New Sliders are ...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

New Sliders are ...

... in effect. Don't take anyone lightly, or you'll get beat.

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

This is going to be the most challenging season I've ever played, as this is clearly the worst team I've ever adopted. I really won't have much room for error each contest, for I'll rarely (if ever) be rated higher than my opponent. While this will be frustrating, I can already tell that it's going to be a shit load of fun. I'll become a better player because of it. No doubt about it.

My "battle" versus Arkansas St. will seem a lot closer than it really was. I "user-controlled" my secondary on two occasions looking for the pick on a 3rd and long, and paid handsomely. Additionally, losing my starting RB early threw my offensive flow off a bit. I ended up throwing the ball a lot (not my game plan going in), until I got into a decent groove with my backup.

Annoyingly enough, Arkansas St. ran down the field (literally) in the last minute using draw plays almost exclusively. This lead to a cheap TD in the final seconds. AG, once they lost the onside kick, I want you to know that a part of me wanted to throw one of two into the endzone. But I took the knee. ;)

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

And this is why we call ourselves sim. Throw that ball, and this set of sliders might run back a pick on ya.

4. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

k...my only comment on the sliders:

-it was a user game, but holy crap the speed was super-fast. totally different feel. did we change that? felt like you couldn't even get control of your little spazzes half the time.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

In user games, sliders will revert to default all-american. It's faster than varsity, but it's not a slider thing. It's an AA thing. I didn't change the speed settings.

6. egofailure

No question. Got greedy in the final minute of the first half and forced a throw into the endzone from just outside the 12. The result? You got it. Should have thrown the ball away and hit the FG. This was the only game all year that I'll be able to get away with that shit.

I wish you could upload more than 5 videos. There was a lot of cool little plays in this game. I knocked their starting QB out of the game in the 2nd quarter and his replacement was quick as hell. Totally changed the game.

Edit: Heard there's a new patch coming out soon. Any chance they fix the shortened replay issue? I had two awesomely-timed PA bombs to my one legitimate WR that were cut short. They would have made for awesome highlights. It's annoying.

7. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

The CPU QB is waaaay too accurate look at what FAU's QB did to my D... The middle of the field was WIDE open almost everytime he went there...

P.S. i still can not run.. I must really suck at it.. i think i'm gonna chg my O to Air Raid

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Blitz much? Play man and give up the crossing routes? I haven't had too many issues ... but I play in the secondary. Do you play on the line? LB?

Running is the only thing I CAN do.

9. egofailure

Bull', you lost to Idaho, at HOME?

While you can put some blame on the new sliders ...

You HAVE to make the FG, man!

10. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Wow...Marshall just freaking went ROBO-QB on me. I had no chance.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I still haven't seen this. I just beat LSU with Vandy in TDL2. I was outmatched all over, and the opposing QB was like 50 percent or something, and just over 200 yards.

I try, but I can't seem to recreate some of these difficulties. Maybe it's because I seem to chew a lot of clock.

12. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

I did a little bit of all that you listed, Blitz, played man, played in the secondary and played LB.. They hit me the hardest with i went Man and when i went cover 3 (i never run cover 2 as they always seem to find that open spot right behind the CB). I end up having to blitz the shit outta them and hope my guys get to the QB.. as you'll notice i had like 9 sacks

13. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

sample - my experience was the exact same.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

9 sacks? I don't think I blitz nine times in a game.

The simple fact is, the CPU makes the right read, almost every time. Sometimes he executes, and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes we affect that, with a blitz or by clogging up a route with the guy we're playing manually. But there's no slider for a CPU read. When you blitz, he's going to see it, and he's going to, more often than not, hit the guy you leave open. I can't affect that read by changing something. I can make the CPU a bad passer, but that's not sim. Even if I could, I wouldn't make him some dummy that stands there and gets hit.

If you get to the QB nine times in a game, that's going to have consequences. Nothing robo about it. Leave that many guys open, and you're going to give up yards. That's how it ought to be.

I get pressure by closing down routes. I send extra guys sometimes, but I rarely send more than five, six if it's 2nd or 3rd and one or two, and I think he's going to run. Most of my sacks are coverage sacks, when I back off coverage on third and long and spread the D-line. QB has nowhere to go = he goes down.

I think we're getting punished for our play selection. Everyone is going to give up yards, but I think some of us are swinging for the fences way too often. I'm not going to make it easier to do that.

15. egofailure

We knew the adjustment period was going to be just that - an adjustment. Things have started off a little rockier than I expected, but we're all going to get better as the season progresses. Guaranteed.

16. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Man, I know. I'm gonna blame on the fact that my kicker is a true freshman and nerves got to him:mad:

actually, I was in a terrible spot to kick a FG from. right hash, really close...I think inside the 5 yd line. I would have rather kicked from the 30. I posted the miss as one of my highlights(n)

17. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Even with the disappointment from an embarrassing loss, this was one of the more exciting games I've ever played against the CPU.

My only comment re: sliders is the pass rush. No time whatsoever to scan the field after a play action pass.

18. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Idaho is a tough team, I had to return a kickoff for a td to win last season.

19. Goose

Goose Walk On

I had a rough go with Idaho last season also.

20. egofailure

I've had success with PA passes out of big formations, releasing only 2-3 receivers. If it's there, I take the shot. If not, I sling it out of bounds.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've been thinking of touching this slider. Straight drop PA passes and shotgun PA passes always seem to let the D in, no matter the settings, but I think we can do something to give us just a tick more time.