NCAA 14 Recruiting

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, May 29, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

Hopefully everyone has read the thread Drifter put up. How does that impact The E? We already do not have caliber caps....should we now be allowed to persuade guys back since Off-Season recruiting it only two weeks long and most recruiting battles should come down to the very end (supposedly). Let's get a discussion going and figure some things out about recruiting.

I would also like to take the time to publicly announce that dakota7 will be returning to us for NCAA 14.

jello1717
    Big Suge Knight
    blLL flo
    UofCWildcat
    iBleedOrange247
    bigrice25
    edge7771
    BRUCE80
    dakota7

• Like Like x 1
  2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Welcome back Dakota!

As for the returning players, Jello has mentioned that not being 100% prepared for a Plan B if a certain guy leaves. Since this is a problem, I think we should limit it to not being able to persuade All Americans and Heisman/Awards Winners. The reasoning, you a probably going to prepare for one of those guys to leave so that's not a problem. It's the guys who are random (like a 3rd or 4th string guy to an average Defender)

3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Hard to say until we've tried a season to two out. The new system sounds good, but who knows how it will actually work out.

• Like Like x 3
  4. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

I agree with this. I say we do a few test for the week or 2 while waiting on rosters. Maybe all the season ticket members get a "sim only" league going and try out all recruiting and offseason. Then maybe take a vote 2 days before league play opens up.

I'm fine with being able to persuade any player leaving that hasn't won an award

5. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I would like to see how it works before making rules, a season or two in the books would be a good time to decide what exactly needs to be done.

• Like Like x 2
  6. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

What may be a better idea is to have a test dynasty while waiting for rosters. I could do it with my buddy and see what you all think about our recruiting statistics.

7. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

It looks like recruiting is going to be tough and far more random then past games...chances are your going to win me you didn't expect and lose one you thought you had locked up.

As far as player leaving goes if the logic on AA players is as poor as it has been in the past we should limit it to award winners or a certain overall..just my opinion...I have had good backup players receive AA status somehow even though it made no sense.

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I think it's too early to decide anything like this since we don't know how things are gonna work out. If you read that thread then you know I obviously have my concerns, but we'll have to wait and see. I still really, really like the idea of not allowing any declarers to be swayed. That's something I've always done in my offlines and it's a great way to keep super user recruiting in check. "By all means, recruit thos 3 :5stars: HBs. Just keep in mind that they'll be entering the draft early." As a ridiculous example that probably all of the elite teams in this OD have done is to sign a :5stars: Clowney-esque DE, only to RS as a FR because he's playing behind 4 other monster DEs. If you're gonna do that, then just remember that he'll likely only play for 2 years (and maybe not even start) and then go pro. If we continue to only recruit NFL players that are too young to be drafted right out of HS, then they should be able to declare when they're old enough.

That said, EA did have some squirrely declaring logic so I wouldn't be opposed to a hard cap of, say, 89 for swaying. Anyone 90+ can declare. Anyone 89 and below can be swayed.

If you wanna test recruiting/declaring before the OD, that'll be tough because most of us won't be at the point of having guys declaring right away. I've likely had the most guys declare for the draft, but I didn't have my first guy declare until the end of season 5.

As far as how the feel of recruiting will be different from '13 to '14, I found this screen shot very, very interesting:

prospect signings.PNG

So this dude signed 21 recruits, but only 2 of them were signed before week 10! In '13, if you signed 21 guys, probably 16ish of them would be signed before week 10 so '13 looks to play very differently.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

Im with waiting and seeing how it goes, getting a test run in or something ya know. We really dont know how difficult recruiting is going to be since they have changed the foundation.

10. HoundsOfHowl

Wow nice find, didn't see that screenshot yet. That is pretty cool.

11. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I guess the only down fall of not swaying is we might run into the problem of not having full rosters. I thought I read their will not be any players added to the offseason recruiting trail like before. This is twofold as some do this on purpose to get extra offers to make up for busts. But if you do that you run the risk of not being able to sign players to fill for players leaving early. If the cpu logic is the same we’re gonna have guys leave that shouldn’t. For example (I think jello1717 had this to) last year I had four RS Sophs leave that hardly saw the field, but had five starting AA’s that were eligible to leave stay. If your we’re going to be battling it out until the last week of recruiting people are going to struggle with rosters with guys leaving that really shouldn’t. Maybe we can put a limit say if a player isn’t going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick we can try and sway them back?

12. HoundsOfHowl

I second this motion. Maybe even go as far as no sways on 3rd round picks too

13. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

There aren't any guys added in the offseason in '13 either.

14. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Didn't think so but wasn't sure after Drifterhub mentioned it in his post.

15. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

The Experience

This was the thread about recruiting and players leaving. As you see their really wasn't a true decision made on this but wait and see. I for one like the round cut off idea and maybe combine that with AA and award winners.
    Example anyone who is a 1st, 2nd round pick, or an award winner can not be swayed back.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  16. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Wanted to bump this again because I think it's important we make a call on this very soon. The Experience

17. dakota7

Will we know for certain what round they're drafted before/at the players leaving stage? I like these restrictions.

18. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I'm for letting guys leave as much as possible, much more realistic.

19. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I am also to an extent. Having a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th string redshirt soph or jr leaving early for the 4th or 5th round doesn't happen. With this league being 75% user games some kind of restrictions protects the depth of teams instead of letting them leave early unrealistically. I know we want to the cpu to be relevant, but I also don't want to be playing with true freshman every year because my 2nd or 3rd string player who would have a chance to start next year wants to go because he's projected in the 5th round. That's some have come up with restrictions. And underclass would consider an most likely leave early if he's projected in the 1st or 2nd or a major award winner. By letting these guys go that depth you were drafting for who did spot duty fills in the next year.

20. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Exactly that's why I think we need the guidelines put in place know. That why we don't get to the players leaving stage and we see that guy that shouldn't be leaving leave. Then all the sudden everyone we want players to stay. If set it up know everyone knows before we get there and we can move right past it. I was hoping or beloved comish Masler was going to chime in on this. I was going to put a poll up but I don't want to reach beyond my bounds.

21. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

What makes you think that is going to happen? The logic is broken if that happens, and I don't remember it in the past being like that. If your 2nd and 3rd string guys are projected to draft then your team is stacked insanely. Usually only 90+ guys are projected to draft.

22. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Ya it happened to a number of us last year jello1717. It was odd we would have starters 90+ stay and backups roll out. That's why a cap round and award winner should fix it.

23. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I know I had backups in the 80s leave for the draft last year. It was only a few times, but it does happen.

I would say if the guy is projected in the first 3 rounds or wins an award, he can't be swayed.

24. Masler

Masler Moderator

Haven't had a chance to sit down a read all of this to make a decision. I will have some time this afternoon.

25. dakota7

Your broken English is throwing me off ;)

• Like Like x 1