NCAA Investigation Opened On 4 Schools

Discussion in 'Extreme Makeover' started by majesty95, Aug 26, 2013.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I was going in to update the recruiting thread for Season 2 and was quite surprised what I found when I updated it for the end of last season.

Paytonno1son Florida International was 3 scholarships over their limit.
    Glen Cieske Northern Illinois was 2 scholarships over their limit.
    Ninersfan80 Eastern Michigan was 4 scholarships over their limit.
    Shnoogans10 Temple was 1 scholarship over their limit (One 4* over limit).

I never expected anyone to go over their limit so I didn't really think out a sanction plan. I don't think that just subtracting the amount over form this year's limit is much of a deterrent. I don't want to cripple them either but 8 teams played by the rules and shouldn't be at a disadvantage because the other teams neglected their limits. So, I'm asking for input form the league on how to handle these particular cases and how to proceed going forward.

Here are my thoughts:

The total the school went over +1 subtracted form this year's total

or

A standard 3 scholarship deduction per season for the next two seasons (this season and next) which would impact them should they move to a new school.

I actually favor the second option as it is more of a deterrent and carries over if they move schools. It also puts everyone in the same basket. 1 over of 4 over, you still face the same penalties. Thankfully it didn't happen, but maybe going forward anything over 4 (meaning 5+) is a one year ban?

I'm kind of disappointed as I never expected to face this situation...

What are all of your thoughts?

CJTHA1, bigtubb_, guayo10, woodsmall, titangator, xx Vols xx, BigTexas18

2. majesty95

BTW, I'd prefer this to be an open forum. However, if you are not comfortable giving me your honest assessment in here, please PM me and do so.

3. majesty95

4. titangator

titangator Walk On

I too like the 2nd option.

5. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

22 for me? I'm almost positive the CPU signed 2 guys then. Honestly when Recruiting Week came up in the off-season I had signed 19 guys and I only went after 1 player and used all of my points on him. We saw this happen in Chompions League after the first season, the CPU sign random guys to our teams without us even having them on our recruiting board.

If I have to take a scholly hit fine, but from now on I will be taking screen shots of my board before we advance past Recruiting Week in the offseason.

6. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Well to be honest, then my school might be 6 over because the CPU signed extras for sure. I did sign an extra 3 as I thought the "allowed" column was my senior count and that's why I kept asking about how many we could recruit over. My fault for not paying attention. We might have to do like Glen suggested; "but from now on I will be taking screen shots of my board before we advance past Recruiting Week in the offseason."

And don't forget, I think a lot of the coaches left the table incomplete, so we are not sure of the if all of the coaches have been implicated. I don't think of the 8 unaccused, they were all honest, but I could be wrong.;)

As far as punishment, the second option seems best to deter further violations.(y)

7. BigTexas18

BigTexas18 Walk On

I'll say this. When I went into the offseason, I had 6 left available so I deleted all of my board except the 6 I wanted so the CPU wouldn't sign any I didn't want. Well when I looked at some of the names I only got I think 4 of them. So that means the CPU must have signed 2 extra I guess I'm just lucky I didn't go over. It could have easily been me. I would say give it one more year in case the cpu is signing guys we don't know about. Maybe teams try to track who got signed that we didn't offer. I feel bad if they didn't offer over and still got over. Also I'd hate to be on that side. Maybe take this season to track and monitor it.

8. xx Vols xx

xx Vols xx Vol Nation

In their Defense it is a pain in the ass to keep the CPU from signing these extra guys...I dont know how to keep that from happening.

9. Shnoogans10

Shnoogans10 Walk On

I had same CPU signing problem. At the beginning of the season I offered to 2 4*s. One panned out in scouting and the other didn't. I removed Terry Kramer from my recruiting board like week 10 or something, he was an athlete but apparently made the team. I figured he would have been picked up by another school, since I don't even think I was in his wheel house when I dropped him.

10. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I could of sworn I had 14 signed with me! That is what I counted when we were doing the offseason and I posted it in that thread telling you it happened and I am not sure how. I personally offered 13 and that was it but obviously the CPU had some scholarships out there that I did not know of. You told me taking a player off your board takes away the scholarship that the CPU offered previously. I guess that didn't work. Had no idea I was 4 over but thought I was only 1.

