Nebraska escapes the Big House

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    NEBRASKA (AP)- Taylor Martinez wanted to go out as a NCAA champion, leading his Cornhuskers to a title win. En route to that was probably the toughest challenge yet...going into the Big House to face the Wolverines.

Today, Martinez went out with a bang, just not quite how he expected. The SR-QB was knocked out after fumbling a ball deep in Nebraska territory that not only cost his team points but his healthy for the rest of the game. "I wanted to go back out there but the doctors were adamant that I'd say on the sidelines," said Martinez. Taylor was diagnosed with a concussion and his healthy was put first before anything.

By that time, the score had been 14-13 Nebraska, so there was cause for concern that this was Michigan's game after the fumble. Yet Nebraska's defense stepped up and allowed the offense to seize control. "We had to do this for T-Mart," said CB Dijon Washington. The defense got the ball back and it was Brion Carnes, a redshirt JR to take over the reigns. "They just told me to play my game," said Carnes.

The Cornhuskers by this time had turned the ball over 2 times with interceptions and this was with an effective Trey Smith rushing the ball. "We kinda got away from the run during the middle of the game," said Coach Moreecemos. Smith began to work, breaking off solid runs left and right and set up Carnes for a TD pass to Stanley Jean Baptiste to put Nebraska up 21-13.

This began the see-saw battle as Michigan immediately scored thereafter to tie the game at 21 thanks to Stephen Hopkins breaking off a 71 yard run and converting the 2 point conversion.

Nebraska, now tied after a huge play in the Big House needed a big play. They turned to Trey Smith, who has been the team's best game breaker...and he did so soon after, breaking a 80 yard run for a TD which shocked the Big House and making it quiet that you could hear a pin drop. "I've never heard Ann Arbor quite this quiet but I like it," said Coach Moreecemos.

That was the turning point in the game. Michigan would soon after throw a pick to the aforementioned Dijon Washington, who returned it for a TD and really put this game out of reach for Michigan. Down 35-21, Michigan never recovered. In a span of about 2 minutes, Nebraska scored 21 points to Michigan's 8. "That was huge to just pile up the points out there and I'm glad my teammates stepped it up and I'm glad BC (Carnes) made some big plays out there to guide us to victory," said Martinez.

PLAYER OF THE GAME- RB TREY SMITH- 23car, 260yds, TD, 2rec, 16yds, TD

• Like Like x 2
  2. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Great game as usual Mo. Some day I will find a way to beat you! Here are some of my highlights in the game:

Hopkins run:

Martinez fumble:

Thomas High INT:

High 2