Need some Ps3 Internet speed help

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by gt86, Dec 5, 2009.

1. gt86

gt86 Walk On

Need some Ps3 Internet speed help

Guy's I'm now sure if i'm worrying over nothing or not since i've only had a ps3 for a few months. Anyway I upgrade my internet connection today to the new road runner lighting which upgrades my connection speed from 20 meg down and 2 meg up to 40 meg down and 5 meg up. The new cable they brought out has a built in wired and wireless router. I got the Ps3 hooked up via wifi and it's connected fine but I noticed on on the test connection screen it says the speed is anywhere from 2 meg -7 meg down and 230 k - 2meg up on the Ps3. Yet if I run a speed test on my Pc I get just a tick under 40 down and 5 up and when I run the same speed test via the ps3 internet browser i get 20 down and 5 up. But again under the test connection section under system/ network settings in the Ps3 menu it says what I posted earlier. So I wondering what connection speed am i actually getting on my Ps3 and does the Ps3 report wrong connection speed numbers?

2. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

I had problems with the wiresless connection at times its not the best. I suggest going hardline whenever you can.

3. scarface

scarface Walk On

I too had issues with the wireless and now use a wired connection, which is better for gaming.

4. savaunte

savaunte Oakland Raiders

I agree with scar and gaddy...ditch the wireless and hook it up direct

5. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

i install and troubleshoot for comcast. every house will be different with wireless no matter what anybody says. ur house is unique in that aspect. i would hardline no matter what and i guarantee your speeds will be fine as long as you are getting good speeds with your pc. try going to speedtest.comcast.net and do ur speed test by picking the closest server to where u live. do not type in www. on the website just type exactly as i posted. that should give u a pretty good idea.

6. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

GT, get a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router, works like a charm and the range is about 3,200 sq feet. I use it thru out my home and never disconnects.

7. gt86

gt86 Walk On

That's the router i was using until Road runner came wout with this new modem , so I guess i'm stuck with this one that they brought out because i have to have it for the 40/5 speeds and don't know if the linksys and the wifi that's built in the new cable modem would cause some kind of problem. Going hardwired right now wouldn't be a problem since the ps3 is only 3 ft from the cable modem but if i move the ps3 back to the living room so my son can play th eps3 once he pulls his grades up might be a problem since then it would be 30 ft away then.

I also noticed when I did test the hard wried last night the test connection speeds came up the same as the wireless speeds on the Ps3 again this wasn't from speedtest.net or anything but from the test connection section on the Ps 3 itself

8. scarface

scarface Walk On

GT Normally a wireless connection is slower than a wired connection if you are getting the same slow speeds both ways something else is wrong.
    I know if I go wireless on my PS3 its a bit slower than my wired connection..

BTW My wireless router is like 10 feet from my PS3 so no rnage issues.
    I use a D-link DIR-425 after MANY problems with linksys wireless ones, used to love them but now not os much. this D link has been flawless for a couple years now never dropping a connection.
    I would NOT suggest using a linksys.

9. gt86

gt86 Walk On

I had been using a linksys all this time since i had the Ps3 without any problems. But now like I said my Isp provider came out with new internet speeds up 40 meg down and 5 meg up. To get that service they brought out a new cable modem from SMC

this one here to be exact http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=2&scid=19&pid=1680

It has wifi built in so the router isn't need for a wireless connection anymore.

As for distance on wired I wasn't worried about range I just didn't want to go buy 30 ft of cable and run the cable either through the attic and fish the wire down the walls or run drill holes to the outside and run the cable for a wired connection to the Ps3 in the living room once i put it back in there. Again I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill here because I didn't pay attention to what the speeds were on the Ps3 before and I did this time when i hooked it up via wifi with the new cable modem. I just thought it was a bit odd when I did a connection test under network settings on the Ps3 it gave me such slow speeds and it changed from test to test , but when i went to a speedtest site from the PS3 browser I got completely different.

Here's the difference i'm speaking off

Speedtest run at speedtest.tampabay.rr.com

Pc ( wired connection ) 39,399/4,628 mbps down/up

Ps3 ( wifi ) 23,120/4,285 mbps down/up

Ps3 ( wifi ) Internet Connection test done under settings, network settings in ps3 menu

13.7/1.9 mbps down/up

The difference between the connection test under the ps3 menu and the speedtest under done in the ps3 browser is what i'm concerned about. the 20 mbps and 13.7 mbps .I'm not understanding why those two are different and not the same. I know both will be different than my pc speeds.

10. gt86

gt86 Walk On

I just ran another test an d yes a wired connection is faster but again there's about a 9 mbps difference between what the speedtest shows and what the connection test shows.

Ps3 wired test run at speedtest.tampabay.rr.com

Ps3 wired 39,584/4136 mbps down/up

Conection test run under settings network settings under ps3 menu

ps3 wired connection test 30.4/3.3 mbps down/up

see again theres a difference between the two

11. Kan

Kan Walk On

Honestly, if you are getting around over 10mbps down, it's really not going to matter. The PS3 isn't going to be using all that bandwidth. The main thing you want is a stable connection, which is why everyone is telling you to use a wired connection.