New Member: Strombeo

Discussion in 'New Member Lounge' started by TSO Staff, Jun 27, 2011.

1. TSO Staff

TSO Staff Walk On

Welcome Strombeo,

Please submit an application and tell us a little bit about yourself.

You can find instructions here: http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/new-member-applications-new-members-start-here.1162/

TSO Staff

2. Strombeo

Strombeo Walk On

Name: Owen Strombeck (Strombeo)
    Gamertag/PSN (please state whether its PS or XBOX): Xbox 360 - Strombeo
    AIM/YIM/Skype/ICQ: Skype - Owen.Strombeck
    Time Zone: Central
    General Availability for User vs User games: Weeknights after 9pm CST, Sporadic on weekends (but flexible)
    Favorite Teams: Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Florida, Florida State
    How did you hear about Tradition Football: Found in the forums on the official EA site - mentioned a community of multiple leagues, and people who were dedicated. Sounded like what I am looking for.

1. Have you ever played in any online leagues? What kind (NCAA, Madden, Forza, NBA, etc)? Where?
    I have attempted to, but I do not know very many people personally that have 360's and play football games. Most of my friends have ps3, or are not into sports games. The few I have been in have been Madden 11 and NCAA 11 - but stalled out after a week or two b/c other people not being committed, or quit after they lose - something that really bothers me.

2. How long have you been playing video games? How long have you been playing online?
    I have been playing video games in general since Super Mario Brothers came out (I was 4 yrs old then...). I have been an annual Madden player since the 2006 version, and NCAA since the 2010 version. Most of my online play has been in Madden over the past two years. I have been extremely dissapointed in the sportsmanship of most of the players that I get paired up with in the quick-match play. I have had about 100 games in the last year where the other player quits at the end of the first quarter if they are not winning already.... I am really looking for a group of people to play with that are on the
    same page as I am in that the value of playing the game is in actually playing the game with other people, not just for winning.

3. What type of player would you say you are?
    I would consider myself to be a sim style of player. I seem to always gravitate toward assembling a smash-mouth team that can run it up the gut (probably a product of being a wisconsin fan...) but I do enjoy the hurry-up and spread style offense when it makes sense... I have had really negative experiences playing with others that abuse one play, (usually screens and passes to the flat, as well as nano-blitzes on defense) and I understand how detrimental that is to the game, and I am looking forward to being part of a community of players that are against doing that.

4. Our community consists of a more mature bunch and the average age is somewhere around 28-30 years old. How do you feel about any differences or similarities between our population and your age?
    I am very pleased to hear that is the average age range. That gives me hope of not having to worry about people quiting/cheating/being childish.

5. Have you read the rules and general gameplay guidelines? Any questions or concerns?
    I have - the only thing in the NCAA guidelines I am concerned about is not being able to move players that I am not going to be able to control (on defense) before the snap. I am used to doing this in a couple of situations that I think are realistic and reasonable - First, at times when having a cover -2 (or 3) defense will move the safety on one side about 5 yards closer than normal before the play, and then switch to a linebacker to control during the play. I do this so the safety assists more in taking away the quick slant on3rd downs, or if the slants have been called against me multiple times already in a game. Second, I will at times when a linebacker is going to be in zone coverage, bring him up closer to the line(to try to "fake" a blitz) - then I switch to a Dlineman to control - so that the backer immediately drops away into coverage. I think both of these things are realistic, and I see both college and pro teams doing this in real life, so I just wonder what is the reasoning behind banning this?

One question about Defensive Subs - If in Madden I traded for Clay Matthews - who is an OLB - but a 3-4 style OLB, wouldn't it make sense for me to use him as a DE if my playbook is a 4-3 defense?
    Another quick question about using players like their position - It specifically says that it is wrong to dive towards the LOS with a safety (which I mostly agree with) - but if I had Troy Polamalu on my defense (a player who in real life does just that) - wouldn't that be an exeption? If no, fine, just want to understand if the concept of "sim" (being realitic to real life) would over-rule these guidelines, or if the guidelines over-rule being true to real-life.

6. Please tell us a little about yourself. We want to get to know you and hope that you will be around for a long time.
    Looking for a good community of NCAA and Madden gamers to get involved with. I have wanted to be in great online dynasty/franchise leagues for years now, but had a hard time getting more than 1 or 2 local people together.... I hope this is where I can find a great group of people to play football online with.

7. Fitting into the community is vital to the experience here at TSO. How do you see yourself fitting into our community?
    I hope to be able to contribute to a league - not only through the actual play on the console, but giving highlight suggestions, taking part in the forums and web content as well...

8. What do you hope to get out of being a member at TSO?
    Looking for a good community of NCAA and Madden gamers to get involved with. I have wanted to be in great online dynasty/franchise leagues for years now, but had a hard time getting more than 1 or 2 local people together.... I hope this is where I can find a great group of people to play football online with.

9. Situation: You are participating in a league game when your opponent clearly breaks the league or site rules. What do you do? How do you handle the situation?
    I would first ask the other player if they realize they broke the rule. If it really seems like it was an accident or something, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it keeps happening, or otherwise seems like it was a ploy, then I would write a pm to the league moderator informing them of what happened, and let them handle it as they seem fit...

10. Have you checked out the different leagues here at TSO? Which leagues (if any) are you interested in? What is your preferred league setup?
    The link to the league list is broken (this is the link that I think is broken - "http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2901"). I looked through this page instead - "http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/league-descriptions.2800/" I could not tell which leagues had openings, so I don't know. I am consistently available later in the evening - even very late in the night on occassion for user vs user games.
    I am open to working within the rules of whatever league is willing to accept me, and what team I get to use does not make or break any league for me...
    I would ideally like to participate in both an NCAA Dynasty and a Madden Franchise, but I only see one Madden Dynasty, and it is a premiere league... is this true?

3. Strombeo

Strombeo Walk On

I forgot to mention, I sold my copy of Madden 11 and NCAA 11 a few weeks ago and reserved NCAA 12 and MAdden 12. I am looking to get involved with leagues for these new upcoming versions, not for the "11" versions. I hope this isn't a problem... ?

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

No it's not a problem at all.

On question #5 the premise behind the rule is that the User (you) should only be controlling one player at a time on the field. If you want to move a safety up a couple yards that's fine (every now and then) if your anticipating a short slant, etc on a 3rd & short.

On controlling a LB and moving up to fake a blitz, that falls in the same line...you need to control that player for the play. And once again, it's okay to walk a LB maybe a few steps closer to the LOS or in a gap to mix things up. It should just not be an all day reoccurring thing.

I recommend watching this video fully as it touches on the spirit of the rules you are questioning. I'm going to go ahead and approve your application because you seem to have the handle on the SIM mentality. Welcome to TSO

5. Strombeo

Strombeo Walk On

Thanks. Any help as to where the current list of leagues with openings is?

6. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

7. Strombeo

Strombeo Walk On

Thanks for the help. I am now signed up with the "Boys of Fall" league, and looking forward to it!

• Like Like x 1