NCAA Staleness

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Kasper, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I couldn't think of a decent title, so I went with that. Title aside, I am planning on trying to write a bit of content for the site regarding the "staleness" of NCAA. I have heard a lot of members here around the site use the word stale to describe NCAA this year, but what in particular do YOU think makes the game stale? I'm not asking for groundbreaking ideas- more things that you have noticed over the last couple releases that made you think "really, this is still the same?"

Things that come to mind for me: Teambuilder, RTG (Heisman mode, imo, was a waste), dynasty mode, even recruiting got stale a month after the release.

So what do you think TSO? What are some things that NCAA could simply update/change that could make a big impact on the game and make it feel like something fresh?

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Something that has bothered me the last two releases is the lack of an effective challenge. The feature rarely works. Example: WR catches the ball out of bounds, ruled in bounds, Coach's Challenge called and the refs deem it acceptable even though the first foot was clearly in the white.

While we are at it, add the feature to user games. Several times people have been duped out of a win due to a questionable call. In real college football they review every scoring play. UofCWildcat was robbed of a victory vs me when his receiver caught a legit pass in the endzone with no time left on the clock. My defender then tackled him and caused him to drop it...even though the catch was complete. IMO the booth should have reviewed that and ruled a completed catch.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

1) I do see my fair share of challenges that work, but there is always that thought in my mind of "Hey this is a game with a computer determining whether or not he was in bounds, why would I challenge something it likely glitched on anyways?" I think if there was more of a feeling for sort of "blown calls" to happen on the field that the user can clearly see was a bad one, and could in turn challenge and over rule it (even if the computer knew the whole time that if it was challenged it would be overturned) -- just the idea of the computer giving you a chance to overturn a call that you actually are confident you can get overturned would be nice.

2) I don't want to tag any of our busy staff folks, more hoping they see this, but maybe there is an underlying technical issue with challenges in user games? If there isn't, then there is no good reason for the feature not being there.

4. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Here is one:

1) A release of NCAA that is not plagued by bugs, a polished product. At the very least, bugs that don't cause you to restart the whole damn league. Try not to make it so obvious you're just selling the product to make money off of online lobby gamers that won't play it past a couple of months.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

So, let's say NCAA only added the Infinity engine for 14 and then simply polished this years game on top of that. No different features presentation wise, recruiting, OD's nothing-- just Infinity and a polished game.

Would you pay $60+ for that? I'm not saying I wouldn't, just curious what others think.

6. fuzzyl0gic

Yes. The past two releases we've had to restart the league a few seasons in due to some bug or glitch. I would much rather have a finished product than new features, it would be a start. Maybe it's sad that is my lone expectation. Other genres/games are just different I guess. Take Skyrim, it had some bugs, but it didn't make the game unplayable. I know a lot of games these days require patches, it just sucks to restart the whole thing when you sink so much time into recruiting, playing games, write-ups, content, etc.

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I would say that the need for constant interaction between the servers and your OD's makes it a bit of a apples to oranges thing to compare it to Skyrim-- but at the same time I know exactly what you mean Fuzzy.

8. fuzzyl0gic

I know, it's a different animal. I've just never encountered a game where you can lose so much progress because of a bug or glitch. I also don't remember it happening near as much in NCAA 10 or 11.

9. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

Personally The Infinity engine still needs work, when yr tackle animations look like the Recievers and Running Backs are being shot doesn't come off like a finished product. Yes there have been bugs that have made alot of leagues restart, In all still alot people still play Ncaa despite the bugs.

nothing will ever be perfect when dealing with programing.

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Sure fire way to get me interested in NCAA again? 124 man league.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Is it technically impossible on the current hardware or what?

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    No

12 is a decision they made.

13. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

That makes me incredibly sad.

14. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It shouldn't.

1) They chose 12 because the game before Online Dynasty supported 12 users.
    2) Current metrics show that most leagues can't even stay 12 full.

TSO might be the only site on the interwebz that could organize and sustain a full 124 man league, and that would required a lot of work (Conference Commissioners).

15. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Good points, I always forget we are a very small minority in the sports gaming world in regards to stability of leagues. (irony in ME making that statement?)

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    tumblr_llmgrhPKhN1qazyat.gif

17. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I'm sure there is a limitation with a 124 man league. Outside of that, you might as well play lobby games because this site is the only site that could organize such a league and advance past the first year. However, I agree that the limit should be greater than 12.

Shaun's problem is that he doesn't like playing the CPU, which I think can be fixed. Probably easier than playing users (slant, slant, out, dive, slant, dive, out, slant, slant, bomb, slant, bomb).

• Like Like x 2
  18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Challenges during user games are disabled for a reason. I don't want to deal with that shit while playing an already extended version of a game.

However, the actual problem is that the refs don't get the call right on the field or after the review. There is a glitch with sideline detection and the new catch system that needs to be addressed.

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Who are you playing?

I don't like playing the CPU. I can only handle a couple a year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

The CPU play calling is god awful , and the CPU psychic defensive coordinator is just as bad if not worse.

Commentary makes Phil Simms seem like a football genius.

Recruiting has annoying bugs & gets boring after 2 weeks.

I may be too scorn by NCAA to ever go back , just tired of the same game every year. Add some turd polish here & there and show clips of the game playing beautifully and then ship out a broken version of what got me excited in the first place. Broken features like playbook creation that causes multiple issues to gameplay.

Forgot how much I hate NCAA , thanks Kasper lol

21. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I'm with you. It's sad that even with the salary cap glitch in Madden this year, TMFL has went far smoother than NCAA ever did for us, and that's with 3x as many people.

• Like Like x 1
  22. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

The game is stale because of:

• Awful Presentation
    • Repetitive commentary
    • Poor AI both on the field and recruiting
    • Dated look
    • Not enough user teams in Online Dynasty
    • unrealistic engine

23. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Even if you fix the CPU's logic on the field, I have yet to see them kick my ass on the recruiting trail. Even with lower prestige schools, they cannot identify the studs.

24. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    In NCAA 13, the big schools knew who the studs were (from my experience). That's how they kept the status quo. The issue was I could look at a guy's team list and tell if he was a bust or a gem.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    They would in NCAA 12 for the top level guys. NCAA 13 targeting and scholarship logic was broken. Not much can be said there.

I think we made it very clear to the dev team that there was a playability problem with the recruiting system. When someone like me gets tired of it, then you know you really didn't deliver to the masses.