New Member - CoolHandReb

Discussion in 'New Member Lounge' started by CoolHandReb, Jan 7, 2010.

1. CoolHandReb

CoolHandReb Guest

New Member - CoolHandReb

Name: Robb Cooper
    Gamertag/PSN (please state whether its PS or XBOX): CoolHandReb39206 - PS
    Email: robbcooper3@gmail.com
    AIM: n/a
    Time Zone: Central
    General Availability: After 6 PM weekdays/Anytime on weekend if in town
    Favorite Teams: Ole MIss Rebels; New Orleans Saints
    How did you hear about Tradition Football: My old roomate and tradition football member Troy (OMlawdog).

1. Have you ever played in any online leagues? What kind (NCAA, Madden, Forza, NBA, etc)? Where? I have never played in any online league.

2. How long have you been playing video games? How long have you been playing online?

I have been playing video games since I got my Atari 2600 in 1982 or so. I have been progressing through each evolution of bigger and better game platform since. I had a three or four year lay off from video games while in law school in the late '90s, but the PS2, coupled with NCAA and Madden, brought me out of retirement, and I hit it hard until late 2005. In 2005, OMlawdog got married, and I had to move out of his house (dman women!). We were on our third PS2 and it was his, so I was without a system and kind of just played another buddies XBox from time to time (I hate XBox, PS purist here).
    More time passed with no system, and before I knew it, I had not actively gamed in three years. Again. But all is well now. I got a new PS3 from Santa, and a copy of Madden 10 to go with it. I haven't lost my touch and am slowly getting my finer stick skills back. The game (Madden 10) has changed a little, but I like it.
    As I have not had a system of my own since 2005, you might say that I am late to the online scene. I have not played a game online yet, but my system is set up, and I have a fast connection. Troy (OMlawdog) counseled me to not even waste my time with the yahoos in genenral population online. He told me that this would be my home and that I would like the rules. He was right.

3. What type of player would you say you are?

I am pretty cerebral player. I played football through high school and was coached by man who had just left a DC position at an SEC school. I am a pretty bright guy and soaked up a lot of information from him. We ran some pretty complicated coverages for a high school, and he gave me an appreciation for putting it all together and "seeing the big picture." I played in the secondary but knew everyone's assignment. Same on offense. Started a WR, but was the #3 TB and ememrgency QB. I knew the offense backward and forward.
    I like to play like it is the real thing and try to get in the right defense, call the right play, etc., based on the situation. I do not have the best stick skills, but I do win a lot of games because I understand the who, what, wheres, hows and whys of most of the defenses. I also understand that being a good GM is probably more important than mad stick skills. I am not scred to lose a little up front to better the team in the long run. I run fairly conservative offense. Offense is my weakest side of the ball.
    I am a good sport and do not act like a child when I lose. I am competitive -- i don't like to lose, but it does not ruin my day (I am not a controller thrower type person). I like to talk a little trash and can take it as well as dish it, but I am certainly not like those idiots on Madden Nation. I like playing new people because you never know what you are going to learn from watching how somebody else does it.

4. Our community consists of a more mature bunch and the average age is somewhere around 28-30 years old. How do you feel about any differences or similarities between our population and your age?

28 to 30 is fine with me. I assume everyone else here is like me -- employed and busy during the week. With limited leasure time, I do not want to waste my game time playing online with some 12 year old running nano blitz after nano blitz who quits if I get a big lead. (I have heard horro stories about such kinds from friends).
    I am 36 myself but feel and act much younger. I am not one of those old before his time dudes in his mid-thirties. Those guys have not owned a system since Sega Genesis.

5. Have you read the rules and general gameplay guidelines? Any questions or concerns?
    I have read them and read the rules to OMFL. The pro rules are extremely easy to digest at first glance (salary cap calculation, etc.), but i will catch on to them quick enough. I like the gameplay rules. They eliminate a whole lot things that I have always found frustrating. I have always tried to play confine my play to a certain level of "realism." Scheming and creating match-up problems is one thing, but playing a person who is using Vick to run sideline to sideline in the backfiled before completing a 60 yard bomb is just not fun.

6. Please tell us a little about yourself. We want to get to know you and hope that you will be around for a long time.

I am an attorney by trade. I am an Ole Miss fanatic. I am dating a wonderful girl who I will be proposing to soon. She just got sworn in as a JAG officer in the Mississippi National Guard and will be leaving for 5 and half months of training soon, so me and the two dogs are gonna have some time on our hands. I pretty much watch only live sports on TV, but there are a few shows I watch (Big Lost, It's Always Sunny and ATHF fan). I have a pretty quick wit and am occassionally known to crack a funny or two. Just a guy's guy, sports watchin' dude. I sue doctors and nursing homes mainly. I am always looking for new clients and referrals are welcome.

7. Have you checked out the different leagues here at TF? Have you seen anything that you want to be a part of?

I definitely want to play Madden 10 if possible. I do not own NCAA yet and will not have the spare miney to buy it at least until next month. However, if the only openings are in NCAA, I am not above joining Gamefly and checking it out till I get a copy.

If any commishes have any questions or want to know more, please feel free to email me. Looking forward to getting my game on playas. Later.

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Thank you for filling out your application with so much thought.

Any friend of LawDog is a friend of mine. As long as you aren't half the ass-hole he is, I think you will be fine.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to look around at the Madden Leagues and see if you can't find a spot.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

3. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Great App Reb. This is what TF new member apps "should" look like.

4. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Here is the deal, I can guarantee you that Madden or College football will come first. He has a Girlfriend that bought him a PS3, might as well call it a parting gift now that he has found the Tradition.

Wish he had an XBOX360 so I could whip his ass like I used to.

5. CoolHandReb

CoolHandReb Guest

Yeah, I got a little carried away. Such probing questions, open-ended questions. I have never sat down and ponder "What type of player I am?" I am thinking it is good that I did not respond to that question with a one word answer such as "Crash Bandicoot," "Super Mario Kart.," or [insert RPG game here].

6. CoolHandReb

CoolHandReb Guest

Come on now LawDog. You know I always got stuck with the wonky controller. And you were always using cheat codes--looked like a kid entering old school cheat codes for NES Double Dragon. Up,Up, Down Down, Left, Right, Left, Right -- all of a sudden my o-line has lost the ability to even get in the way of a defender, much less block. I got my eye on you - I do not forget.

7. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Looks like old habits die hard; its good to know he has been perfecting his game genie techniques for well over a decade now, haha.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Robb,

You'll need to actively seek spots in the two Madden leagues we have here (MEGA and OMFL). They should have waiting lists and sign up threads.

9. CoolHandReb

CoolHandReb Guest

I signed up for OMFL. Finally figured out that you have to do that. PMed the Commish a few times before I figured it out. Hope he is not pissed at me.

I found the MEGA forum confusing to navigate and concluded that it must be a premium league or something. I will wander over there, find the sign up sheet again and get signed up forthwith.

Thanks for the heads up!

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    MEGA's forum is a bit different. I'm actually not sure of their status for bringing in new owners at the moment.

Natedawg is the commish of OMFL. I'm sure you didn't piss him off, he's a cool guy. He is on AIM a lot and you can usually catch him there.

11. CoolHandReb

CoolHandReb Guest

I found MEGA's. A little more informal than the OMFL sign up sheet. Posted my request. You gotta some poles in the water to catch fish. I got a pole in both ponds!