New Member: Mbmonk

Discussion in 'New Member Lounge' started by mbmonk, Jul 23, 2010.

1. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

New Member: Mbmonk

Name: Mike Monk
    Gamertag/PSN (please state whether its PS or XBOX): PSN mbmonk
    Email: mbmonk@hotmail.com
    AIM:
    Time Zone: Eastern Standard
    General Availability: Weekdays after 6pm Easter and almost all weekends
    Favorite Teams: Miami Dolphins, Miami Hurricanes, University of Kentucky
    How did you hear about Tradition Football: I saw a post over at Operation Sports forums about online dynasties that mentioned this as a possible place to find some good games and community.

1. Have you ever played in any online leagues? What kind (NCAA, Madden, Forza, NBA, etc)? Where?
    I played in a Madden 11 league over at the NeoGaf forums, but the commish of the league got banned from the message board so the league died off only after 3 weeks into the season.

2. How long have you been playing video games? How long have you been playing online?
    I have been playing games since the Atari 2600 ( I'm old :p ). I have been playing online since Doom for the PC and 14.4 modems. I have always gravitated toward online because I find human opponents much more satisfying to play against than the CPU.

3. What type of player would you say you are?
    I would say I am more of a 'sim' baller. I like it when football video games look and play out like real football games. To me pulling the Nose Tackle 5 yards off the ball and lining him up with the line backers just breaks the illusion that I am playing a football game. I want to play something that looks like what takes place on the field on Saturday or Sunday.

4. Our community consists of a more mature bunch and the average age is somewhere around 28-30 years old. How do you feel about any differences or similarities between our population and your age?
    Besides the fact I am slightly older than the average, not much really. People of the age of 28+ have careers, families, lives, and responsibilities. I LOVE, and I mean LOVE, video games but it has played a reduced role in my life as I have grown older. I am now looking to get more out of the time I do have to play games. Joining a league and community is one of the ways I am attempting to get more out of the time I have available to play.

5. Have you read the rules and general gameplay guidelines? Any questions or concerns?
    EDIT: Nope. Everything seems like common sim football rules.

6. Please tell us a little about yourself. We want to get to know you and hope that you will be around for a long time.
    I am an old married computer programmer. I have been playing football games for years. I am completely in the "2k" camp. I loved all the 2K football games over EA's offerings. But I must admit I am really enjoying NCAA11. But back on topic, I have been playing video game football games my entire life. Ten Yard Fight, NES Play Action Football, Tecmo Bowl, etc. So while I am not that good at the games I love playing them. Other than that I am just a generally jovial person. My favorite humor is sarcasm and I use it frequently :).

7. How active do you plan on becoming with the TF community?
    I think it depends on how I fit in with the community. I am, in general, intriuged by the X's and O's of football. I like to take plays and trying to figure out the reads that the QB should make and break them down. I created two such post for the Backbreaker game. Links below:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21610058&postcount=285
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21792744&postcount=440
    I also like helping people when they are struggling with a certain aspect of their game like passing for example.

8. What do you hope to get out of being a member at TF?
    I think what I want out of TF is to play sim type football with quality people. I think that is what I am after. I have played enough random players online who are about using any glitch, cheese, or exploit to win. I just don't get any enjoyment out of that type of gameplay.

9. Situation: You are participating in a league game when your opponent clearly breaks the league or site rules. What do you do? How do you handle the situation?
    This happened in the Madden 10 league that lasted all of 3 weeks :). What I did was I paused the game and messaged the opponent, asking him why he broke the rules. He replied he thought he was allowed to do that. We both accepted that it happened and we continued the game. He didn't do it anymore and that 1 play didn't change the outcome of the game. So no big deal. If the player keeps doing it after being reminded it's against the rules I will just finish the game and then take it up with the proper person in charge. I don't get to bent out of shape on those type things. I have played so many online cheesers it doesn't phase me mentally.

10. Have you checked out the different leagues here at TF? Have you seen anything that you want to be a part of?
    Yea. There is a "Dad's Life" league for the PS3 I am looking at. Not sure how it will shake out though. I would prefer to play in an SEC or ACC league. But I am just looking for now until I find the right league for me.

I hope that gives you a better idea about me and what I am about. Thanks for your time.

Mike

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

More of a or ARE a sim baller? There is no gray area here. Please clarify.

3. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

EDIT: To simplify. Yes I am a sim baller. Keep reading for a long winded explination :)

I would be glad to. First let me say that 'sim' baller means different things to different people. The definition is so varied, and is so dependent on the audience that I cautiously use the word. Because I never know exactly how a person will take it.

That being said I have read the rules located here:
    http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179

And I am completely on board. For example, in NCAA 11 the QB is literally wrapped up and is going down to the ground and makes a perfect pitch to the RB on the option. That is not 'sim' to me. Sim is you pitch it before you get hit, just like you see it on the field.

I play similar to how the game looks when it's really played in the college or pro level. Having a blitzer come free 10 downs in a row isn't realistic, having him come free 1 out of 10 is. So that is probably the best answer I can give.

In general I play by the rules. If there is a rule that I disagree with I will follow it and then bring it up for debate. But I am a 'go with the flow' type person.

Does that answer your question adequately?

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Application approved.

5. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

Thank you :)