NCAA Reaches $20m settlement over EA Video Games

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by hornfaninbama, Jun 9, 2014.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA has announced a $20 million settlement with former players over college-themed basketball and football video games produced by Electronic Arts.

The NCAA said Monday that the agreement will provide money to plaintiffs headed by former Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller. The case was scheduled for trial in March 2015.

The settlement will award $20 million to certain Division I men's basketball and Bowl Subdivision football players. Details were still be finalized.

The agreement was announced on the same day the NCAA heads to trial in federal court in California. Former UCLA star Ed O'Bannon and others filed a class-action lawsuit claims the NCAA over the use of their images in broadcasts and video games without compensation.

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Hmmmm. Could open a can of worms.

3. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

I believe the settlement was done to close that can of worms.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Not really. I think this sets a precedence such that other cases for amatuerism against the NCAA have tons of merit.

Perhaps it's closed for EA. Well see.

5. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Not sure why this settlement would provide any merit for future cases? Essentially, the agreement means that the money EA made from the NCAA players and their likenesses is no longer in question. The players have agreed to accept $20 million as opposed to accepting their faith by rule of a judge, or arbitrator.

What this means for amateurism overall is a whole different ball of wax.

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You're a whole different ball of wax.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

I believe the "can of worms" being opened is because the settlement pays, "certain players" but there are probably plenty of players who could choose to bring a similar suit and the NCAA has now shown that they will pay. Also, if the NCAA is going to pay players based on profits they made from a video game, what about other revenue streams where they use player likenesses, like multi-million dollar TV deals? Like Drifter said, "can of worms"

• Like Like x 1
  8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

What about 2k? They made both NCAA football and basketball games in the past as well...or I wonder if EA and 2k were both part of this.