I didn't offer any 1 star's scholarships so that must of been it. The CPU must have offered a couple of them a scholarship and that put me over. I mean he is a one star and never going to play and will end up being cut at some point

11. majesty95

Sigh. Yet another bug. This is getting old. :unsure:

Drifterbub I guess you can add this to the list to check on along with the XP...

12. majesty95

BTW, I went through and updated each school the chart before posting ;)

13. majesty95

Ninersfan80, Glen Cieske, Paytonno1son, Shnoogans10

I just want to clarify some thing to see if we can track down how/why this is happening.
    • Was coaching assistance off and was it on at any point during the season?
    • How many scholarships did you offer throughout the season including guys that you later deleted from your board?
    • How many guys did you have on your board going into the offseason?
    • How many guys did you delete from your board immediately before going into the offseason?
    • Can you verify whether the guys that the CPU signed were "random" guys or guys that you actually recruited at some point?
    Ninersfan80 I know your situation is a little different because you came on mid-season so that's going to be more difficult to track.

14. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    This was identified by myself and confirmed by others before retail launch. Well known issue.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I know I had 3 left I think so I had three guys on my board that I offered scholarships too and were in first place to get them. They were the only three on my board so I thought I was good.
    I don't know if any coaching assistance was off or not. And the extra guys were random since I did come halfway through I can't remember who was recruited and who wasn't.

16. majesty95

OK, well the first thing to do is make sure ALL CPU assistance if off. The next it to ONLY offer scholarships to guys you know you want. I never offered more scholarships than I had room for last year and came in two under. I'm trying to do the same this year. That looks like another way to offset it.

17. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I did only offer to guys I want. But I came in over half way through the year so I guess things happened that I didn't know of.

18. majesty95

What I mean by guys you know you want is really only offer scholarships to guys that you are going to get or have room for (in your scholarship limit). I can't prove it yet, but I think it may be tied to how many scholarships that you offer.

For instance, say you have 20 scholarships available but you offer 25 guys figuring that you won't get a few of those recruits. In deed you don't but the CPU then goes back and fills those positions fro available recruits for you thinking that you still need them. So, you offered 25 schollies, signed 20, and then CPU backfills a couple for you.

Its a theory and I can't prove it but I think that it may play a role. Supposedly this has been an issue the past 3-4 releases but I've never encountered it. Of course, I never offer more than my limit of scholarships so I'm thinking that has to play a role somehow...

19. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I get ya. I couldn't tell you. I am sure the CPU offered more then I had so that could be the reason

20. Shnoogans10

Shnoogans10 Walk On

I turned off assistance after reading about it on here somewhere, but that was like right when the second season started. I only offered maybe like 20 scholarships tops, but that was including guys that I was like 3rd or 4th choice that I got locked out of. As far as that 2nd 4*, I am still not sure how I got him as I removed him knowing he was a QB Athlete, which I don't need, and I don't think I was one of his favorite schools. I also only had like 5 guys left during the off season and like 3500 unused points for recruiting. I am think the CPU may have put them back on or something when we advanced. Since I had so many recruiting points, and I noticed I ended up with six 1 star players. I know I did not even touch 1 stars really during my recruiting.

21. majesty95

I think going forward we should make sure recruiting assistance is off and not offer more scholarships than you have allotted. Removing them from your board does not remove the scholarship offer as in previous years. So it's probably best to not offer until you have a good idea you're in the running. Also, I'm not sure if you guys did this, but making sure you use all of your points that final week, or even late in the season could help that too. We'll also have everyone send me a list of the guys they have offers to before we advance and have them cut anyone that shouldn't hav been signed. Although I feel pretty confident the above suggestions should significantly reduce the chances of it happening.

22. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

My recruiting assistance was turned off before the start of Week 1 Season 1. I know I offered scholarships to a few players that ended up signing to another school, but I was #2 on their board and close to the #1 team so I had to offer to try an sway him my way.

23. Shnoogans10

Shnoogans10 Walk On

I agree with Majesty. Only problem is i have the closer perk for recruiting. So at the end of the year I had 5500 points but only like 4 recruits on my board. I think that plus ending the season pretty well is what did me in. I can cut my other ****, he is redshirted this year and was not part of my plan.