NCAA11 Blog-Offensive Styles (PISTOL)

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Emmdotfrisk, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Oct 8, 2009
  2. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Feb 25, 2009
    Featured Threads:
    I was considering a Pistol offense with the Wolverines this year.
  3. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

May 26, 2010
    Yea...I really dislike that formation, and will probably never use it.
  4. Ocho

Ocho Playoffs?

Aug 23, 2009
    This is my favorite formation. It's really only great if you have a Dual Threat QB. If you do it can be very dangerous. Mixing in some read options, Speed option, triple option, power option. It can be fun and deadly.
  5. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

Jun 23, 2009
    I just dont like the fact you have to run about 8 yards just to get to the line of scrimmage
  6. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Jun 9, 2009
    If ran correctly (and they fixed all the animation hiccups with the handoffs and such), the amount of depth that the RB has at the start of the play should allow for most RBs to run downhill, hitting the holes at full speed.

There's a reason why Nevada averages 200+ ypg rushing and averaged a staggering 344 ypg running the ball last season and it's all because of that formation.

I'm DEFINITELY going to be giving it a try with a team that has a decent dual threat QB. Hopefully the blocking is corrected enough to where it's more effective than it was in '10.
  7. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Mar 4, 2010
    Two things:

IU runs the pistol, but also runs a no-huddle, even though it's not an up-tempo no huddle, so they got that wrong.

IU uses the pistol in a different way than Nevada and Ohio. Instead of using it as an offense for a dual threat guy (even though we have a few of those who can run it effectively), the point of IU running the pistol is to get more multiple as an offense. As you're able to pass as effectively as you can run out of the formation and it works well with an H-back, it really fit what we were looking for in that we still had guys who were fit for a spread offense, but wanted to be able to run the ball downhill instead of laterally.

The Pistol is a different formation than the others because it combines essential concepts from the one back, the I, and the shotgun packages. It doesn't require sustained blocks (it's much more important to get a quick pop off the line to hold the D off for a few seconds when the Pistol's used for a quick strike), so IU had the fewest sacks allowed in the Big 10 last year. Running the ball is also considerably different, so it'll be interesting to see how (and if) the offense actually works this year. It's a really cool style of play, but it hasn't been as effective in past years as it probably should have.