New TeamBuilder Rule - Defensive Keys and GamePlans

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Razcalking1978, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

New TeamBuilder Rule - Defensive Keys and GamePlans

Heya folks. I've done a fair bit of reading on Defensive Keys and GamePlans, and I don't think they're something that I want in this dynasty. They're not balanced, they are in no way sim, and anything important they do can be replicated by proper play calling.

As of this week, the following rules are in place:

1. No Defensive Keys at any time. This is when you hold down the Left Trigger and choose Pass, Run Middle, Run Left or Run Right. Don't do it.

2. No Aggressive GamePlans. I'm okay if you want to set something to Conservative to protect the ball late in the game, things like that. But the Aggressive settings cause nothing but animosity, especially in user games. Aggressive GamePlans are not allowed as of this week.

Persons using these in user games will either lose scholarships or be removed from the league depending on the severity of the situation.

2. Jobe111

Jobe111 Guest

Love this idea Raz

3. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I think this is a great move Raz. Read and understood.

4. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    10 - 4 buddy.

5. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

Will do.

How will we know if someone is using an Aggressive Game Plan?

6. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

That one is tough to tell and I think will just require trust that others are following the rules. I'm pretty sure that everything you get from aggressive gameplans can and will happen even with the setting on normal. Aggressive just makes it happen more often.

IE:
    Aggressive stripping - does the very obvious "stripping the ball" animation and forces fumbles and causes facemask penalties, but all 3 of those will happen (less frequently) on normal.
    Aggressive defensive line - You'll see "User jump the snap" on the stat bar, but again, this can be done manually by the user.
    Aggressive holding and impact blocking - You'll see holding and clipping penalties, but these will happen even with in on normal (and depending on the sliders can still happen a LOT even with it on normal).
    Aggressive running - More broken tackles and fumbles.
    Aggressive option defense - Your CPU controlled guys will key on the QB instead of the pitch guy (but this seems like a really bad choice to me).

The biggest problem I see with it is any time you see your opponent's defender stripping the ball, at least in the back of your mind you're going to wonder "is that bastard playing with aggressive stripping?!" Especially when they strip it and you fumble on a crucial possession. Of course, there's no way at all for you to know if it happened because he broke the rules or if it happened just because.

EDIT:
    I think the only way to kind of tell is with the frequency of things. If your opponent forces 4 fumbles and was called for 5 facemask penalties, it's likely that he's breaking the rules, but of course, there's no way for you to know if he set stripping to aggressive or if he just got really, really lucky to force all of those fumbles and really, really unlucky to get called for all of those penalties.

7. Razcalking1978

One easy way to tell is if the other player gets a +Strategy for jumping the snap, causing a fumble, etc - that means it was due to a GamePlan.

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I haven't seen the +strategy for fumbles (but then again I don't set stripping to aggressive). Of course, this only works if your opponent is doing season showdown.

9. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Suits me fine.

10. Mallard Muscle

Mallard Muscle Blue Chip Prospect

I completely agree about the aggressive strategies. The only other thing I would say about this is that we should be able to use the option to play the pass or run in obvious situations.

The two situations I'm thinking of are when you're up preserving a lead on defense you should be able to play the pass, and when you're down trying to get the ball back on defense and your opponent is chewing up the clock running the ball you should be able to play the run.

Maybe we can only make the play the pass/run option legal in the 4th quarter? I think we should definitely be able to play against the pass when the trailing offense is running a no huddle late in the game.

My 2 cents.

11. Razcalking1978

I can see your side of the issue, but I think I'm going to stick with the rules in the original post. The potential abuse of these features and the animosity it would create in user games is not, in my opinion, worth the sliver of strategy they bring to the table.

There are plenty of designated pass protection and run stopping plays that should suffice in those situations.

12. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I haven't played enough to use those key things. Does it make a big difference in stopping the run or pass? I have though seen the devastation that the aggressive defense can create.

13. Razcalking1978

Biggest issue so far is calling a Run Commit while in a passing (Nickel, Dime, Quarter) defense. It stuffs the run while still giving good pass protection, and it's cheezy as hell.