Nebraska Cornhuskers 2010 Edition

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ZepHead, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

Nebraska Cornhuskers 2010 Edition

[​IMG]

NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS FOOTBALL 2010 EDITION​

August 30, 2009 Lincoln, Nebraska -- Back in the spring, the Nebraska assistant coaches traveled around the country to places such as Oregon, Texas A&M, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech and Rutgers to exchange offensive and defensive ideas and schemes. The coaches came back very impressed with what they saw.

OFFENSIVE SCHEME

Offensively, Nebraska has QB Lee, RB Castille and WRs Paul and Gilly as returning starters and leaders on offense. With a big bruising back, a pocket passer and good WRs, there are rumors abound that Nebraska will feature a pro style offense a la Rutgers this fall.

While not denying the rumors, Pelini mentioned how much his coaches also raved about Coach Kelly's offense at Oregon. When asked how much of those coach interactions actually influence decisions to change his system, he had this to say:

"Obviously, we believe in running a system that fits our personnel. We will not turn down a running QB who is interested in our school just because we run a pro offense today. Having said that, we are always looking for plays and schemes that bring out the best in our kids while still maintaining a certain degree of continuity to keep them comfortable in the system. So yes, those camps are good for our young coaches because they see an idea and at the back of their mind they are always thinking about our kids and what they can and can't do. I wouldn't be surprised to see an Oregon-like offense down the road, nor would I be shocked if we continue to line up in the I formation."

Playbook: TBD

DEFENSIVE SCHEME

Defensively, Coach Pelini said the coaches were most impressed with Coach Bud Foster's camp at Virginia Tech. This revelation comes as no surprise, given how VT has always fielded great defensive teams under Foster. Nebraska will be incorporating some of their 4-4 G and Robber concepts this year in their base 4-3 defense. Pelini sounded upbeat about the depth on defense, and excitement over a young but talented secondary with two freshman starters at FS and SS.

Playbook: 4-3

POSITION CHANGES

* Sr. backup QB Washington has switched to OLB on defense. He will be a starter.
    * Jr (RS) WR Mendoza has switched to HB. He is currently battling So. HB Okafor for 2nd string.

2. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

Week 1: WKU at #11 Nebraska

Column 1
    WKU Nebraska
    Score 15 55
    First downs 4 27
    Total offense 128 542
    rushes yds td 22-64-0 68-317-4
    comp-att-TD 7-19-0 17-19-3
    passing yds 64 225
    turnovers 1 2
    fumbles 1 2
    interceptions 0 0
    punts - avg 9-41 yds 1-53 yds
    penalties - yds 3-22 yds 4-27 yds
    TOP 7:57 20:06

QB Lee 10/10 - 148 yards - 2 TD
    HB Mendoza 40 rush - 200 yards - 2 TD

The newest members of college football's Bowl Subdivision put up a great fight and managed two touchdowns off fumbles. We hope they build a strong program and eventually do justice to their lovely mascot :D

QB Lee to be benched?

Bo Pelini was seen popping veins on his forehead today in the post game press conference. He couldn't hide his disappointment in the performance of the offense as a unit, and he hinted at the possibility of a few depth chart changes for next week's trip to Nevada. Only TE McNeill's job was secure, he said.

[​IMG]
    Mendoza's Coming out Party

HB Castille suffered a shoulder injury after only 9 carries, keeping him out for the rest of the game. Enter Mendoza, the WR converted to HB. He carried the ball 40 times (!) for 200 yards and 2 TD and is proving to be a valuable change of pace speedy back to complement Castille.

Up next: A trip to Reno, NV to face Chris Ault's famous pistol offense.

3. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

Week 2: #11 Nebraska 34 - 7 Nevada

Column 1
    Nebraska Nevada
    Score 34 7
    First downs 24 12
    Total offense 477 297
    rushes yds td 52-229-3 18-63-0
    comp-att-TD 16-22-1 17-34-1
    passing yds 248 234
    turnovers 0 0
    fumbles 0 0
    interceptions 0 0
    punts - avg 1-46 yds 4-38.8 yds
    penalties - yds 4-30 yds 3-30 yds
    TOP 18:44 10:05

Z. Lee 13-18 198 yards TD
    Q. Castille 30 rush - 150 yds - 2 TD
    C. Gilleylen 3 rec 97 yds

Highlights:
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/8903974
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/8904010

Nebraska's athleticism on both sides of the ball proved too much for Nevada as the Cornhuskers cruised to a 34-7 victory in Reno today. RB Castille was the player of the game, rushing for 150 yards and two touchdowns as Pelini relied on his nasty offensive line and his stable of running backs to come away with victory#2.

