Nebraska Presser.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Nebraska Presser.

Coach what were your keys to victory in that huge win against #1 texas?

Has this signature win helped you at all on the recruiting trail?

Who has really stepped up for your team this season on offense and defense?

2. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

[​IMG]
    Coach: With regards to the Texas game, I can tell you that in that locker room there were lots of elated kids. I have never seen a group so emotionally high. Naturally as a coach you want to let them enjoy the win, as they say victory is sweet, but my job is to make sure I get them ready for the next game.
    Notwithstanding, I will be happy to answer Texas questions in this press conference

Aggressive play and Fire.
    Our game plan on both sides of the ball is aggressive, we will bring that to the table every week, but the kids brought an inner fire that I hadn't seen before.
    When you combine that desire with aggression, you get results on the field. Everyone was flying around, giving 110%.

A win like that, on the road, against the #1 team, on national TV, primetime cannot hurt recruiting. As you know, because of rules I am unable to discuss specific recruits, but we were going head to head with Texas on 4 different recruits where we are both 1 and two on. We lost out on one of the recruits last week and the other 3 we are still a bit behind on.
    So to answer your question, we have yet to see results. One game a season does not make, we have to be more consistent to week in and week out and the recruits will come.

On offense we have a kid that is flying under the radar... let me talk a bit about him. Starting QB Cody Green, the kid is still only a sophmore.

Cody is #1 in passing TDs with 26... and only thrown 8 INTs.
    He is #9 in total passing yards with 2149, averaging 268 yards per game.

He has learned this offense inside out and he plays within his capabilities. Truly remarkable, he will be something special.

On defense our difference maker is JR LE Cameron Meredith. A tremendous pass rusher. He has been extremely disruptive this year. He has totalled 35 tkls (18TFL, 8 sacks). Teams usually run and roll out to the opposite side just to take him out of the gameplan.

* IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS FROM OUR CALLERS, PLEASE LEAVE THEM HERE. *
    [​IMG]

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Can you say trap game coach? What will you do to avoid a let down against an improved KSU squad?

Can your players keep focus with a huge game with Colorado looming?

4. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

[​IMG]

Dominant effort coach. Talk about how your defense put up such a great effort against an improved KSU team.

Cody Green was highly efficient. talk about his play this year.

What does this program need to do to be a BCS champion in the future?

5. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

This is a tough and relentless defense, what makes them special is that they play so hard and aggressive that it forces mistakes on the other side. Although it may sound counterintuitive, our defense manages to wear out opposing offenses..... emotionally.

Having said that ... I still expect more from these guys, we have to start tackling better, we can't be caught so far out of position on misdirection plays and by god, we have to hang on to those interceptions we keep dropping.

You know, you can criticize players when they are thinking good about themselves because this is when they are most receptive.

My man Cody, he is something special. In this offense we rely a lot on the QB, since we like to spread 'em out and let out QB make some plays, but to play in this system you gotta make good decisions and take care of the football. It's not every day that you find a sophmore QB manage games like he does.

What Cody does best is putting the ball where our guys can make plays. We have four tremendous playmakers at the WR spots... and he just lets them make plays.

We have already proven we can hang with the best, now what we need to do is prove we can play at the highest level week in and week out. Consistency is the theme for next year.

Our main focus for the year is winning the XII championship, that will propel our recruiting nationally (has been slow this year).

6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

What will be your keys to win vs. Colorado?

7. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Its all gonna be real simple, this game will be decided by our boys in the trenches: We gotta stop their rushing attack. If we can force them to go the air, we will force some turnovers.

On the other side of the ball, we feel confident that we can score points, our offense is at a point where its clicking. Our defense hasn't reached that point just yet.

8. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

How does it feel to be Big 12 North champs?

What will you take from your win against Texas to help you game plan for the Conference Championship?

9. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

It's definately a step in the right direction, but we have higher goals we have yet to accomplish.

The Texas win was the tipping point for this team -- we went into that game as a team on the rise, but very unsure of ourselves... we left that game knowing we can compete with the elite teams in the nation.

How is the Big12 south shaping up?

10. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Texas won their in.

11. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Ohhh, rematch! Will be a great game!

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Coach what prompted QB Cody Green to leave early for the draft?

13. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

I am truly shocked and at the same time disappointed in his decision. In his first year as a starter, he broke numerous school records.

His stat line was very impressive for a kid so young:
    3703 yards
    269 out of 403 (66% completion)
    46 TDs, 14Int
    172.1 QB rating

He had a chance to do something special with his 2 years of elegibility remaining.

What it came down to for him: the dollar signs, he comes from a needy family and he is chasing the benjamins.

I wish him the best. Our QB race for next season is now up in the air and will be a dogfight into and thru camp.

14. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Talk about your hot start to the 2012 season.

What will it take to win another Big12 North title?

15. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

bumppppp

16. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

The team got off to a good start, but had an early slip up vs Florida. That was a real letdown for our guys.... but they picked themselves up real well and ran off 7 straight wins until we slipped again at Oklahoma.

Most of the credit has to go to the defense. We got two kids that have put up spectacular numbers:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8
    Name Pos Year Tackles TFL Sacks int ff
    Sean Fisher ROLB Senior :)RS:) 84 40 24 1 3
    Will Compton MLB Senior :)RS:) 72 17 14 0 1

They have carried the team and both are 1/2 for the LB of the year and Bednarik awards.

Its gonna take a complete game, Colorado always plays tough and coach bcduggan puts his team in a position to succeed.

If I had to single out the most critical aspect of the game, I would have to say the run game. When we run the ball effectively our offense is prolific. When we don't we are one dimensional and much easier to stop.

On the offensive side of the ball we rely heavily on our three big boys in the trenches (Steinkuhler, Toailoa, Jackson), they are ranked #1,#2 and #4 for Best OL. A very impressive accomplishment.

17. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

and I almost forgot to mention.... starting QB Spano is out for the game with rib injury.

18. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

You finally did it coach, tell us about the journey to the Big 12 CHAMPIONSHIP?

What's next for the Huskers?

Do you have enough coming back and coming in to repeat in 2013?

19. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

What a ride! We got started this season and we got off to a scorching start against Rutgers and UCLA. This was very important because coming into the year we had lost our leader QB Cody Green (So:RS:) to the draft. Spano came in and was spectacular.

Then came the dissapointment vs Florida. Who can forget the quick drive Spano put up to tie the game in under 30 seconds... and both Fontenot 50yd FGs.

Nebraska played with a chip on their shoulder, rattling off 7 straight wins and 8 of their last 9.

Week Opponent Result Score
    1 Rutgers W 43-16
    2 @UCLA W 45-10
    3 Florida (sdid22) L 20-23
    4 @Wisconsin W 17-0
    5 Kansas W 45-10
    6 @Texas Tech W 41-20
    7 Baylor W 31-10
    8 @Kansas State (Ndcolts1979) W 28-24
    9 Missouri W 20-7
    10 @Iowa State W 31-14
    11 @Oklahoma (JCA8089) L 17-31
    12 BYE - N/A
    13 Colorado (buffbullfan) W 24-6
    14 BYE - N/A
    15 BYE - N/A
    CCG Texas (skipwondah) W 24-17
    Fiesta Bowl Florida (sdid22) - -

Rematch with Florida at the Fiesta.

Nebraska is graduating 15 seniors and has 1 walkon. Currently we have 15 players commited to our team, which means that barring any transfers or players leaving early, we have 1 spot in our class.

Commits Star ratings
    1 :5stars:
    9 :4stars:
    4 :3stars:
    0 :2stars:
    0 :1stars:
    15 Total

This class is currently rated #5 in the nation and has tremendous variety and fills various positions of need for Nebraska. The most notable misses are along the defensive line.

Commitment List:

# Recruit Name Position Position Rank State Star Rating Comment
    1 Jeremiah Robinson SS #51 NE :3stars: -
    2 Allan Williams HB #8 CO :4stars: Nimble RB
    3 Colby Mullins G #26 CO :3stars: Diamond in the rough
    4 Matt Cobb SS #8 MI :4stars: -
    5 Clinton Peterson ATH #10 CA :4stars: Excited to evaluate him more closely to see best fit.
    6 Lance Adams CB #18 LA :4stars: Great top speed
    7 Jacob Price T #5 TX :4stars: -
    8 Joe Christensen MLB #6 UT :4stars: -
    9 Joey McGee FS #1 CA :5stars: Prized recruit!
    10 Corey Ward T #32 CA :3stars: Diamond in the rough
    11 Jeremiah Dickerson OLB #9 AL :4stars: -
    12 Nick Russell CB #6 MN :4stars: Physical corner
    13 Craig Broussard TE #24 CA :3stars: -
    14 Victor Jacobs G #9 AL :4stars: -
    15 Darryl Miller OLB #12 NC :4stars: Huge OLB. Possible position change?
    16 - - - - -

We expect all our players to be back next year and we have a very tough summer conditioning program that will make some of these boys grow into men.

The arrow is pointing straight up. We not only expect to reload for next year, we expect to be better!

20. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

How were you able to dismantle FSU the way you did?

Who were the stars of this game for the Huskers?

Any early recruiting news?

21. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

FSU really dug themselves into a hole early with turnovers, from their they had to become a very one dimensional team... which translated into more turnovers.

Its tough to stay competitive in a game when you turn the ball over 6 times.

The offense did a spectacular job controlling the clock, RB Smith really carried the load for us and kept the chains moving.

The game ball actually goes to home field advantage. I feel that our racous crowd really rattled them and helped create confusion. That brief second guessing that usually makes you half a step late, and that translates into turnovers in the passing game.

Absolutely, we have a couple of young men that have decided to enroll early and will be joining our practice squad soon.

I will go into further detail next week as we have a very, very important recruiting weekend coming up where we hope to wrap up some of the commitments early.