NCAA 14 - Impressions

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Fiddy14, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

with the season ticket being out now..

impressions thread..

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
  3. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

For those wanting to know about Neutral Site games, you can do Conference Neutral Site games too...I'm glad EA didn't lock those out to us

• Like Like x 1
  4. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Is it just something you set when setting up your schedule in off-season?

I assume you can't do visits to neutral site games, so I'm not sure how many we will want to do in ODs.

5. HoundsOfHowl

Hmm idk about the visits, thats a good question, and yes you just hit X when doing your schedule and you can choose

• Like Like x 1
  6. HoundsOfHowl

Also if you click your RS in your dynasty playbook selection menu it will bring up some AMAZING information, someone like I Peench or Drifterbub can maybe get us a picture of this, but you can view your track to breaking school or NCAA records, also track your XP goals for coaching

7. chance17

chance17 Walk On

The first game I played had multiple wow moments. Lots of good things, but also a few bad ones. I'm reserving judgement until I have time to play more games vs CPU.

One issue I'm seeing is that my offline dynasty is freezing each weekly advance. No sound, stuck progress icon, etc. It recovers after about 30 seconds, though and then proceeds.

I'm loving the new recruiting system. I started out as a level 1 head coach for South Carolina and the class is starting to come together well enough by week 5.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

I get this too. It's probably only a problem on PS3.

9. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Overall, I love the game so far. The OL/DL interactions are great. I'm seeing double teams, half-steps, and great running awareness. WRs and DBs are fighting for the ball and interacting more as they go through their routes. A great CB can lock down a good WR but a great WR can crush a good DB.

So far I only have two concerns: 1. The ease of the running game and 2. Offensive players being taken down from behind.

1 is simple: I feel like unless you make the wrong read on the RO/option or get hit with a bltz, you're pretty much guaranteed 6-8 yards. Now maybe running the ball was always atrocious and we're just finally getting competent AI and are losing ourselves like people hiding underground being exposed to sunlight, but running the ball might have to be a tweeked a little. This isn't a flat guarantee as I saw an absolutely beautiful animation of my playmaker DT bullrush the inside shoulder of an OG (who stayed with him the entire play and threw his hands up in exhaustion and defeat when my guy made the play) to blow up a run play. But it just feels like there should be more 3-4 yard gains instead of 6-8. But this isn't as big a worry as...

2. I was having Taylor Martinez be chased down from behind by LBs far more often than I'd expect. And this was when he had full stamina after my handing the ball off a bunch of times. His first step is ridiculously fast, but after that he seems to slow down in the open field. Players as fast as he usually don't get brought down from behind when they've gotten past the second and third level and have a clear path to a TD. This was also on All-American with a speed threshold of 40. (Default = 50, lower = faster players are faster than slower ones).

I know it seems like those two points are contradictory but I guess what I'm seeing is very much a pyramid in the, at least spread option, running game: The early part of the run is a bit too easy, the latter part of the run is not as realistic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this iteration and feel it'll be the best yet. And maybe all we need are some slider adjustments. But these could be an issue in the long run.

Hopefully some other people feel the same way.

• Like Like x 5
  10. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I always played with the speed threshold much lower than 40, usually 15 or less, so that could be an easy fix.

Also, I am thinking either the human running ability/run blocking or the CPU run defense could be tweaked to help problem #1.

11. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Whenever I get around to playing some games I'll definitely check this out. In the demo I had both user and CPU run blocking=0, rush defense=100 and both sides could still run at will. I also set both QBA=20 and pass defense=100 and that didn't curb the passing ease either. I'm REALLY hoping the sliders are much more responsive in this game (but I'm farting with dynasty right now).

12. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

So far I have played one user vs user game in dynasty and one vs the CPU. Here are my initial thoughts:
    • The run game isn't nearly as powerful in user vs user games. The read option is still a little too easy and the read end almost always takes the HB, but it didn't seem as easy as in the demo.
    • However, running the read option vs the CPU was still pretty easy. Again, its mostly because the read end rarely stays home.
    • The passing game on user vs user was more organic. I saw some great safety play and there weren't a ton of easy completions. Sadly, passing to the TE is still a little too much of an easy go to but I'm not sure how to fix that.
    • Passing vs the CPU was far too easy. The CPU also passed easily on me. We both completed over 70% of our passes (Minnesota vs Northwestern).
    • The situation awareness of the CPU is still a little off. They hurried to the LOS after a first down with 4 seconds left in the first half and one timeout only to run a play which fell incomplete and they lost out on a guaranteed FG opportunity from about 22 yards.
    • The run blocking is much better overall and even saw some nice pass blocking from backs. I love seeing guys looking downfield for their next block.
    • The return game is much better. It is a lot easier to both gain yards and give them up, both vs a user and the CPU. It may get to a point where it becomes too easy but right now it is enjoyable (and nerve racking when kicking, lol)
    • When playing the user vs user game, the stadium crowd looked hideous (at Minnesota) when panning during a stoppage in play. It was very grainy and quite jarring going from that to the very bright and sharp game camera. However, I didn't notice this as much when playing the CPU (at Northwestern). I'm not sure if NU got an update or somehow the user vs user was at play but it was definitely something I hope is not repeated often.
    • The Infinity Engine was much more refined than Madden and gave a much better feel than previous versions of NCAA. There may be a tad too many big hits, but the stumbling and foot planting and even shoestring tackles are very nice to see. There are still some quirks but its much better than anything else we've had to this point.
    • Visually, the game is very bright and vibrant. It looks very, very nice.
    • Presentation-wise, I can't say it was good or bad. In user vs user it is minimized to keep the game flowing. In the CPU game I skipped through the halftime show on accident :(. I did noticed twice that the Game Track came up but no animation appeared on screen and there was no commentary. It just sat looking at a corner of the field until I hit x.
    Overall, the game looks good. I don't know if I'm as excited about it as I was when I first played the demo bu its certainly better than last year and capable of keeping me entertained for more than a month or two. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  13. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I've never played any UT before and while it's not my cup of tea, I have to admit it was fun running around with Cam Newton, Barry Sanders and Bo Jackson in my backfield.

image-2634139624.jpg

Clearly Barry needs to step his game up though.

14. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I played a little bit, and needless to say I am out on it this year. I burned out last year and it just felt the same to me from last year. Not sure what is missing, but it is missing something.

15. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

NCA14XBX_0_JPEG_SCREENSHOT_hYX.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

I can understand not liking it for whatever reason, but I don't think you can honestly say that it's the same as last year's game. You've seen the physics, right? Recruiting?

• Like Like x 1
  17. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I get all that. The recruiting is cool and all, I just get into the game and feel like it is just another game like last year. I really think I am just burned out on NCAA

18. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Man, the foot planting alone makes this game feel differently than any game I've ever played.

To each their own.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chance17

chance17 Walk On

I committed to the run with a LB and I paid the price for it because I wasn't able to get him back into his zone instantly. The momentum makes those arcade-like shifts impossible. I'm liking it much more than I thought I would.

20. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I hear ya. I just know I have played it and then had zero desire to play it after that.

21. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Are you saying we may be rid of the super linebacker forever?

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

I would say so. I can't tackle anybody!

• Like Like x 1
  23. chance17

chance17 Walk On

It took me about a day of playing to adjust, but I'm making stops now and not over and undershooting tackles. I'm also tearing ass up with Clowney, but that's a given.

24. Jeremy Hackney

Jeremy Hackney Walk On

Can you have a two player offline dynasty.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

Do you mean two players controlling different schools? Or two players playing on the same team?