New Coach - AndyVanSlyke

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

New Coach - AndyVanSlyke

Say hello to our new member, who will be joining us as the coach of the WVU Mountaineers.

Good luck in your first season, coach.

AG

2. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

I would just like to make two statements. Andy Van Slyke was a god in baseball and F*CK the Braves. :)

Congrats and best of luck.

3. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

monk - I like your style.

4. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

for the record, I have a Sid Bream autographed picture of "The Slide" hanging in my office. Sorry to send you in a tailspin for o about 18 years

5. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

that damn slide...

only time a sporting event has ever put me in tears. I was in the 8th grade then.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I grew up a Braves fan - way back in the powder blue unis, Dale Murphy & Bob Horner days. I actually met Murphy once when I was a kid. Cool guy. My uncle is a pro scout, so I have met just about that whole generation of players. My uncle used to get me into the practice facility during spring training (in Kissimmee/St. Cloud - he was with the Astros at the time) and I would have all day to talk to the guys, get autographs, etc. It was restricted access, so I was in there with the players families, the coaches, and no one else. It was the absolute coolest thing ever. I hit grounders to Nolan Ryan's kids while he signed a bunch of cards for me. Kirby Puckett gave me a bat he broke in BP. I got a million stories.

I gave everything to my uncle at the end of the day. He's still keeping it all for me. He's got a regular baseball museum in his house. It's pretty safe to say that I always had the coolest spring break stories to tell when I got back to school.

7. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

That is pretty damn cool.

I am a frustrated angry Cubs fan, pay me no attention. :)

But back when it was Braves Pirates.. I was pulling pirates, mostly because of Andy Van Slyke.

I went to the Braves new/newer stadium when they played the Cubs 3 years ago. Cubs lost, of course. But my wife and I had a great time. I REALLY like watching games at that park.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The Braves were my first team, 'cuz I lived in Atlanta until I was six or so. But I've been in Ohio for so long that I've become a Tribe/Cavs/Browns guy at heart. Now try to find a more hopeless fan than that.

9. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

I've been a lifelong Mississippi State fan...that's been pretty hopeless:confused:...not to mention a lifelong New Orleans Saints fan...Up until last year, that's been pretty rough!

10. Goose

Goose Walk On

I've been a lifelong Cleveland fan, so I know how you feel Bulldog.

11. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

I don't know if you care about basketball Bull, but I am a Kentucky fan in basketball. The refs stole the game first time we met last season. They gave kentucky ALL the calls. It was pretty pathetic to be honest.

Just had to get that off my chest to a MSU fan :).

12. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

I'm an all out fan...basketball, baseball, football...
    I was at that game...It was the loudest the Hump has ever been! Crazy atmosphere.

That SEC championship game was great too! Tough fought battle.

Good to hear that about the first game coming from a UK fan.

13. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

That is awesome that you were there. It looked like it was an insane environment. Plus one of your star players missed the game as well. If he plays I don't think we win even with the refs help :).

I went to the UK vs USC game last year. It was pretty crazy at South Carolina, of course UK lost the game. I am noticing a trend, I go to a game = my team loses :HoosierHoo:.

SEC championship game was amazing. I thought for sure we lost the game. I was just proud they kept fighting. We got lucky, but we will take it :).

Well I could talk about basketball all day long and ruin this thread even more. So I will shut up. Best of luck to MSU this year.