Need to get better on the sticks.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Kaen, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Kaen

Kaen Walk On

I'm know I'm asking my competitors for some help here, but I'll give it a try anyway. :p

I want to get better at playing this game, but I'm not sure how other than to just keep playing and hoping something clicks. Any of you guys know of some tutorials(video or text) out there for both offense and defense? I'm looking for anything from reading defenses, to play calling, to stopping run/pass games, player controlling, etc. Anything that will help me be more deliberate in what I'm doing in game and not so "Oh, I hope this works" every play.

Also, do you guys play online outside of OD's a lot? Pickup games and such or pretty much stick with OD's only?

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

ODs only for me, most ranked games are garbage cheese. Plus I like to play with a team I built.

What do you control on defense?

3. Kaen

Kaen Walk On

DT on the left side. Right side looking at the screen. I usually spend time trying to put pressure on the QB or stop a run play. I don't know if I could control anything off the line without creating giant holes in my defense.

4. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

Me and a couple buddies from another league just started a 3 man dynasty for shits and giggles. If you want in let me know.

5. Kaen

Kaen Walk On

Definitely!

6. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Practice. I used to be really good, but you have to put some time into it. Practice throwing lob balls up to your db's, running against different fronts, reading coverage from top to bottom. ncaastrategies will be your best bet at improving your game.

7. Kaen

Kaen Walk On

When you practice, are you just using the practice function in the OD? I do that and I usually do real well against my defense, which is no slouch, but then I get into a game and I have a hard time getting anything to work consistently. Is there a way to turn up the difficulty in a practice session? And does anyone know if the practice session uses the same slider rule set as the OD it's in?

8. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

For reading defenses...

Head into practice mode and have your offensive plays be random. Set the defense to random in a coverage. Then you can see how the different coverages look to a variety of formations. It's pretty easy to tell what coverage the defense is in because the game doesn't have many tools to disguise coverages.
    Cover 2 - Safeties will be over the top, linebackers will not be manned up.
    Cover 3 - One safety cheats to the middle, one moves down a bit, linebackers are not manned up.
    Cover 1 - Safety shifts down, linebackers are manned up.
    Man blitz - Safeties cheat over a bit to who they're covering, blitzing linebackers are not manned up.
    Zone Blitz - Read for the base coverage, look at who's showing blitz.

Playing defense is mostly a matter of figuring out your opponent's tendencies and being able to adjust... as well as making sure you're avoiding looks that are susceptible to big plays. I usually user my defensive line against users because of the bit of lag that exists in user games... linebacker and safety have a bit more potential (imo) if you can get good at them. If you're playing a user safety who likes to cheat into the box a bit, it makes it very difficult to run the ball and they can still easily get back into coverage. Playing as a linebacker allows you to get to the ball extremely quickly and blow up holes where the play is supposed to. Defensive line allows you to get good penetration/pass rush if you get decent at the timing. On offense, it's mostly a matter of swapping to the receivers when the ball is in the air to make small adjustments so you can try and get in front of defenders / good animations.

Playing online games is good for getting used to who to user, get used to reading defenses, etc... but it's not perfect practice as a lot of the time the people in the lobby games will just run a couple of cheesy plays... it's probably better practice for user games than playing the CPU / practice mod depending on what you're trying to improve. Like Hova mentioned, you don't get to play with your team, which is unfortunate.

9. Kaen

Kaen Walk On

Dang, KillerNuts, nice info. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Very helpful. Now I just need to figure out what my best plays are against said defenses, correct?

Also, how do you guys choose your audibles, assuming you use custom ones?

10. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

My audibles are always set to attack different defensive looks. So i base them out of 3 or 4 simlar formations(same number of wrs, etc.) It's all personal preference with audibles, go into practice and write down what plays work against what defense and go from there

11. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

I don't typically use audibles. It's pretty clownish to call a formation and then audible the play every time.

You need to learn what routes / running plays work against different fronts and coverages. If you expect your opponent to be playing man coverage - learn what plays work against man. If you know they typically play cover 2 or cover 3 in a situation, learn where the weaknesses of the defense are. Also, those coverages create weaknesses in the run game. Certain formations change alignments of the defense, ie: defenses match up differently against twins in trips if they are in zone compared to man.

On defense, learn to use both man and zone. For zone coverages, know why you would use certain coverages to stop certain plays or formations. It is basically like being a defensive coordinator, as you need to have an idea of what your opponent wants to do before the play starts.

Experiment. Learning how different plays match up against formations gives you a better understanding of the game than someone telling you that only one certain combination of routes should be run against a certain defense.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

If I'm try to run against different fronts I do, and I put the defense play select on random. Try and preread the defense, stuff like that.

If I'm working on defense though I'll use two controllers. Control the offense and throw deep balls to myself.

Also, having good football IQ helps too. Most of real football translates to the game so use google.

13. Kaen

Kaen Walk On

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. This will give me plenty to work on for sure.

14. Hova

Cover 3 - One safety cheats to the middle, one moves down a bit, linebackers are not manned up.

I hate that bullshit. Makes that coverage, one of my favs, pretty useless. Never call it anymore.

15. Hova

pace? teams? I may be down if your looking.

16. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom