New Position Change Restrictions: All read and comment

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    New Position Change Restrictions: All read and comment

I've noticed that there have been people recruiting and moving people to other positions on a consistent basis. There are a few rules I am going to place unless someone can give me a good reason not to.

DT Restriction: <80 spd

It looks like there are a bunch of former DEs playing in the middle of the field. They differentiate this positions for a reason. Moving a DE to the middle of the DL shouldn't be a ploy to get more speed on the field. Fuck, this game is fast enough on defense, no need for 80+ speed trucks chasing down ball carriers from behind. DTs are not pass rushers, they are run-stoppers and gap-fillers. The only reason to move a DE inside is because he is good at getting through to a ball carrier and lacks the skills necessary to round a T and get to the QB consistently. There are DTs the game generates that have good spd, but they are rare and we should keep it that way.

FB Restriction: < 6'2'' height, > 240 lb weight

Again, I've seen a lot of teams that are recruiting TEs to play this position. You will never see effective, tall FBs. Run blocking is all about getting under someone and moving them out of the way. There are decent FBs out there to recruit and none of them have the same hands and speed as TEs. The weight restriction should be increased to limit the candidates further. This is not a common position switch in real life and should be even less common in this game.

Next year the restrictions could really tighten up. This will be an attempt to keep quick offensive players elite. We will have to see how the new game plays, but I'm starting to believe that we skewed everything by not being more strict in the beginning. Next year, we will err on the side of conservative to begin with and slowly loosen up the restrictions if we need to.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I know it will be a big shock for most people, but the limits we put in place in the E-League have really worked out well.

3. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Are you talking about how they have to be reviewed. I didn't see any restrictions in the league description thread.

4. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Sounds great, I wouldn't even mind it being a little lover for DT's, like 75. The fastest DT in this years class based on the chart is like a 77 I think. If we want to keep the elite players at DT actual true DT's, I think we could go to 75, but either way sounds great.

5. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

thats sound fine for me......

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Even better. I was going to look at some previous classes to see as well. I know we have had some fast ones before.

7. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I'm good with it.

8. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Recruiting:
    Penalty for violating any of the recruiting rules is 10 hours lost recruiting time per "count" (i.e. going over a limit by 2 players or using 2 promises would result in 20 hours of lost recruiting time). Penalties may (and most often will) be held over until the start of the following season at the commissioner's discretion.

-No over-signing. You may not go over 70 players at any time.
    -No Cuts (we will sim through this step)
    -No talking players out of leaving early (we will sim through this step)
    -No promises may be made to recruits in offseason recruiting

"1-7-70"

Each year every team gets an allowance of:
    1 - 5 star player
    7 - 4 star players (an 8th 4 star may be substituted in exchange of your 1 5 star)
    Any additional recruits must be three star or lower, unless:

Some recruits are open to all (Bonus Recruits), and do not count against your limits. These recruits are:

*Numbers 1, 2, and 3 - "The Celebrity Recruits"
    *Five and four star recruits with rankings of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and so on. Basically, every tenth recruit of the five and four star caliber is fair game and won't count against your 1, but you'll have to compete for them.
    *Rankings will change when the off-season recruits are added, but the regular season Bonus Recruits will stay the same. Consult the list that is be posted in the "Bonus Recruits" thread. This is the official list / last word on who all the Bonus Recruits are.

Example:

If I have 15 seniors, and no one leaves early, I can recruit a total of fifteen guys (be aware that true seniors who do not play in the season will likely receive a redshirt, which will reduce your available scholarships). My potential class numbers look like this:

1 five, 7 fours, 7 three & below

Now, if I get the second ranked recruit (a bonus five star), and also the number 60 recruit (a bonus four star), my class can potentially be this:

2 fives, 8 fours, 5 three & below

Bonus recruits can not push you over 70 total players on your roster. You must remain under the cap at all times (70).

In the offseason the game will add additional recruits to the board. They are all fair game, but you still must keep to the 1-7-70 limits. We will also designate 5 additional bonus recruits in the offseason. It will be #1, 30, 100, 200, and 250, or if the new recruits don't fall into those exact slots, the next highest ranked new recruit. The official list of who the new bonus recruits are will be posted to the boards, so wait until you see that before doing your week 1 offseason recruiting.

9. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I don't like it.. i think we are starting to go overboard on restricting. Shit what good FB? the Best FB i have recruited is the 205 lb guy. I don't use my TE for any other reason than blocking.

DT-I have moved 2 DE with 80+spd to DT. why to gain advantage, because they are built like DT and would do better for me there than at DE. Not that they have even set foot on the field.

I think the restrictions we have in place are good enough. If we have to make changes i would make it where LB's can change to all 3 LB spots..

10. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

NO!............................

11. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

I'm cool with any changes that need to be made. Also looking at Shaun post I like the idea, but I would wait until NCAA 2011 to see if we need to use it.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I've recruited two awesome FBs (Blake Young and John Patrick). Your definition of what is good is probably skewed. FBs aren't going to have A+ speed. My perception of what ratings a FB needs is likely different from yours.

Built like a DT? How can they be built like a DT when they are as fast as a DE? We all know weight doesn't mean crap in this game. And having four pass rushers on your DL is really cheap, IMO.

