New Owner

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

New Owner

Okay, this is more of a "thought" than a rule, but here are 2 ideas I had for encouraging people playing as bad teams.

Idea 1:

Use the draft as a list. The cap for the OMFL Bowl winning team is X. For every team that picked higher than the OMFL Bowl champs, their cap is X+1.

Example: Let's say I win the OMFL Bowl. I pick #32. The Chiefs pick #1 in the draft. My cap for year 2 is 350. The Chiefs cap is 350+31, or 381.

I realize that would be hard to keep up with, so I had another idea:

Idea 2:

Anyone that takes over a team after the trade deadline gets a grace period of one OMFL week to perform trades. During that time all teams have the ability to trade with that team, but ONLY the new owner can initiate trades. No teams that have existing ownership in place can initiate trade talks, but can negotiate once contacted.

Example: Rams just got taken over in Week 11. They have a "trade window" until Week 12 to get some personnel. If they contact the Bucs (me), I can talk to them about what I would be interested in dealing for. However, I cannot in any way talk to them first.

This one would also be hard to keep track of, but would be a little better for guys taking over crappy teams after the trade deadline. We'd have to be on honor system as far as contacting new owners.

Any thoughts on these things? Like I said, just goofy ideas I came up with.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

i hate idea #1, but i love idea #2. I don't have a problem with giving them 2 weeks even. idea #1 i dont think would work, because even if as the chiefs i gave you 60 more points in your cap, it wont help you improve your team at all. Cap is only the problem for stacked teams.

3. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Idea 2 is the ladder

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Hey I'm batting .500 in my ideas. Better than the teams I own/owned! lol

5. natedawg212000

if we can get more input on this, iam ready to announce and let these new guys do their thing.

6. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

I dont agree with idea 2... and idea won doesn't seem to work with me either

7. natedawg212000

whats that mean claven? lol, whats your vote? kinda like cade done. we need your input.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Any reason why you don't like it Cade? I think it would be a good way to get buy in to take over new teams and still be able to put your mark on that team, at least a little bit.

One thing we do need to cover right now, though, is will this cover just newcomers to the league, or anyone changing teams? Cause I would like to attempt to pull off a trade or two to get some players in here. Although looking at the roster, there isn't a lot of guys I want to trade. But if I can't trade it's no harm, no foul.

9. natedawg212000

i think for me, i'd limit it just to new comers.

10. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I am not a big fan of either one, but #2 isn't to bad if you isolate it to new owners. I think that would give new owners more excitement with their teams. One thing that worries me about it though is what if someone comes in and takes a new team, trades like crazy and makes their team worse. May be harder to fill a team like the Rams if they trade all of their young talent for vets. My ADD did not even allow to to get all the way through #1. lol

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Big thing is to make sure that new owners have to adhere to rules of trading. So they could only make 4 trades in a year with that team.

But if we wanted to give capabilities to new owners, we could say that new owners, even if their teams are finished up with trades, can do 2 trades with a max of 3 players per trade.

12. natedawg212000

i am ok with allowing some trading to new owners. we wont allow horrible trades to go through, but it would allow someone like the new chiefs owner to make a move or two.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I agree to #2 for new owners only.

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Yeah, I think #2 for newcomers is good deal. We'd just have to decide on allowing them to trade even if their team's trades for the year are used up.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

If we do this will they be able to initiate trades all the way up to week 17?? We could run into of a scenario of a playoff team being able to aquire new players right before the playoffs. I dont think this would be fair or realistic. I would say put a week 13 or 14 deadline on ALL trades even the ones coming from new owners.

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, here's the chink, Jeremy: NO teams can initiate talks EXCEPT the new owner. So, unless a new owner comes to you specifically and says, "Hey, I want these players off your team. Are they available?", you can't say anything to them.

As stated before, the hard part is monitoring this. Since an owner could easily use IM or PM on this service, it would be hard to track. Maybe if the new owner stated, at most, 3 teams he is interested in aquiring talent from, that would help. But if the rule as I stated it is followed, the only worry you would have would be if a new owner called up someone in your conference, or worse, your division.

17. natedawg212000

thats the problem winuvas, that is a unrealistic goal. there is no way we can tell who went to who with emails, pms, psn messages. i never thought about playoff teams getting players. that may nix this idea for me. thats a huge no no.

18. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oh well. Can't say I didn't try. lol

19. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I like 2 better then 1.

20. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

True, Maybe if you just allow the new owner to trade with teams out of the playoff race after weeks 13 or 14. It's only week 12 right now and theres atleast 14 teams already out of the playoffs. Still plenty teams to trade with. I also think trades need to be voted on by the board members. I don't really think it's fair to give 90 FB or P, K even TE and a 70 something player for a over 90 RB,QB, OL.. etc... We should have all board members review the trade over a 2 to 3 day period and vote on it. Majority rules.

21. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

True that. People out of the playoff race could trade with new owners only. We'd need someone to keep track of that stuff, because TECHNICALLY (it's a long shot but it's there!) I am still in the playoff hunt. At 1-9. I would have to win out (real longshot), have Atlanta lose every game from here out (longshot), have NO lose all but 1 game left (longshot), and have Carolina lose all but 2 of their games(longshot).

22. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

technically, but not realistically. If your realistically out of the playoff hunt then new owners can trade with you.

23. natedawg212000

i think its a good idea in theroy, but i dont know how well it would work. donno really. i guess i am leaning towards not allowing it just because of the hastle it could cause. being in online leagues for a long time, i think after the first season is done, we wont lose as many owners because we have weeded through the handful of really bad ones. from here on out if we lose owners it will be because ppl just had to quit and we will need to weed through a few newbies.

i love the ideas winuvas, keep them coming man. its these fresh ideas that keep us on the top!

also, claven the problem with your idea of voting on trades is we have done this before and it takes a long long time to approve trades and causes confusion. what we do now is i oversee the trades, but all board members keep an eye on them also. if someone sees a trade that shouldnt be allowed then we all have the right to post it here and have it voted on.

24. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I see your point