New Year's Resolutions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Happy New Year

I have a bunch of resolutions, most of which involve getting in shape and publishing something of note, but I have a couple of small ones that are relevant to this place. I want to:
    • Take this league premiere, and ...
    • Take as many of you guys with me as possible.
    To that end, I plan to do the opposite of most other leagues. Instead of clinging to the things most leagues do in the first few months, I am going to focus on making this as laid back and fun as possible. We have a solid core group, and some really good new additions, so longevity is a real possibility. Here's how we get there:
    1. We think about dialing back the user games to two + a championship game. We could do this by adding a conference and letting a couple guys move. Fewer things to schedule will make it easier, and it will give some of us a chance to have a better shot at success. The extra conference (and this is all speculation at the moment, and subject to whatever you guys feel strongly about) also would give us a much better shot at a user vs. user title game, which we haven't had yet.
    2. We focus on the easiest way to generate as much content as possible. I have a few ideas. We will not, under any circumstances, turn this league into work.
    3. We post. I don't care if it's your shopping list, or a couple sentences in which you call me a douchebag in a way no one has ever heard before. Post count is seen as activity, and activity is what gets looked at. We're crushing many of the other non-premiere leagues right now. In the second half of the year, I want to remove all doubt about who the most active non-premiere league is. You guys can help by simply doing what you're doing, and maybe posting stuff you find interesting, or that you think the guys might want to talk about. I don't care if it's your kid's favorite movie. Kung Fu Panda, by the way. My daughter can't get enough of it.
    4. We prepare for the eventuality that we might have to kick in $12 to the site for membership. We'll worry about that later.
    5. We talk through issues. If someone has to leave, please get in touch and be willing to stay for a bit until we can find a replacement. This is what JV and Sabo did, and it was a huge help. Also, it's just good for morale, since guys don't think anything is falling apart.
    I look forward to being right here, with the same 12, saying Happy New Year again a year from now. You guys have a good night, and don't get arrested.

AG

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I like the plan. It is nice to see our leadership has a plan for where we are headed, and more importantly how to get there.

3. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I wish I could add to this, but quite simply, I agree with it all. Well, almost. Not sure where I stand on the user game change. I kind of like three. But if the group digs the two, I could be swayed.

Edit: It's midnight. Happy New Year, gentlemen.

4. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

I love em all. However as ego said, Im actually for MORE user games. I dont know if thats because last year I was in a league where every week game was vs a user or whatever, in my opinion its even more fun and exciting to play a user. Takes more skill and preparation IMO. But either/or im OK with, and you can def. count me in as a long time member =]

Happy New Year!

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think more user games is a good idea, but it is the user games we wait on the most. It may just be a matter of pace over contact.

6. egofailure

Funny, because before this thread, I was going to hedge for four user games. The increase wouldn't be worth a slower pace, though, so I'm interested in reading what the group thinks. Any chance we could collectively try and improve the speed in which user games are completed? For whatever reason, we seem to be a high-maintenance group when it comes to establishing game times. ; ) At the very least, keeping 3 + a conference game provides us with some fun battles, makes us earn NC bids, and helps makes it so we're all not in the top 15 at season's end.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I am for moving to 2 games so we can get this thing moving a little quicker. I think we have had a lot of fun this year recruiting against each other with the top 30. I would like to see us branch out to some of the Big 12 or Pac10 teams and have some more battles there.

8. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I like the ideas as well- Just got back from Egypt so I will be more active again very soon on the board.

9. egofailure

Welcome back, TD! Sorry about the CPU ass-whooping I put on your boys. I wanted to keep the score modest, but the turnovers were insane. If I make it to the ACC title game, I hope the EA gods show mercy on me.

I hear what you all are saying about helping the pace, I just get concerned that guys are going to lose some interest if they slip and fall early, and then have to pray for an opponent CPU loss or two. It's hard trying to climb back into the NC race when you see a number of good players win their user games early. When you pop open their schedule to take a peak and winning out looks like a foregone conclusion, it takes away a little bit of the fun. Perhaps if we we at least make it so each team has an early and late user game scheduled?

10. TD351

TD351 Walk On

Thanks! and no worries on the score....only 13pts in the 2nd half (and only 3 in the 4th) is clearly not "running it up"...

11. egofailure

Cool. It really came down to the 3 fumbles ...

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Just curious -

If we did add a conference, which one would you guys want? And who would want to go there?

(We're just talkin' here. I'm still pretty committed to three conferences.)

13. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

My team is probably the worst, so I'd consider moving. I like the PAC-10. But I'm pretty happy at Tennessee.

14. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

Doesn't really matter to me. It's either way. Im sticking with my Seminoles though ... im a dedicated Coach ... unless of course they give me the axe :p

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

Doesn't matter to me, I'm sticking with the Hurricanes.

16. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Just as a side bar to a few of the ideas you guys have going on:

Post count does not equal activity. We will look more into the substance of a league when we want to gauge how active it is. 1000 posts of "OMFG, haz any1 seen that knew movie tangled!?" (like in some other leagues) don't bode well for you. If people have to swim through your forum to find the wholesome information, topics and discussions about your dynasty, it's definitely not a good thing.

Off topic discussions should take place in the locker room or cheap seats. That's why they exist.

Just a tip. :thumbsup:

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Good tip. Maybe we don't need to post our shopping lists. However, anything that helps the guys interact and get to know each other would be considered something of substance, so if Easy wants to post about his occasional cross-dressing on the weekends, that would be substantial.

18. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Easy now! I like to be refereed to as trans-gender!

19. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Talking and chatter is always positive. That why I really like our offseason nights.

20. egofailure

The off-seasons being done over Skype on the Crop may be the single greatest thing about the league. Getting to know eachother as members beyond the keyboard could be huge for our group here.

21. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    If you guys make scheduling user games a priority, the pace doesn't have to suffer. In The Deuce, we usually have 3 user games plus conference championships and even when user games are on the docket, we advance in 24 hours.