New UF HC

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by GoGators, Dec 12, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

What do you guys think of Will Muschamp getting the job?

Also, I hear Major Applewhite will likely be the OC. I'm not too thrilled about this. Wasn't he just a RB coach at UT?

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I thought Applewhite was the OC for Alabama in '07? Let me grab the link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Applewhite

Yup, OC for Alabama and RB coach at Texas. He's a decent recruiter, so I would be happy if I was UF. He's a spread type OC, but has roots elsewhere serving under Saban, etc.

Muschamp is a good hire. Definitely the most ready HC out there. Good recruiter and high energy guy. I wouldn't put much weight into his record and standings this past year, there was a lot of stuff going on in Austin that built up to that.

3. GoGators

I agree, I'm really excited about the Muschamp hiring. I think he'll be a great coach in the SEC since defenses win championships. Rumors are him and Kirby Smart are really close friends so he's expected to try to steal him from Alabama to take the UF DC role. Also, I think the big thing Muschamp does is he keeps last years defensive recruiting class in tact. With his track record of leading the nation in sacks and sending guys to the NFL, I don't think there's any way Powell, Floyd, or Easley transfer. Plus I think he helps land a solid class this year and going forward.

I did see Applewhite was OC at Bama in `07 for Saban. Makes me wonder if Saban kicked him to the curb, or if he left on his own cause he was Asst HC at Texas I believe. It should be interesting to see what he does with the O and I think it'll be nice having a past QB as OC rather than an offensive line coach like Addazio was. I guess my only gripe is I would of liked to see some one with more of a background in the hurry up offense that's taking over college football, but I'll withhold judgement until the next December.

The best thing.....with UT's record this year, Muschamp and Applewhite don't have a bowl game to prepare for so they can hit the ground running.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    That's for sure.

You sure you guys don't want any other coaches from UT? You can have all you want! ;p

I'm loving the meltdown.

5. GoGators

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, I try to stay clear of any Texas fan websites. Their fan base is ridiculously delirious.

7. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Drift, it looks like Ole Miss landed Floyd Raven. Our defense was horrible last year so we need all the help we can get.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I saw that last week. Sucks, he could have been a real part of our young, stingy defense.