NCAA 14 Demo: First Impressions

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

Played on Heisman and got whooped by Texas A&M though the score was only 28-14. Johnny Football ran all over me. I had very little time to throw, my O Line constantly broke down. WRs have ups and downs, mine had red arrows most of the game. Running seems overpowered. Defense doesn't react to QB Scrambles....

I did kind of like Oregon's playbook.

Coach's Challenge for a ball spot still doesn't work. My defender hit the WR and pushed him out of the endzone before his feet touched, still ruled it a TD.

I noticed there is a difficulty for offense and for defense. Heisman on default sliders is not easy, Manziel didn't miss a pass....

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Crappy part is I had more first downs and dominated T.O.P....but two turnovers actually killed me whereas this year you can overcome them fairly easy.

3. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

I had to switch down to AA. Still a little tough on default sliders, I think AA on some sliders will be perfect, Normal speed with a 25 threshold

4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I've probably played 15-20 games so far, all on default AA. It took me probably 10 games before I finally won one..... (That includes 1 game where I got into position for the game winning FG with 12s left and let the clock run down to 2s before calling a timeout, only realizing then that I had used up all of my timeouts..............) Even after I got my first win I'm still sub .500 since then on default AA.

• CPU scramblers are a BITCH to stop, which I love. In '13, any time I play a scrambler I know there's a very good chance that I'll end up with double digit sacks (most of them are for only 1-2 yards, but it's still a sack) as they scramble right into the waiting arms of my D-line or my spy every time. In the demo they break to the outside and I almost never get to them before they're past (usually way past) the LOS. Even my user spy can't get to them in time.
    • Some games I'm able to wrack up good yards with the spread option, and sometimes I'm shut down very well (I've had a couple games recently where both Mariota and DAT were held to less than 2 YPC).
    • I haven't done much under center running (go figure, right?) but it looks pretty powerful (or maybe it was just Alabama).
    • This is a tiny sample size, but with Oregon, aOSU and Michigan I get sacked a TON. With Alabama (which I used once) I threw the ball about 30 times and was NEVER sacked. I'm hoping that's because the ratings mattered and Bama's O-line was very good.
    • On options, the CPU plays the HB over 90% of the time against me which could lead to TONS of carries by QB. In '13 my QB usually gets roughly 1/3-1/4 of my carries, including sacks but that's cuz I mostly call designed runs. With the vast array of option options I expect to call a lot more options in '14.
    • Given how tough the CPU is, I'm really looking forward to actually losing some CPU games in '14 and hopefully won't even come close to matching my stooooopid 89-1 record vs. the CPU in '13.

• Like Like x 1
  5. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

The game seems to play pretty similarly to last season, minus a few things. The run blocking is much improved. O-Lineman move, instead of standing in the hole. They also make combo blocks and block at the LB level. Defensive linemen actually make football moves and appear to use actual physics. The last couple seasons, if a d lineman missed a swim move, they would fall down for no apparent reason. I do not like that the computer constantly runs with the QB when a pass is called.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

The game feels different, but it seems the same (if you know what i mean...). Looks like Read Options are still gonna be tough to handle, and i think they should be. I only played a couple games though with Oregon.

7. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Game felt smoother but slower to me. I played as Ohio State vs Michigan on AA. Threw for almost 300 yards and won 24-14. Guys seem to break the first tackle a lot but the animations look pretty good. I'll second jello in saying that the CPU would play the HB on the option every time or would play the HB then the QB on a triple option with a pitch. I found a shovel pass option play, freaking awesome! Only played one game, but the scrambling didn't hurt me as much. Visually the game must have been maxed out last year as I didn't notice too much of a difference. But after Microsoft's announcement yesterday, looks like xbox one for all and hopefully NCAA '15 looks amazing.

8. jello1717

That's only Mariota, Manziel, Gardner, and Miller and that's because they're scramblers. Their tendency to tuck and run seems to be exactly the same in '14 as it was in '13. In case you didn't read my last recap, here's my last '13 game against a CPU scrambling QB:
    The only difference between '13 and '14 that I can see is that in '14 he wouldn't have been sacked 11 times as most of the time he'd make it past the LOS, which I think is a massive improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Haven't played it yet but I hope when you spy the QB he actually does it. Played so many games when you spy the QB on the read he still crashed on the RB. Makes really worried that the CPU goes for the HB more often then not reading through this. Cause on the option I hate seeing the QB keep it.

10. jello1717

After about 10 tries I FINALLY beat Alabama with my spread option attack.....