New Rule Proposal : Team Changes

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

New Rule Proposal : Team Changes

I hear a lot of arguments from Nate and Jeremy and others about wanting stability with teams in relation to trading and draft picks and even position changes.

Well honestly its hipocritical when we have as much team movement as we've had recently. As an example, since the end of Madden 10, Jeremy has been Redskins, Cardinals, Falcons, and now ANOTHER new team.

If we want to make guys "plan ahead" and "build for the future" (arguments that were made when debating the trade rules) then we can't allow team swaps like this.

I want to propse that guys are allowed ONE team change during each version of Madden. We get three seasons in. That means they can be two teams in three seasons. That seems more than fair and will stop this ridiculous merry go round.

Rules committee please vote. I vote yes.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

What you call ridiculous I call enjoyment.

I have left every team I have owned in better shape than when I took them over. As the OMFL rule structure is set-up now, give me one good reason why once a year team swaps hurt our league?

I may have swapped teams, 3-4 times recently but the league was in between games and my ownership of those teams only consisted of an announcement post.

By allowing these swaps , we have been able to put owners into their favorite teams, thats a huge positive in building for the future and planning ahead. Much more,IMO, than an owner swapping teams once a year.

I vote NO to change change the current team swap rule.

3. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I also vote no, sometimes a man just needs to be a new team.

4. Big D

Big D Walk On

Then WHY in the world do we limit trades for guys like me who are going to be the same team for 20 years if I'm in the OMFL. You guys can't stand on the soapbox of "we wan't guys to plan ahead and we want consistency with teams and rosters". That has been used over and over when we talk about trades or position changes.

Why do we have a limit on team swaps then as well? If your two arguments above are true, then we should allow unlimited team swaps if it makes guys happier to move.

Basically I get frustrated when rules are put in place because of my trading. . .the multi-team trades are nearly impossible now, and trades are so severly restricted that its really limiting. I don't understand the difference at all here.

5. Jeremy

I am not in favor on umlimited swaps just like I am not in favor of unlimited trades.

One team swap per year seems like an even medium for me just like trading 6 players per year does.

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

Jeremy and I have just had a long discussion about this. His points (valid ones) were that:
    1) Guys like to move around and have new rosters and new challenges every year.
    2) We shouldn't restrict guys from moving to teams and rosters they like better.
    3) With our trade committee, rosters cannot get destroyed anymore so guys 'hitting and running' isn't an issue.

OK. I am willing to accept that. However, the rules committee has been giving a big middle finger to guys like me who enjoy the OMFL for one main reason. . .and that is the ability to have one of our favorite teams and build them how we want to. I want to change the Jags from a run first offense to an Air it Out system, and turn them into a 4-6 style defense. With the trade limits this board has put in place, you are telling me that it is not an option. I can only gain 4 players via trade per year, MAX. That makes it impossible for me to build my team into anything resembling what I want it too.

Last version, I would not have gotten Brees or Smith and Nate wouldn't have been able to get Brees and other guys who helped make both are experiences really really enjoyable. With the vast restrictions you have put on everybody, those moves could not be made now. Like Jeremy's arguments above I would like to submit:
    1) Guys like to tinker with rosters and have new challenges every year.
    2) We shouldn't restrict guys from making their rosters into one they like better.
    3) With our trade committee, rosters cannot get destroyed anymore so guys 'hitting and running' isn't an issue.

I am very saddened that we punish guys like me who really REALLY enjoy the GMing aspect of this league and who like our current teams and want to be able to mold them into rosters we like to play with. That is next to impossible now, atleast anytime before Season 3 or 4. Yet we say to other guys "hey just switch teams if you don't like your current one". This makes me sad, and it is really really putting a damper on my experience here. I want to wheel and deal, but it's been so severly hampered that I basically cannot make the moves I want to anymore. (n)

7. Jeremy

I dont understand why all this wasnt brought up before we voted on the new rule. You have done a complete 180. I dont know all of a sudden set you off.

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

Because I was trying to be a good soldier and not seem like I was being self-centered about my own needs for enjoyment. However, I guess it was finally time to bring it up. It's just really taking away a big part of my enjoyment.

9. Jeremy

This league would not be what it is today if we allow unlimited trades. It would crumble. I have no doubts about that.

As it would crumble if we allow unlimited ownership swaps.

IMO, we have found the even medium between the two.

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

The difference is we are willing to bend and even break the "1 Team Swap Per Year" rule on mulitple occassions.