Pretenders or Contenders?
    Pelini's antics last week on making depth chart and schematic changes paid off as Nebraska did not commit any turnovers and looked confident on offense. But Pelini was quick to caution against reading too much into the last two games. "Our schedule will only get tougher and there are many areas of improvement for this team as a whole, but particularly on offense. We have a veteran squad but that doesn't mean much when you are rusty and not focusing on the fundamentals. We have a long way to go before we can be competitive against Big 12 competition, let alone replicate last year's results."

4. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

Husker Power

Column 1
    Nebraska Iowa State
    Score 38 0
    First downs 15 6
    Total offense 366 105
    rushes yds td 50-234-4 22-9-0
    comp-att-TD 6-11-1 7-18-0
    passing yds 132 96
    turnovers 0 0
    fumbles 0 0
    interceptions 0 0
    punts - avg 2-50.5 yds 9-43.9 yds
    penalties - yds 2-10 yds 5-55 yds
    TOP 19:16 7:37

Huskers Dominate the Cyclones. [​IMG]

The Huskers put on a show for their new HC, Nebraska ran the ball 50 times and put up 38 points in a steam rolling of ISU. The defense played lights out. giving up 105 total yards of offense and 144 total yards all night. QB Lee who returned from a torn pectoral didnt have to use his arm much, except to hand the ball off to the array of TBs that Nebraska has. NU pounded the ball up and down the field and when the defense came out it was a show.. ISU did not cross into NU territory until 3mins left in the 4th quarter. NU played its 2nd team for nearly the entire 2nd half. with the starters going out with 4 mins left in the 3rd and they did not miss a beat.

[​IMG]
    NU will return #1TB Castille

next week as NU travels to Manhattan KS to take on the pouter kittens.

5. T2

#5 Nebraska Vs Kansas State

Huskers Crush K-State.

Column 1
    Nebraska KSU
    Score 49 10
    First downs 19 13
    Total offense 519 221
    rushes yds td 46-345-4 35-78-0
    comp-att-TD 11-15-2 13-25-0
    passing yds174 143
    turnovers 3 1
    fumbles 1 0
    interceptions 2 1
    punts - avg 1-51 yds 4-42.7 yds
    penalties - yds 5-37 yds 0-0 yds

1st Qtr.

Nebraska dominates this quarter. Putting up 14 points the first score came at 2:54 when Z. Lee caught TE Mike McNeill across the goal line from 10yrds out. 7-0 'Skers Then with less than a minute to go in the 1st qtr J. Makovicka rumbled in from 3yards out. 14-0 'Skers. Kansas State went 3 and out on every drive this quarter.

2nd Qtr

Nebraska again dominated the 2nd quarter posting another 14 points. This time star TB Quentin Castille ran in from 22yrd then broke loose for a 72 yard TD run down the right sideline. 28-0 Huskers at the half. Kansas State failed to get 1 first down or break the 50yard line.

3rd Qtr.

Nebraska Dominated the 3rd quarter. again Castille who returned from injury suffered 5 weeks ago looked like he never missed a beat. another 7 yard TD run for him. 35-0 'Skers. @ the 3min mark the Blackshirts really solidified the win with a 71yrd INT return by C. Osbourne making it 42-0 Huskers. Kansas State would get on the board for the first time this game and the first time any one had scored on Coach T2Express since taking over. 49yrd FG brought KSU to 42-3.

4th Qtr.

Nebraska made a couple mistakes in this quarter when Castille dropped the ball and it was ruled a fumble KSU picked it up and ran 40yards for the TD. the only TD scored so far on coach T2Express. Nebraska would respond with a 30yard pass from C. Green to R. Hill to finish out the scoring for the game with 3mins left to play. 49-10 would be the final in favor of the Huskers.

