New Forum Suggestions

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Keller, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I'm sure tables tops this list but I wanted to make known a few other quirks that irritate me about the new forum. I'm sure there are others so feel free. Shuan, I know you're hard at work, I'm just trying to organize ideas so you can better prioritize.

1. PM/Conversations - I'm convinced that not much will be done about these but they are completely different and I don't like it. Maybe a conversation is a good supplement to the old way, but the old way was better IMO. I can't forward conversations to other people? Annoying.

2. View threads in reverse order. New first just makes more sense to me. I miss it.... a lot.

3. Avatars as thread icons. At first I was like wow that is so cool and looks really sharp and modern. Now I find myself going, WHERETF!? I cannot as easily find threads that have been recently posted in. Before it was essentially black and white - like it is on the main page. But once in a forum, like the locker room, its freaking avatars everywhere and I just miss the old look. It was so much simpler to see which threads had new posts.

4. Chat. I. Want. Chat.

I know I've forgotten half of my ideas already, but they will come back to me.

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I kind of agree on #3. It seemed less cluttered. I'm having a tough time adjusting to the new look and trying to find threads that have new posts. They used to pop a lot more. That is really the only suggestion that I have -- I like the new software!

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    #1 - You can invite people to the conversation, which allows them to view the whole conversation.
    #2 - WTF are you talking about?:) New threads are on top, right?
    #3 - This is part of the software...I can suggest they allow users to turn it off.

--

That is the fun part about this software, the developers listen to suggestions. I'm not the developer, so I'm not hacking around in the code to change major functionality.:)

Thanks for the ideas though.

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think he is talking about new posts showing up first in threads. Right now they don't allow many customizable display features. I wanted to increase the number of threads on my display to 50 and couldn't do so. BTW, you are weird for wanting this.

Chat... I'd be surprised if this makes it back soon. At least an integrated chat. We have baskets of bugs to iron out before we start looking at expanding.

5. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Ahh I get it.

Anyway, I can globally increase threads per forum if you want.

Chat...ugh. At this time anyway.

6. Keller

For #1 - Correct me if I'm wrong but you can only invite new people to the conversation if you were the starter not the recipient.

7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Dunno. They could invite them if you asked.:)

8. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

There is an option you must select to allow others to invite people in. So, when I created the conversation you are in on, I did not tick that box so you were unable to pull new members in. Think of it as when you host an open XBL party chat.

It would be nice if you could later remove people if that same conversation turns into something more confident. Yes, forwarding is nice like to old PM system. But I thinking inviting someone in or just copying and pasting into a new conversation all also options. I'm pretty sure as this thing becomes more of a staple for all, these feature will all be available on XF.

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I think it was a conscious design decision to treat private messages like threads, so I don't know if forwarding is in the works or not.

BTW, the next release is this week for the software.

10. Keller

Awesome. Whats on the docket?

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    They haven't announced...I know some backend improvements, but past that I don't know.

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Tables asappp tell em to find a programmer

13. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Haha, if I had $1 for everytime someone asked me about tables since Saturday, I could buy a damn island.

14. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

i[​IMG]
    It says I have 4,000 messages.

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

and i dont know how to post images properly, apparantly.

I dont know if there is a fix for this or not but I cant see the right side of the window without scrolling. I can I fix this somehow?

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Zoom out on your browser? Increase your resolution?

Anyway, what is the issue about 4,000 posts?

17. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Nice. Google Chrome, 83% FTW!

I'm guessing that message is now post. Than what is message? Will that just show up under alert?

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Message is now post...PM is conversation...they show up under Inbox...alerts are like you will get from me quoting you.

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yes, Chrome > All, FWIW

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Shaun Mason >>>>>> all other tech support people on the planet combined!

You make me feel less stupid than I actually am, and you answer my question. Brilliant!

21. Keller

I take offense to that Cole!

22. Keller

Shaun, something that has been bugging me and I finally am going to mention it to see if you have noticed.

Essentially the background of everything on tradition is black or dark gray or whatever you want to call that color. Looks nice, sure. Since its a dark background, you have to have lighter text in order to be able to see it on the dark background. Most people just use the default of white.

The problem, if you noticed, is when you are typing a basic post like I am now your text appears on your screen like it is black. Its actually white, I just don't know it yet.

Now, what if I were to copy someones post, what then? Well, it would post in the white message reply box like it was white, making it impossible to see it without changing color. Okay so lets make it black. Well now I can see it while I'm editing it but I can't see it when it's posted. Fuuuuuuuuuudddge.

Is it just me or is this annoying anyone else? Shaun, ideas for fixing?

23. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

No weed, no beer during the week, fear of zombies and now this?:) That makes no sense in my humble opinion bruh...:D you could easily just hit the reply tab to quote that user. Easy fix.

Shaun: I forget my question/suggestion now. Keep up the good work:thumbsup:

24. Keller

And what if I'm copying an old post? What if I'm editing a post and would like to copy something in that post then paste it?

It annoys the living hell out of me, guess I'm the only one.

25. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I've had this happen and usually just hit reply to capture the post, then quickly exit so I can paste this elsewhere. If you're doing multiple copies, then just save each to notepad since it forces to plain text. Then when you paste it should use the default font in the XF software.