NCAA 14 Rosters

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by majesty95, Jun 12, 2013.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I am going to be doing rosters again for the PS3 (and possibly the 360) this year but want to expand upon what I did last year. For those of you who haven't used my rosters, generally I take a named set (usually from TGT) and add my own edits to player ratings. Usually this means that I'm waiting about a week before I can get started and then it takes me another 10-14 days to apply my edits.

This year I'd like to start the Friday NCAA 14 drop on the Season Ticket and begin editing right away. This would mean I would be naming all teams in addition to re-rating players. I'm hoping this can cut down on the time it takes for me to do my edits and get more comprehensive set out a little sooner.

What I'd like to know is what you guys like to see the most in your rosters? If you used my set last year, what did you like and what would you like to see improved? If you haven't used mine, what do you feel is generally missing or needs improvements in the rosters you do use? What do you like about those rosters?

How do you feel about time frame? Would you rather get going ASAP or do you prefer to wait for the most accurate or "up to date" rosters before starting your dynasties?

Let me know what appeals most to you and I'll try my best to get as much of it in my set as possible.

Happy gaming!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rev Bolyard

Rev Bolyard Walk On

I prefer to see accuracy in the rosters - especially with appearences/numbers/home towns/heights/weights. Those should generally be static.

As for ratings, I've done my own rosters in the past and have tried a couple dozen. At the end of the day folks are going to end up using a "formula", none of which are remotely scientific. Folks are going to argue their favorites players speed because he ran a 4.4 "supposedly" or whatever. At the end of the day, I think the most accurate reflection of ratings comes from just watching games. That DT who benches 650 lbs. probably shouldn't be a 99 STR if you're seeing him getting pushed into the linebackers all game long. At the end of the day, rerate however you feel comfortable (whether it be with trusted colleagues, or by yourself) and if folks have a problem with it, they can always make further edits themselves.

Finally for release dates I recommend stating reasonable release dates for what you expect to accomplish - provide those to the community in a week long block to give yourself some slack. If you expect to have all rosters named - heights weights colors and home towns updated with some general roster edits to say the top 20 players at each position by the 4th week of July or something. That way you're not getting bombarded (which is the newest roster set? Has it been uploaded yet? How come my 4th string runningback is still white?)

Just some suggestions and I have never used your sets I don't believe. Typically I try to start my own thread on various sites with updates to WVU's roster that includes updates of everything with the exception of equipment - I don't pay attention to what helmet folks are wearing and everything else about their equipment likely changes on a week by week basis anyway. I then link that thread to various roster creator's to help assist, but don't delve into their specific roster and make changes. Routinely roster creators will have a specific manner in which they accept suggestions for changes and I at the point I've generally picked a roster that I like and run with it and do my best to help - again with WVU. If I feel there is someone else who's posting information contrary to my own, I simply allow that person to take over. They may have more information than me or more recent. In the end having too many people posting information about the same team just ruins the whole process by making it MUCH harder for the actual roster creator to finish their work. Often times a casual fan will simply look at a player with a very narrow lens - too often concentrating on a player they like or a specific position battle while not taking into account the ramifications of drastically increasing a certain player for the entire game.

Also when editing players I put an emphasis on overall when re-rating to attempt to circumvent the CPU and any roster oddities that may be caused if WVU is NOT a player controlled team. I don't get hung up on if a rating is a point too high or too low here or there unless it's in an attempt to get a player's overall to a certain rating without completely gimping that player.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I appreciate the feedback!

One thing I really try to do is have my roster "flow" with the game. Last year I made the mistake of assuming incoming freshmen ratings and player progression were the same as they had been. This led to me having too many overrated young players which probably unbalanced some teams a few years in. This year I'm doing more research on progression and recruiting so that my base set will flow more naturally with what the game does. Hopefully there hasn't been a widespread change again but if there has I'd really like that info if anyone has it.

I also focus on OVR and core ratings. I used to focus on sim stats but now I focus primarily on gameplay. I want the user(s) to have a realistic and engaging experience when playing. The sim stats will never be perfect so if I can improve the game experience then I feel that's a win. I've also started to narrow in on the ratings that make the most difference when playing. A lot of guys just look at overall but don't necessarily focus on what ratings create that number. If a guy is a 93 OVR DE, I want him to play like one and some if the ratings just don't allow that even though they affect his OVR. So this year more focus will go into that as well.

Sadly the time frames are always hard. It's always a battle of being first and being "complete". The game comes out and guys want to get going on their dynasties so its tough to balance that. Usually I would wait for a base named roster set and make my edits to that but this year I'm going to do it all from scratch. What I might do I'd release an update after I complete each conference so those that don't care about teams not in their conference can begin using them. That will also give everyone an idea of how far along I am. Unfortunately it's a time consuming process. I bought a keyboard hoping it would speed up the process but it only allows you to type in names but you still have to use the controller to enter those fields and to change ratings, etc. it would be so much easier if you could just tab between fields and type in what you want. But this is what we got for now. From what I've tested it takes me 45-60 seconds per player to update name, number, position, home state, class and color. If I edit the player's ratings it takes 2-3 minutes per player. With 70 players per team and 120 something teams it's easy to see why it takes so long. Hopefully I can find a balance this year and get a full set out within 3-4 weeks. Anything longer than that I don't think people want to wait for so ill have to figure out how to balance that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gap Integrity

Gap Integrity Walk On

I work with my partner on a very deep dynasty roster for the 360. Buffeye Dynasty Roster in O.S. forum. We re-rate damn near every player to their true likeness. I won't go crazy trying to explain myself. We will start from scratch this season. Last year we used to O.S. community file as a base, and found a ton of grammatical errors that became a huge hassle/annoyance. We also hand the file off to another guy who is very good with the global editor. Using this we were able to correct ALL duplicate jersey numbers, change top 25 rankings to the real AP rankings at the end of the season, re-rate team prestige, and a few other things. My partner is awesome and completely unbiased in rating players. He truly understands how to rate guys and make them really play true to form. I specifically deal with depth charts, removing/adding guys, player models, and very detailed equipment. I literally google image search every player on most teams. I edit all heights/weights, and do all hometowns as well. On many of the AQ conference teams I actually edit face models to get a close match. I also switch Impact players for some teams as well/when needed.

If anyone wants to check out our 13 file to see the work:
    Gamertag Gap Integrity this is the regular file
    Gamertag two days slow this file has all players who went pro listed as rsSR's so after year 1 in dynasty they are gone.

Let me know what you guys think. I like talking to other editors. I recently came over to this site(I've heard it's a more mature crowd) for a few reasons. My roster is my baby!!

5. Gap Integrity

Gap Integrity Walk On

Also Majesty, I completely agree on the OVR. It really doesn't mean much. What matters is how the guy plays. One thing I hate on O.S. is the constant crying about a certain guy being rated a point or two lower than so and so who had better stats. It gets so old. lol I used to worry about that just for draft class purposes. The guy I work with knows the ratings inside out, and sort of showed me the light so to speak regarding how the OVR isn't that important.

6. ahill2

ahill2 Walk On

Does anyone know how to duplicate jersey numbers in NCAA 14? It has to be possible so if anyone could help me out that would be great!

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You cannot duplicate jersey numbers by editing a player. The only way a duplicate jersey can exist is if both players were on the original roster as having the same number.

Perhaps if someone creates a roster editor external to the game then we would be able to accomplish this.

8. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

they have had an editor out for almost 2 years now (or just under).. ive messed with it on my pc, great stuff..

• Like Like x 1
  9. fantasyboi

fantasyboi If Tebow isn't Jesus, I'm the Pope

Drifterbub plz show some love to the one stars for us rebuilding fans!

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I know they had it for 13, but I didn't know if it was fully function for NCAA 14.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

IMO, these kind of editors are what companies should put out with the game. would make life editing rosters in general that much easier for them and us.

12. ahill2

ahill2 Walk On

how do you get the editor or use it?

13. HawaiianRush

HawaiianRush Walk On

I just got NCAA off craigslist for $25, Buffeye is the first rosters I always download, great quality set to start a dynasty with. Gap Integrity you work with Buff for these rosters?

14. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Agreed those are good rosters man.