If I came to you, as a long long time owner who obviously is not going to leave the league, and asked you to bend the trade limit rule for me would you have the same lieniency you did with Cimmy or Pepperklink or Jeremy?

My point is, if it is fun for you guys to swap around teams a ton, then thats' fine. With our trade committee teams aren't going to be gutted anymore. However that same argument can be applied to trade limits and trading draft picks during the season. Honest to god it is sucking the fun out of it for me when GMing isn't really a big aspecet of this league anymore. . .or atleast not nearly as big as that should be in our league.

11. Jeremy

OK...So lets put in a rule that only allows team swaps once per Madden title.

Are you Ok with the trade rule now?

12. Big D

Big D Walk On

I'll just fade away here. You've heard my piece. I think you guys are being hipocritical, and on a fairly crappy edition of Madden much of my enjoyment would come from GMing my team. The trade rule has gone from
    1) 4 trades per season
    2) 4 trades with no multi team trades
    3) 3 trades per season with 10 items max
    4) 10 items max, only 8 can be players

I guess I don't understand why we keep whittling away at this.

I wont say anything else about it. I'm not even going to bring it up for a vote, because I know how to count votes and they aren't there. But the majority isn't always right. . .and I definately feel that's the case here.

13. Jeremy

You love the Jaguars enough to never swap teams yet your willing to flip their roster in one year.

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, I see this has been a two man forum so far. I would like to throw my hat in the ring though and say my piece with a statement that usually doesn't get said by me (no offense to the person it refers to):

I agree with Dunlap.

And I will preface that with saying that I was one of the main "whiners" (I called it "proponents" at the time) when he pulled off the crazy 4 team deal that got him Brees AND Steve Smith (think it was the same deal anyway). I was the main fighter for limiting trades once I saw that trade go through.

And I got flak for it then. And I thought it was a good idea, personally.

I think we need to revisit our allowance of trades in general. And I'm talking season 2 here folks. NOT now when we're 24 hours away from starting possible.

I would like to propose a trade rule I had when I was thinking of starting my own league. I'll pop it into a separate post.

I know what Dunlap means when he talks about GMing being the fun part of this game. Hell, guys, that was the ONLY reason I played Madden 10 in the OMFL as long as I did, getting trounced week after week. It was thinking about how to get the players I really liked from other teams without giving up players I really liked.

I do agree that team swapping is part of finding "your" team. Some guys like to move to get a change of scenery, and I understand that (this will be my 3rd team in 4 OMFL seasons). I also understand wanting to build a dynasty in one place and having a "legacy" (yes, this IS a video game, but I actually wanted the Chiefs again so I could try to rebuild them and make them a contender, and it probably makes me a dummy lol).

Please just have an open mind when you look at the idea I post. If it's bad, then burn it to oblivion. But I think it would work, especially with our cap system in place being a pretty nice setup.

15. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I think this is getting out of hand. Instead of us working together as a team we are arguning with each other. IMO, I think 2 team swaps per madden title is more than fair. Thats 3 teams you can play with per title. I also feel that our rules of 4 trades per season, up to 8 players per season is more than fair. If we want to adjust the rules to state that you can move 8 players and recieve 8 players then I am willing to do that. We can talk about a rule adjustment to open the trades up a bit more. I am not willing to go to 15 player added and 15 players moved, thats not realisitc. I am not sure why it bothers you who moves to what teams as long as the guy is a dedicated owner and good player.

16. natedawg212000

So are we going with 2 swaps per game?

17. Big D

Big D Walk On

If I am voting what I really feel, which is what everybody keeps telling me to do, then I vote 1 swap per version. This would not count any swaps made during the 'down time' between Madden releases. Guys would get a freebie move(s) during that time in August.

18. Big D

Big D Walk On

Let me clarify. I vote for the above or I vote for unlimited team swaps. Either we have a rule for stabilities sake. . .but there no reason to make a rule just to have a rule. If we feel like team swaps are good for the league then I say we have unlimited team moves and allow guys to go where they want if it keeps them happy.

But I vote for what's quoted officially. If guys don't like that then my other vote would be for unlimited team moves.

19. natedawg212000

I am fine with 1 per version.

20. Big D

Big D Walk On

Just to clarify x2, I would not count any team changes made after the last game of Madden 10 and the first day of FA for Madden 11 as a team change. Guys can swap as much as they want then (and in future years when we are between versions) and it doesn't affect any of the areas that I'm worried about.

21. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I vote one swap per Madden.

22. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Either 1 swap per season. Or two swaps per release.