Need A Change?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by PK55, Mar 16, 2009.

1. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

Need A Change?

Hey fellas,

I just wanted to throw this idea out to all of you and see what your thoughts were. First off, I want to let you guys know how much I appreciate you and I really enjoy the leagues that we have together. So thank you for participating.

Secondly, over the past few weeks I have rededicated myself to my video game hobby, it's hard because I'm busy, but like many of you I need an outlet like this. The one thing that I have noticed is that while we have some core members that are active we do have other core members that aren't so active for a number of different reasons, work, life, and I've noticed ALOT of multiple league players in our leagues. Not that it's a bad thing, but we are all spread out pretty thin among our leagues and that does have an affect on your activity.

So my question to you is, are we need of a change?

Specificly, Since we already have the new league format in place and many of you have already selected a team, how would you feel about putting that format into place now?

What that means, is that everyone could "turn back the clock" and start over sort of speak. We drop down to (1) league each, take our new team, and try the new format and a have a few months to really work it.

I know that many of you are like myself and you have spent ALOT of time on your dynasty, recruiting, strategy, etc, BUT, if you're like me you've done this kind of thing MULTIPLE times in your offline dynasty's, made the change, and got something new and fresh out the experience.

I believe this kind of change would breath some new life into our league experience. We would each get start over with a new team and then have a more global league experience instead of just being independant leagues like we are now.

Also, I have another idea...For those of you who want more, I have talked to AG and I am proposing running a Coach Career League similiar to the one that the Night Owl's do...

It would be something that is SIM like our leagues now and moves at a fast pace.

Here's some guidelines;
    All dynasty members begin as a one star prestige coach.

The teams available to you depends on your coach prestige.

You can increase your coach prestige by completing your current requirement which will gain you one star.

You can only gain one star per season.

Prestige *
    Available Teams: All 2 star or less non-bcs teams.
    Requirement to advance: Be awarded a bowl game.

Prestige **
    Available Teams: All 3 star or less non-bcs conference teams.
    Requirement to advance: Win a blow game or win your conference.

Prestige ***
    Available Teams: All non-bcs conference teams and all 2 star or less BCS teams.
    Requirement to advance: Finish season in top 25.

Prestige ****
    Available Teams: All non-bcs teams and all 3 star or less BCS teams.
    Requirement to advance: Win your conference and your bowl game.

Prestige *****
    Available Teams: All non-bcs teams and all 4 star or less BCS teams.
    Requirement to advance: Assemble top 5 recruiting class.

Prestige ******
    Available Teams: All

Note: A coach may make a downward move at any time.
    All coaching moves will take place before I advance to the off season.
    Exception: New coaches/members will be added immediately.

Instead of the game summaries that we have with all the stats they would be more like mini post game press conferences. The entire emphasis would be more focused on earning Coach awards and transfering to larger schools as career develops. We could do Coaching Awards, etc...

I think it would be fun and would keep things fresh and give you something to work toward especially as the last monthes of the 09 season.

So what ya think?

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I personally like the layout of our leagues as they stand, but that second idea really sounds awesome to me. I am already in 4 total OD's that move at the 2-game/week pace, so I wouldn't be able to partake, but that is a very fun sounding idea.

3. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I personally like both ideas. Re-focusing the OFFL would help out a lot heading into 2010, I think. I know I'm feeling a little spread out, I might drop one or two teams even if this doesn't happen (if I can figure out which one to drop).

The Coach league sounds like a great idea. If I could be in that plus one OFFL league, I think that would be a good amount for me.

4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I'm down for anything, but i can only hand one league where i stand now

5. I like the idea of switching to the 2010 format, especially with March Madness coming upon us very soon. (for those college basketball fanatics like me)

But I can't say I'm for it because I'm already bonded to the teams I play with. I've been with UCLA for only a couple months now (the longest tenure for any of my teams) and I can't see myself leaving them. And so I doubt if any of the guys that I was with at the start of OFFL1 would want to change after how long they've been there.

Like the idea but change is a hard thing to do.

6. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I am down for whatever but I do like both ideas. I started off pretty rough with Georgia this year and have learned quite a bit about this game these past 4 or 5 games and would love a fresh start. I am probably more excited about playing with Michigan than Georgia right now anyway because it is more my type of football and I look forward to going against Dat and AG. I realize there are a few guys in OFFL1 that have great seasons going and are looking at a title game berth but in all honesty it kind of feels like we have been down this road before, and may go down it again next season, as predicted before the season started.
    I would vote for a move to 2010 setup so everyone can be more active and so we can possibly get the kinks out of the setup before the 2010 game hits.

7. Razcalking1978

To be fair to all of those having a good season, I think the leagues should all finish up their current seasons before closing.

8. Juggernautblitz

In a perfect world I agree but unless we are all on the same pace that would involve a couple of the leagues just waiting around for a few weeks for the others to finish. I am fine with whatever as OFFL is about halfway thru the season but I wouldn't want to do it if I was in a league that would need to wait around for close to a month. I think if it is going to be done it has to be done everybody at once, unless one of the leagues is in the final week or in the bowl week.

9. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I'm up for anything. I really like the 2nd idea there though, I routinely take lesser caliber teams anyway just to make it a challenge to build them up, so that type of thing really stands out to me.

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

My only argument to keep the current league structure and add another league is because of the limited time left before the next game drops -- but I would definitely do what the majority favored on this one. Maybe after more people weigh in we can set up a poll?

I am definitely attached to all the teams I use, but I almost started an Oregon offline dynasty because I am looking forward to being them next year. I could go either way it seems.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Personally, I love the idea. Here's why:

1. Very few of us are "getting it done" so to speak. Maybe half of us post with any regularity, and even fewer post summaries, recruiting threads, and such. I'd like to see more involvement, and fewer teams would give us that, I think. Hard to give any time at all when you're playing in four or five leagues.

2. Most of us have profited big time from our early bloated recruiting successes. We're simply better than we should be. I'm a major culprit here.

3. We've already broken all the records. We are, essentially, all cheese around here. Roll it back. Sim it up. Start busting chops when guys work the AI for trophies.

4. The new release is coming. I'd like to have everything ready, so all we have to discuss are the sliders, recruiting stuff, etc. If we launch the new setup, we can add new members, work out the kinks, and have a stable setup on launch day. No trial and error. No discovering who's a douche and who's not. We will have already been through that.

5. If we have one coach per team, we will notice when guys get out of line. Inflated stats, money plays, etc., will be policed much more effectively. When we have more "invested' in one squad, we will care more about this stuff.

I think PK is on to something here. Those of us who want a second team can play in his setup. We could have an East, West, later expand into the Mid-Majors (OFFSL conferences), and launch PK's idea, and we could do it right now. It's all set up to go. All we would have to do is throw an invite or two across the pond (which is how I choose to refer to the TF guys :D) to fill in the gaps. There are a ton of good guys here.

If it were up to me, I'd launch it yesterday.

AG

12. ReagleBeagle

ReagleBeagle Guest

PK, I like your idea and would also be interested in the coach only league.

13. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

If we switch, here is a rule I propose. A speed limit for OFFENSE-positioned recruits, as follows:

5*: A speed Maximum
    4*: A- speed Maximum
    3*: B+ speed Maximum

This would slow our teams down, but still leave plenty of available recruits. Also, this would prevent anyone from going out and getting a 2* A speed receiver who sucks, but is a burner.

Other rules I propose:
    - NO WR to TE under ANY circumstances.
    - No one with 94 or higher speed as a KR or PR (93 is okay, 94 not)
    - No OFFENSIVE starters at KR or PR (Heisman can be tainted that way)

I think if we hooked those rules into what we have already, we have a foundation for a league that will last until the first patch of NCAA '10 is released -- or for as long as we want to wait before we start "mega-league" in the new game.

QUACK QUACK :D

14. Juggernautblitz

So AG you are on board for implementing both ideas soon?

Sliders - I think 90% of us are happy with where they are.

Recruiting - I think most everyone likes the limits that are in place now. What do we do about season 2 though where the outcomes of season 1 will be heavily influenced by the rating of the team each one of us selected? How about putting the same limits on everyone for season 2 recruiting?

