Nebraska back on top of college football

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    In what has seemed like forever since Nebraska's last title, has ended as the Cornhuskers have returned to the top and have become the BCS title winners, taking down Miss. State 45-30.

It has been a long and tough road and it started from last year's team as they went a very disappointing 9-5, dropping a star of prestige and losing their last two games of that season. That year was very tough to swallow considering Nebraska may of had their most talented team ever assembled last year. It featured over 5 1st rounders and tons of highly skilled players that went onto the NFL, including the trio or WR's in Dustin Herron, Erik Morris and Eric Smith.

This year's team was different. See they weren't as talented as last year's team. They didnt' have a top flight QB like last year, in fact they were starting a freshman, either Chris Warren or Charlie Barnes. They didn't have an impact RB this year, in fact they were going with a two tier RB system in Sterling Vincent and Terrence Charles. Their WR corps took a huge hit with the loss of their top 3 WR's and one of the freshman QB's would be throwing to a new corp of WR's who weren't use to starting. The only holdovers were the C, LT, RG and TE from the previous year.

In fact the defense seemed to be unit that would have to carry this team with 3 big time DT's manning the front, a duo of impact LB's and a secondary that was rated tops in the nation by KERMPLOOMP scouting services.

What happened during the year was this team becoming a family and playing as a unit, something the more talented roster from last year didn't do.

Chris Warren ended up being the starter at QB and he just showed why he was the #1 rated pocket passing QB of his class. He made big times throws on the biggest stages, a few to beat rival Penn State, a few to beat OSU and saved maybe his best game for last, throwing for 445yds in the national title game. His arm came through countless times, when the run game wasn't as effective as the staff had hoped. WR's Ricky Goff, Erik Smith, Desmond High and JB Bishop were a quartet that was tough to defend as Warren spreaded the ball evenly amongst the 4 with only Bishop going over 1000 yards receiving as Warren threw for over 4000 yards on the year.

The title game signified this team in a nutshell. #1 WR Ricky Goff only had 24yds receiving but had a big time TD grab in the 3rd quarter. #2 WR Desmond High had a game high 132yds receiving and a TD as he was the #1 go-to target for Warren in this game. Slot WR Erik Smith made big time grabs on 3rd downs and kept the chains moving. Then TE J.B. Bishop used his wide body and girth to sky over defenders and shield them from the ball all the while catching 5 balls for 105yds and a TD. The RB corps chipped in with Vincent having 99yds receiving, 54 of which came on a screen pass for a TD and while rushing for 96 yards and a TD as well. #2 RB Terrence Charles had a TD run as well in the game.

The defense had a tough and daunting task of shutting down a option attack that has caused many defensive coordinators headaches and they certainly did again this time with Miss St QB Cameron Jones rushing for 2TD's on the game on option keepers. But for the most part they didnt' let Miss State get tons of yards on the ground with 6 guys stopping the run behind the LOS. They sacked QB Cameron Jones 3 times all by 3 different guys (DE Edwards, LB's Crowder and Washington). They also picked him off 2 times, 1 by MLB PAtrick McCauley and one by the guy that was tormented by this same team last year, Yusef Smith. "They took advantage of my play last year and this year I had a chip on my shoulder to contain them and make them work for their yards," said Smith.

When Miss State's comeback bid ended when their onside kick flailed out of bounds, the Nebraska sideline bursted with emotion and coach Moreecemos was doused with gatorade. "These kids deserved all the credit in the world for becoming a family and the best group of kids I've ever coached," said Moreecemos.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Great recap mo

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yep great writeup... Penis!

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

bumping since you did win the title and all... Congrats, I hope you go down this year

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

6. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I have this gif bookmarked as "notimpressed"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1