New Rule?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jvigorous1, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

There were 2 complaints during bowl week about safeties coming up to the box. When in man on man coverage or blitzing the cpu will automatically creep up towards the line of scrimmage. I'm pretty sure everyone is okay with that but what do you think about someone manually moving the safety (and of course not switching to another player) closer to the line of scrimmage? Should this be allowed situationally (ie-obvious run situations) or should this not be allowed at all?

2. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

I think just in run situations

3. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

as long as the user controls that player, I have no problem with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

agree with this

5. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

Clear run situations is fine but doing it every play to me falls under the mixing things up rule.

6. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

Fair enough. Playing a safety at the line every play is not something that teams do.

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I don't like safties in the linebacker box... if its a run situation and you think the other team is going to run the ball why not go into a 'run defense' like a 4-6?... bringing the safety up into the linebacker box is no different than subbing a safety in for a linebacker IMO... couple times a game is cool but allowing that to happen and it opens up a chance for this to be 'bent' during a user game.

I also think users have to back up a CPU player that walks their happy ass into the A gap automatically. I've never had a goalline package stood up with inches to go repeatedly... the worse part about it was that I ran against a 4-4 or 4-3 package!

8. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

some defenses dont have the 4-6 which pisses me off...when i play Max or jvig (who run a lot) my linebackers sucked so bad that the song "no vaseline" came to mind. If i would have brought my saftey into the box it could have eased my pain lol.......hahahahahahahaha

9. Maximus21

I think part of the reason that there is an issue with this is the lack of play-action. If that worked correctly without getting sacked all the time then you would get punished for playing in the box like that.

@bigtubb_ if you're LBs aren't good enough should you really just be able to make up for that with a safety? That is not how football works imo - but that also relates to the play-action issue.

10. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

So the collective thinking on this is that situationally this is okay, but should not be used repeatedly?

11. Boondock3691

Boondock3691 Walk On

i dont get how this is going to be put into action though... if someone comes out in a "running formation" (1 rb 1 fb 2 te etc.) then im forced to go into some other formation? what i did was call a blitz play out of the 34 but when you call blitz plays your safetys will walk up close to the line bc they're manned up... so i basically cant call a blitz out of the 34 because this will always happen.

im just not sure why you should be forced to not call certain plays or formations

12. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Not questioning anyone but what plays do y'all call that the safeties automatically walk up to the line? Safeties will only show their blitz when some hits the 'show blitz' feature from my experience, no other reason.

I would really like to know these plays that the safety automatically walks into the box/LOS or the linebackers 'clog' gaps just for my personal knowledge.

13. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

I'm not sure that was the issue. From what I understand, the issue is about a user manually walking the safety into the box. Which I agree is okay a few times, but should not be abused.

14. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

If you call a blitz play and there is zero coverage then the CPU typically walks the safeties up on D. This happens particularly in non nickel and dime formations.

15. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

i control a safety when i play. the question i have if im in man on the slot WR i can walk up and cover him on the line of scrimmage?

I think if your controlling him you should be at least behind the LB's. if its a coverage audible(like show blitz) or where the formation calls for the safety being up there(4-6) then thats fine because thats the way the play is designed and you did not manually move him

16. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

The CPU will walk towards the line of scrimmage on any plan when the LBs are blitzing and if it's man coverage or when the safeties are blitzing themselves.

17. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

I wish one of us would've saved the video for those plays. From what I remember my defensive lineman blew off your (lower rated) o-lineman's blocks to make the play. The 4th and goal you ran a toss play and my CB went unblocked. Honestly I think my D line just played lights out that game because they couldnt stop USC, FSU or Michigan St on the goal line.

4-6 package is where there is 6 defensive backs correct?
    I would think the 4-4 is the run defense since there are only 3 defensive backs.

Good input

18. Maximus21

46 has same personnel as 4-3, it's just the way they lineup is different. In the 46 usually the SS lines up in the same area as the LBs