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

One last thing - call it reason 1a:

When the guys don't post anything, I have to work a lot harder to get material on the site. If we posted pics, summaries, and a simple paragraph about the game, here's what it would save me:

1. I load the offline save, and play until I get a few good pics.
    2. I upload those pics to EASportsworld (something you guys should be doing for me).
    3. I save the pics to my system, and edit them for size and whatnot.
    4. I write your press clippings. (mind the emphasis on that one)
    5. I put all that together, and post it.

I have been doing this kind of thing almost since we started, and it's tiresome, especially when the guys I'm doing this for 1 - don't help, and 2 - play in a half-dozen other leagues. (yes, I know five is the cap. It's an emphasis thing.)

Sorry if that sounds a bit snarky, and I'm not referring to everyone, or anyone, for that matter. I'm not at my wits end or frustrated or anything of the sort. I am, however, keenly aware of the fact that many of us take certain things for granted, and seem to think that those things just magically appear.

Some of you guys have stepped up big time. You know who you are, so I won't drop names for fear of leaving someone out. Those who haven't know who they are as well, and I think this idea might get them moving in the right direction, or moving towards the door. I'm not looking to do a hardcore involvement initiative or start kicking people for not posting - not even close to this. This is an appeal. Come hang out with us a bit when you can, and have some fun. Don't just stop in twice a week to play your game.

OK, now I'm done.

AG

16. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

So would we take OFFL I & II and turn those into the East & West conferences? Or are we talking all four leagues ending and having 4 "conferences" with 48 players?

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Oh, and while I am on board, nothing happens without the guys approving it. Just wanted to make sure we all knew it was a discussion, not an announcement.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've been playing with the idea of speed restrictions. I like these. I think they could go in place if no one objects too strenuously. I'd like to find a way to make possession receivers and power backs good recruits again. Seems like we just leave them on the board.

Good stuff,

AG

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I would see East and West happening, with guys being allowed to join PK's league ALSO. But, I would ask PK to only allow those guys who he deems active enough to handle two leagues, meaning he'd likely have to say no to some people. The coaches league could be a bonus for active guys. The Mid-Major League would form as the guys for it come available.

AG

20. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

So we would be looking at something like this?

Two to start:
    - OFFL Eastern Conference/Division/League/whatever
    - OFFL Western

Add as interest develops:
    - OFFL Mid-Major

Then, on the side:
    - PK's Coaching Progression Dynasty
    - KO's OFFL III?

This is sounding better and better to me. I think this will also be a great way for people to give their 2010 preferred team a test run to see if they still want to be them in the next version of the game.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

As for recruiting, we would need a "Year One" plan.

Also, I have been toying with the idea of allowing a few more recruits (3* and under) during the year in anticipation of guys leaving early. Maybe a +3 or something, as long as they're lower rated guys. It would give us a little more flexibility, but wouldn't dilute the pool. Normal rules would still be in place, but with a little forgiveness built in.

Just a thought,

AG

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's likely that ko's league would fold into the current setup, that is, if those guys wanted to, we have the spots, and everyone is cool with it. He could always keep his league going, and we could simply rename it like we're going to do with the others, and keep supporting it here.

I just want involved players, however we get them.

AG

23. Would this switch take out either,
    KO's OFFL III? or PK's OFFSL?

If what we are saying is that OFFL I becomes OFFL East
    & OFFL II becomes OFFL West,
    And PK's OFFSL turns into the Coaching Progression Dynasty.

If that is the scenario for what is being suggested then I have no problem with it and it will provide a nice preview for what next year's game will be like.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Other than the fact the OFFSL is Raz's dynasty, and PK has League II, you've just about got it.

I know the switch would account for all of the players currently in Leagues 1, 2, and the OFFSL. The League 3 guys we don't know are the only ones currently without a spot, though spots are available. We just haven't spoken to those guys. I imagine you or ko could get the word out.

AG

25. Razcalking1978

Currently 5 completely unclaimed spots that would be open for the OFFL West/East set-up, so there's plenty of room for the current OFFL 3 guys if they're interested.