Never Too Early to Look Ahead

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by HoosierHoo, Feb 26, 2009.

1. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

Never Too Early to Look Ahead

So I was bored and reading through the OFFL boards, and they have a big discussion going as to how they are going to set things up for NCAA 10. Seems like a good time to toss out some ideas here as well.

Here is my thought on how we can do things for next year.

Each player sends a pm to Drifter listing the 12 league owners in rank order of perceived skill. For example, I send Drifter - 1. OM (totally making that up for example purposes, I know he's totally overrated), 2. Blah blah ....12. Bruce (I TOTALLY let you win yesterday).

Drifter will then compile the lists and come out with the "consensus ranking." We then break the list into three groups, #1-4, #5-8, #9-12. The last group gets together and votes on which of the three pre-selected conferences they want to be. Let's say they decide on Big 12 South. Now #12 gets first pick, and selects Texas. #11 takes Oklahoma, etc.

After they have picked their conference, that middle group picks their conference and again picks in reverse order of rank. The "top ranked" group gets the last conference and picks in reverse order. So the #1 seed gets fourth pick in the third conference.

I think doing it this way would lead to some really competitive conference races year in and year out. And hopefully no mismatches where one guy is clearly in trouble in his conference. Now admittedly, that last conference will probably dominate the first conference in early season games, but let's face it, that happens now anyway. And with the four "bullies" beating each other up routinely, it might lead to some spreading of the wealth...

The downside, of course, is that people's feelings could get hurt a bit when they see the rankings. But the great thing about this league is that everyone is really in it to have a good time, and I can't see anyone having an immature little meltdown when they come out #8 and they feel like they should be #6.

Anyway, I think it could work if we implement it right. Thoughts?

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I would be up for it.

The only problem I have is that I think there is a talent gap between the third and fourth guy. I think whoever ends up being number four is getting royally screwed.

Just a thought.

3. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I also like the idea of recruiting restrictions from the get go so that the CPU doesn't become irrelevant like they are now.

I don't have a problem with people recruiting as many 5 stars as they want, but I think limiting the number of players you could cut out of the gate would be helpful.

Also, I like the idea of no 5 or 6 star programs if possible.

I really like the idea of grouping the owners together based on this past game's performance.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Definitely. I think we found some recruiting rules that really work well. Also, I think the departure rules also will aid the CPU a bit.

I'm not sold on the lower ranked teams. I personally like to take teams like Iowa, who would rank somewhere in the middle. I'm not opposed to an Ohio State or something, because it allows for conference dominance to shift (see the fall of tOSU). I think it brings a better dynamic to the league.

5. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

I agree with the recruiting restrictions for sure.

Disagree on the no 5 or 6 star program idea. Other TF leagues have seemingly embraced the "rebuilding" role, so there are opportunities to do that if people are so inclined. I like having more options available to people in this league. Certainly nothing says you can't take a lower prestige team if you want to introduce the challenge yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

6. OMlawdog

Yeah, maybe some balance where each conference there are 4 teams to choose from. One elite, two middle tier and one lower tier.

That would help with recruiting.

Also do we want to swap the conferences around a bit. I like the fact that we should have a lot of things in place for the next league from the beginning.

Is there still talk of a Tradition league for Madden where we have one monster league of tradition owners?

Instead of people playing in two dynasties, they play in one dynasty and one franchise.

That would get me playing Madden again, which I haven't played at all this past year.

7. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

No clue on Madden.

I would definitely like to change up the conferences personally. Quite frankly, as commissioner I can't imagine Drifter objecting too much to ditching the Big Ten and it's yearly scheduling bizareness. (Look, I just invented a word).

I would personally vote to add the SEC and ACC, just to mix things up. Big East would be tougher, but maybe switch from Big 12 North to South? I am still loving the dynasty, but I'm not sure I'd be as thrilled to be playing Arizona State for the 22nd time next April. Change is usually a good thing to keep things lively...

8. OMlawdog

I like the idea of centralizing the teams so that we all have to share in recruits.

I always going to two conferences would be a blast.

SEC/ACC or Big XII/SEC.

It would require 5 USER games, but imagine 5 USER conference games instead of 3. Would guarantee that everyone plays everyone in conference.

I definitely think this should be talked about.

I tell you one thing, I already miss this league and NCAA 2009.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We have to consider pace when we talk about the number of conferences. Two will progress a lot slower than usual in addition to weakening the OOC battles we usually have.

I wouldn't mind switching conferences. I kind of like how we have it set up currently, with how we take the teams that were not chosen in TTI.

10. whatupguy

whatupguy Guest

i agree with many of these ideas. i really have enjoyed this league, and hope that we can keep this together.

i think new conferences would be a good idea, and I think going to conferences that we haven't used would be nice, specifically the ACC/SEC. If we could find a fair split with 3 teams in each division, it would lead to many interesting UvU battles.

I think one of the best things we need to implement if we go with a structure like this is making sure scheduling makes all teams play teams that are MNC busters, if you will. The structure could include everyone obviously playing someone in the opposite conference, but also taking on the best the Big10/Big12/Pac10/BigEast have to offer. This would lead us to the easiest way to ensure a TT2 National Title game.

Of course, in this system it would be interesting to see if there are controversies with division champs. The way things with om and jr have gone, it would be near a sure thing, haha.

One thing I look to is whether as time moves on if EA will up the amount of teams in Online Dynasty. If they have the technology to have madden franchises with 32 teams, we may have support for more teams in the future, which would be epic.

11. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Also, in NCAA 2010 will they be adding more user to an online dynasty.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    If that was a question Khaalis, we haven't heard anything yet.

13. jkhaalis991

Yea it was.

14. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

i hope everyone we have stays in our league for 2010. Dibs on Virginia Tech if we go to the ACC ;-)

15. jkhaalis991

Co-sign the bold. I want to roll with the same members.

16. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

1.like the ranking idea
    2.depending on how the AI works i wouldn't be against even a 1 confrence dynasty(just to get rid of the out of control scores)
    3.sec/acc/big12- i would like exactual confrence champions(championship game) so maybe 2 per division. it would keep people more intrested if they still had a chance to win a CC game if they were out of the MNC hunt early.

17. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

I hope we all return that would be awesome..... personally i dont want them to add more users to the dynasties... i hope it sticks at 12.... thats a good number, i would rather they improve some of the flaws, like the players leaving and add a medical redshirt, along with being able to challenge in games against other users..... just my two cents...