POST GAME INTERVIEW

Coach T2Express had this to say after the drubbing of KSU.

"We looked great again on the road. our defense was sharp and offense clicks no matter who is carrying the ball for us. Zac needs to work on selecting better targets when throwing the ball but nothing to bad. we fixed what we needed by doubling our 3rd down percentage. it wasnt until late in the game that missed our first 3rd down. I feel we got robbed on the fumble but i was over to see it and the officals justed called it like they saw it. but this game was just a practice for the real part of our schedule that starts next week back @ home Vs. Texas.. then we travel to stilwater to take on the Pokes, then Mizzou at home. followed by a trip to College station and then finish with CU. this will prove if we are for real or not."

OTHER NOTES

TB Q. Castille broke the school rushing record by carrying the ball 304yards against the power kittens.

6. T2

#5 Nebraska Vs #2 Texas

NEBRASKA DOWNS #2 TEXAS 31-7!!!!

Nebraska Texas
    Score 31 7
    First downs 12 10
    Total offense 327 194
    rushes yds td 34-107-3 19-23-1
    comp-att-TD 10-14-1 13-22-0
    passing yds 220 171
    turnovers 0 3
    fumbles 0 0
    interceptions 0 3
    punts -avg 3-47.5 yds 4-47.5 yds
    penalties - yds 0-0 yds 1-10 yds
    TOP 11:48 12:28

1st Qtr..

UT won the toss and chose to kick off to start the game. NU took the ball from the 20 and ran the ball several times to the 50 where they were stopped on 3rd down and NU punted. UT took over inside their 10 and began to drive the field. UT got to the NU 48 where they were forced to punt.. NU got the ball back and drove down the field eating up the rest of the Qtr. NU opened up its passing attack and supplemented it with some running plays.

2nd Qtr

Q. Castille took a toss right and banged his way into the endzone giving NU the lead 7-0. UT would respond in kind driving the field and punching it in on a S. Harris 3yrd run 7-7.. it wouldnt be until less than a minute left in the half that NU scored on a 6yrd pass from Lee to Castille giving NU the 14-7 lead. NU never looked back again. UT was tying to get inposition to get some much needed points prior to half time and Harris was picked off. Again NU called on Castille to carry the Huskers to the endzone. He caught a pass left and rumbled down to the 1yrd line where on the next play with 3seconds left Zac Lee ran in on an option play to give NU the 21-7 Halftime lead.

3rd Qtr.

UT took the ball and flowndered. NU would get another INT from Harris and it set up NU possiession posied to strike again. Zac Lee hit his Favorite target of the day. TE Mike McNeill on a 59yrd catch which would set up another Castille run from 8yrds out. 28-7 NU. UT and NU would trade punts to round out the qtr.

4th Qtr.

UT began to shut the NU offense down. NU was set up by a 3rd Harris INT and was forced to settle with a 33yrd FG to go finish the scoring in the game 31-7. UT played very well but had a hand full of mistakes that NU was able to capitalize on.

I would like to Congratuate Skip on a well fought game i surly hope i dont have to face him again this year. good luck to UT on the rest of the season!

Game Stats

NU

QB Z. Lee 10- 14 220yrd 1TD

TB Q. Castille 26- 89yrds 3TDs
    M. Mendoza 4- 31yrds
    Z. Lee 4- -13yrds 1TD

WR M. McNeill 4- 135yrds
    Q. Castille 2- 39yrds
    C. Gilleylen 1- 18yrds
    J. Makovicka 1- 9yrds
    N. Paul 1- 13yrds
    M. Mendoza 1- 6yrds

DEFENSE

4 Sks, 3INTs

UT STATS

QB S. Harris 13-22 171yrds 3INTs

TB S. Harris 14- 26yrds 1TD
    F. Whittaker 3-6yrds

WR F. Whittaker 3-26yrds
    B. Irby 3- 24yrds
    J. Kirkendoll 3-50yrds
    B. Collins 3-42yrds
    M. Webber 1- 29yrds

DEFESNSE

1Sks, 1FF

Here are some HighLights from the game..

[YOUTUBE]grEG54rCZDw[/YOUTUBE]
    Zac Lee TD pass

[YOUTUBE]lNBwPew3hlY[/YOUTUBE]
    McNeill rumbles down field.

[YOUTUBE]mHn3bFfCJGE[/YOUTUBE]
    NU's First big break of the game

[YOUTUBE]Y9j_dHZk5So[/YOUTUBE]
    Castille TD Run 7-0 NU

[YOUTUBE]-w6ZCu2G3Pg[/YOUTUBE]
    UT INT view of NU DE Play.

7. T2

#3NU Vs #4 OkSt

NU LOSES TO OKST 28-27....

Stats and Summary tomorrow!

8. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

WOW! Last year it was OU. Tough loss but the Huskers have the talent to get to the CG.

9. T2

ya i shouldnt have lost... i turn it over with jsut about a min to left on a lee fumble when he was clearly down.. :( ill have these stats up soon.

10. T2

NU Vs Mizzou

NU Pounds Mizzou on the legs of Castille..

Castille adds 100+yrds and 5 TDs in Route of Mizzou.. 56-21...

Zac Lee ran the option to perfection adding 100yrds him slef...

More Stats and Summary to come tomorrow!

11. T2

NU Vs TAMU

TX A&M gets pounded by Castille and the Huskers 27-44

Stats and More Tonight!

12. T2

NU Dominates CU

NU hammers CU 51-19

It started off with a Castille run to go up 7-0.. CU would be impressive and strike quickly with its effective passing game. 7-7 after 1qtr.

In the 2nd NU ripped off 24 unanswered points. Running on the legs of Castille NU put up 2 offensive touchdowns, 1 Defensive TD and a FG just before half. The point expolsion was stunning as it was impressive. The defense played lights out, the offense looked seamless. CU was caught in a wirl wind. after losing their star TB on their first scoing drive the Buffs were stunned going into half time 31-7. but Coach Cadepetty would not let his team lie down and get steam rolled.

Cu came out after half and put together another great show from its passing attack. after their first drive Cu inched closer with a 31-13 deficet. but the Huskers put the hammer down. NU would grab 3 FGs and 2 TDs to finish out the scoing with 51. CU would get a late TD with less than 1min to play.

The huskers move on to the Big12 Title game and will likely rematch Texas or Oklahomo State. the Corncobbs finish 11-1 in 2010. and 6-1 under Coach T2Express.

13. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Conratulations on your Big 12 North Championship, you sure you leaving Lincoln?

14. T2

NU loses Big12 Title Game.

NU came out passing and boy was it a stupid mistake. Coach T2Express read to much into the sliders not allowing a passing attack. well its true. Zac Lee goes down early. and wheels fell off the corn wagon.

My hat goes off to Skip. he knew what he was facing and he shut it down. the then ripped NU at its own game. NU played well in first half going down 9 to start the 3rd. NU would bring the game to its closest point on a Mike McNeil pass and a Hill 2pt to close with in 8 @ 16-8. but a blown coverage gave UT a wide open pass down the middle. to seal it @ 23-8. ut would add a late fg to finish scoring at 26-8.

NU turned the ball over 4 times. and couldnt make anything happen on defense.

sad day for husker nation.

Coach T2Express is now 0-2 in conference championship games in all Online Dynastys.

15. T2

ya sdid.. im sure i m ready to leave lincoln.. im ready to go home..

16. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

i will make the switch you wanna go now or wait?

17. T2

NU Wins One Last Game for T2Express

Q. Castille told his offense to win one for the coach that led us this far.

Castille got the ball 42 times agains oregon state. and ran for 334 yards and 4tds. Backup TB Mendoza had 18 carries for 90 yards.

The defense played lights out picked off 3 passes from beaver QB and help NU win one last game for their Coach that inspired them to greatness. T2Express. 42-0 was the final.

Coach T2Express announced after the game that he will be leaving NU to go to Texas A&M

"I know a lot of people out there are going to say why in the hell are you leaving Nebraska. Well i loved my time here at Nebraska. i loved the kids that played for me here. i wish them all the luck and i told them to welcome their new coach. but for me going to Texas A&M has been something ive always wanted to do. i want to be the Bobby Bowden of TAMU. I would love to stay but when it all comes down to it.. Im just ready to go home." "i know that means walkin into a tough place and turn a school around that yerns for success. Well College Station get ready, im coming to put you on the map."