You likely don't know the difference between OLBs and MLBs, then. If we do anything to those restrictions it will be making them more strict. Too many candidates from Safety and OLB can move to MLB, IMO.

Again, the weight restrictions are there for two reasons. To keep the game playing as it was intended and to protect the value of good recruits at natural positions. I think we probably are doing a good job of protecting the value of a good :5stars:, but I think we should do more to protect the :4star: guys.

Shaun, I still don't see anything for position change restrictions. As for scholarship limits, this year has been the only year I've even thought about a :5star: cap. And that is just because there are three or four guys that seem to grab at least 60-75% of them every year. This isn't realistic. Last year Texas and Florida had the two best recruiting classes in the nation (and probably two of the best in history) and landed 6 and 5 :5stars: recruits, respectively.

As for the other rules Shaun posted, we considered all of that when we created the rule structure we did now. I like the chance of having recruiting classes that vary from year to year, which is what we have now. I'm going to wait until '11 comes out to really think about restructuring anything outside of position change restrictions.

13. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

As an interested observer, I instituted a similar speed cap for DT's in Trifecta before this season started for much the same reasons as Drifter mentioned. People putting 85 speed DE's that are 250lbs at DT should not work consistently, but in this game it works far better than it should.

I like the idea of a height and weight limits for FB's and I'm thinking in the Trifecta of implementing height and weight caps for DT's and adjusting what is used at some other positions currently.

EDIT - Only other comment Drifter I would have is that I might think about bumping the height for the FB's to under 6'4". There are FB's in college football that are above 6'2", Zach Boren at Ohio State for example is 6'3". Just a thought, but I like where you are going.

14. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (n)

Drifter, dont starting fucking with a great thing....... I understand some change is nesscary but that shit posted above, gave me a headache even tryin to read it.... recruiting is the reason i play the damn game, i understand some restriction.... but [​IMG]

1-7-70 get the fuck outta here......

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Haha, relax guys...just posting it because Drifter said he didn't see it.

We were obviously talking different things.

That said, the 1-7-70 rule has really helped keep the CPU competitive and we still get classes that vary (due to the bonus recruits).

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    YEah, but the ones over 6'2'' (and even 6'1'') are rare. Again, this is a translation FROM real life TO the game. I don't think I have seen many tall CPU generate FBs.

And don't worry guys, I like the system we developed. As said earlier, if I changed anything I would cap the five stars at some reasonable number like 5 or 6. I would have to take some data from previous recruiting classes and real life to come up with a realistic number. This is just an attempt to keep two or three schools from signing almost all of the highly rated talent like in previous years (with me being one of those schools).

Again, as stated previously, this wouldn't happen until next year, and that is after I have gathered enough data to be confident about a decision.

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Real life teams with more than 4 5* prospects are VERY, VERY rare.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    On their Roster? Or in a class?

19. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

FB's i only use for blocking and havent switched a guy higher than low 80's it ususally 70's...I don't see the point in uping the fb restrictions...

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Because people are switching better prospects from TEs instead of recruiting actual FBs. How can you not see a problem with that? You just admitted you use a FB. So you are technically gaining an advantage by putting someone who is better at run blocking from a different position...

21. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    In a class

22. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Some data (from Rivals):

Instances of > 2 5* recruits

Column 1
    Year Team #
    2010 USC 5
    2010 Florida 4
    2010 Auburn 3
    2009 USC 4
    2009 LSU 4
    2009 Alabama 4
    2009 Florida 3
    2009 Texas 3
    2008 Ohio State 4
    2008 Florida 4
    2008 Oklahoma 3
    2008 Notre Dame 3
    2008 Alabama 3
    2007 USC 6
    2007 Tennessee 5
    2007 Florida 4
    2006 USC 5
    2006 Florida 4
    2005 USC 4
    2005 FSU 3
    2004 USC 8
    2004 Oklahoma 3
    2004 Miami (FL) 3
    2004 LSU 3
    2003 Florida 5
    2003 Miami (FL) 3
    2002 FSU 6
    2002 Texas 6
    2002 Tennessee 5
    2002 Mississippi State 3
    2002 Virginia 3
    2002 South Carolina 3
    2002 Oklahoma 3
    2002 Ohio State 3

That seems like alot in 8 years, but consider the following:

Over 8 years, the breakdown is
    Column 1
    >= 7 1
    =6 3
    =5 4
    =4 8
    =3 15
    <3 923

So, if my math is right, that is less than 1% of classes > 4 stars.

23. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Plus a decent TE is a dime a dozen, unlike FB. Therefore you need to spend little to no time filling the FB position with an average TE and you have that extra time to spend somewhere else that you would not have if you had to battle a few guys for some of the top FB's. Kinda rambled there but you get the point.

24. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

what are FB's for? run blocking...what seems to be a problem? I don't see the competitve inbalance? I don't really want to waste time trying to sign the crappy 2-3 star guys that are intrested in me...i would rather get a 3 star TE That should have a been a FB as he cant catch, but is a good blocker.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Uncommon, not rare.

You really have to consider the amount of 5stars in real life compared to the game, scale it for 70 man rosters and recruiting limits, add a fun factor, and then consider fairness. So like I said, it would take me a while to figure out something that will work for us.