someone has Boise) due to competitive balance, at least at the start. The only way around it is if a few guys volunteer to take the shitty teams in one of the major conferences, knowing they will be at a huge disadvantage. I know I will be very pissed if I get stuck with someone like Wake Forest in the ACC when other guys have VT, Miami, Clemson, etc, especially with 8 user games. Guys with the lower teams have basically no chance from the start, unless they are heads and shoulders above everyone else on the sticks (and I don't think we have any of those guys this year).

The only way I can see a major conference having even a chance at working would be to go with two conferences and giving more team selection to help balance the teams.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JohnnyClutch

Yeah, I agree. For just a one conference set up, a small school conference would be fun. If going with a BCS conference, two would be better IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  19. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

Agree with brian/johnny. If we choose big conferences, we need to be in 2. If MAC/AAC/Sunbelt/CUSA, i'd still prefer 2 of them, but 1 would work. I do NOT want to be Wake against Clemson or Purdue against tOSU. Also, I hate drafting teams. I think it adds to someone getting some team they don't want which leads to the whole wanting to change teams mid season. I think we should just have a discussion and work out who wants what team and then work it out...once we choose conferences of course. We could rank our top 3 teams we would want in the conferences we choose and then people get their pick based off of that. If there is a tie for a team, then I say the tiebreaker is a user game the night the game comes out without any practice :).

20. Papa Perry

I understand the need for a lot of user games but I would be lying if I didn't say I was concerned with all users in one conference. Idk how fast you guys usually go but once we get into the conference schedule it could get rough on some people (I know it will for me). Especially once we start trying to do the Madden league and then NBA2K comes out just a few months later. I won't be doing NBA this year so I'm not worried about that but I know most of you guys play.

• Like Like x 1
  21. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

yeah, i was hoping for 6ish during the season...8+bowls/CCG will be tough to schedule.

22. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

We advance every 48 hours Perry. Occasional 24 hr advance if we get shit done. As far as team selection, maybe no draft but some kindve constructive conversation on who wants to be who and we all somehow make a compromise to make everyone happy

23. Papa Perry

Ok guys. I have a few scenarios here. All are 2 conference setups with trying to keep everything in mind that we as a group want:

Scenario #1

Go Home (Big 12 & SEC)

Move Missouri and A&M back to the Big 12 and get these two conferences back to 12 and 12. Plus Big 12 gets the conference title game back in Jerry World (Which I personally think is bad ass and I hate Jerry Jones). Here is my pronounced set up:

1. Layout -
    Big12SEC.JPG

2. Teams - Either any or the bottom 3 from each division: Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Ole Miss.

3. User Games (5 minimum) - Division (2 games), change permanent cross division game to user (1 game), give everyone 2 user OOC user games (2 games).

Scenario #2

The Two with 14 (ACC & SEC)

This set up is a lot more simple. Whether we want to leave conferences as is or move everyone to where they will be in the foreseeable future, the SEC stays the same. The ACC on the other hand has a change but very simple: either Maryland stays or they leave and Louisville replaces them.

1. Layout -
    ACCSEC.JPG

2. Teams - Any or whatever kind of cutoff PA decides.

3. User Games (5 minimum) - Division (2 games), change permanent cross division game to user (1 game), give everyone 2 user OOC user games (2 games).

Scenario #3

Post-Realignment Non-AQ Conferences (Customized)
    This is a combination of any 2 conferences in a customized post-realignment world in CFB.

1. Layout -
    NonAQ.JPG

2. Teams - Any

Scenario #4

The Two with 12 (B1G & PAC 12)
    1. Layout - Keep the B1G as is and never add Maryland or Rutgers. No future changes as of now for PAC 12.

2. Teams - Any or whatever kind of cutoff PA decides. (Personally I see it hard to do a cutoff with B1G unless we edit the conference because it's very lopsided).

Last edited: May 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Papa Perry

Sorry it took so long guys. Was trying to do this and entertain the GF at the same time

25. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

I'll take scenario #1 with Baylor.