New server

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by RynoAid, Oct 7, 2010.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

New server

We are in the process of securing a new server setup... believe it or not, we've already out grown the upgrade we made April. We will be nursing along this setup for the remaining month of October while we move stuff so please be patient... we are moving to a server with 4x memory and 4x bandwidth as our current setup so it should last us for a while.

sorry for all the disruptions, we are working to make TF more stable for future growth, it's just hard to always see the future and what you will need.

thanks again.

2. ThePaw

ThePaw I'm so seasonal it hurts, baby!

Thanks for the update Ryno. Sounds like a good plan and it's nice to see TF growing so rapidly.

3. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Much appreciated! I'm amazed at how much growth there has been just in my short tenure here. Definately a good thing!

By no means is this intended to be a complaint, but rather, just a suggestion. When you are implementing a change that may lead to some forum "down time" in the future, it would be helpful if you could forewarn the various league commissioners with some kind of "blast" message in the commisioner's forum. That way we can prepare and plan any league deadlines accordingly as well as give a "heads up" to our league members. I know some instances of down time are unforeseen or won't even be for extensive periods of time, but some advance notice would be helpful just so that we can prepare our leagues accordingly.

Thanks!

4. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

we didn't know in advance... it was a server crash and were picking up the pieces. We will always let you know if we have advance notice of downtime... this what not the case this week.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Haha, if it was, I would have planned some sleep in there.

I got 2.5 hours of sleep the night before last, and then spent 10+ hours yesterday fixing crap.

6. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

we also plan on having minimal if any downtime related to the transition this month... but like i said, we are nursing the current setup while we transition and there could be unforeseen outages .

7. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Ryno,

May I inquire about what your guys' setup actually is? Is this a machine you have at home or are leasing from some company or what?

I only say that because I work in the field. Depending on your setup you might consider VM's or colo?

8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Nice to see an update.

9. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

+1

10. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    We are currently on a VPS, we are transitioning to a different company that offers a better quality product.

Where do you work Matt?

11. Keller

VPS is just like a VM I'm assuming? I'm not familiar with them. If thats the case, can you now re-allocate processors, ram and disk space on the fly like you can with VM's? Or... maybe thats the difference between the two?

I take it the equipment is leased then from this new company. Care to fill me in on the specs? We have some old servers we are getting rid of, maybe I could be of some help?

I work for a small non-for profit in downtown Columbus. Its a small organization but we do a lot of cool IT stuff with VM's, colo's, dedicated servers, whatever. We don't provide IT services or anything. Like I said, I'm just in that field.

12. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

pretty similar... VMWare is software that allows you to partition out VPS's.. or i guess some people call them VM's.

13. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

this whole thing is like de ja vue lol.

14. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yes, a VPS is created with VMWare.

Rough specs on the new server:
    Dual CPU
    4GB RAM
    40GB HDD

The hard part of using our own server instead of using a provider is power outage and finding a reliable bandwidth provider. We use over 100GB of bandwidth per month right now.

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I imagine so.:)

Except they have better hardware than PIII's right now.:)

16. BlyGilmore

True, but it seems the more powerful computers get the more shit vbulletin tries to do - so it evens out :thumbsup:

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    We won't be using vBulletin much longer.:)

18. BlyGilmore

oh nice. what are you guys jumping to?

(Invision is just as bad IMO ... I've run good sized forums with both software. All considered phpbb is the best option. Just my two cents).

19. shibdib

shibdib In Nacho We Trust

+1 to some version of phpbb

And nice to see the sites growing that fast

20. Keller

Ah, thats about what some of the older machines we have look like. Damn, I was hoping I would be really helpful by donating some stuff.

I take it the majority of the cost comes from bandwidth then, not leasing the VM.

21. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    XenForo

22. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    If you want to donate some machines like that, I personally am interested.

23. Keller

I'm not sure what I'll be able to get my hands on exactly but I know we're virtualizing a lot of servers over the next 6 months so it just depends on what all we virtualize. I know they are out of warranty so the goal is not just to re-purpose them but get them out of here.

We have a couple sitting around right now but I don't think they're very good candidates - they're relatively old. What would they be put to use for?

24. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Sounds good.

Props to shaun for all the work, you better have this man on the payroll! haha

25. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Beats me, but I am always interested in free hardware.:)