News - Week 3

Discussion in 'TFL: League 1 Red' started by Krebstar425, May 12, 2011.

1. Krebstar425

Krebstar425 Thee Mighty DFB

[​IMG]

At the beginning of the season I referred to Napoli as a 'sleeping giant' and others had mentioned them as a possibly sleeper to win the league. Well, after taking over the top spot this week, the sleeper tag cane be removed. They're a definite threat to all those around them and should definitely have a say in the title chase and promotion spots.​

Napoli are currently one of two undefeated sides left in the league, the other being Benefica, but they've also played one match more than Benefica. Two wins and two draws have put the Italians on the top of the table after two weeks, but the standings are still only separated by mere points, so at this point we'll call this a chance for the league to realize their potential, other than a glimpse into the future.​

Napoli are also part of three huge matches near the top of the table this week as they face their fellow Italians, AC Milan. The other two matches are Hamburg v Benefica and Benefica v Istanbul BB. All five of those sides make up the top half of the table, just to give you an idea of how big those matches are going to be.​

A side who are only points away from the top are Fulham who face all Spanish opposition this week as they face Villarreal and Valencia, two teams lower in the standings than they are and the perfect chance for Fulham to pick up points. In preseason, they handled Valencia on numerous occasions, so if they do the same this week they'll be right near the top of the table again.​

The two sides who have the toughest weeks are Benefica and Villarreal. Benefica as earlier mentioned faces two top four teams and Villarreal face Fulham and league leaders Napoli. That is a crude fixture set for the struggling Spanish side, but also the chance for them to turn their season around.​

Also around the league, we see Lyon take on Istanbul BB in a match that pits two owners against each other who have met countless times in league, preseason and friendly action.​

Valencia did a lot of talking last week prior to their 3-3 draw with rival Villarreal, and they're in a comfortable spot (7th) right now in the table but they also have a tough week as they face Fulham and Hamburg, the 6th and 4th place teams. Hopefully the disappointment of the draw against the rivals does not effect them this week.​

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I feel like I need to pick up 6 points this week if I want to keep a good pace for a possible L1 title (although I'd rather draw every game from here on out than lose 1 and win a title) as Benfica and Fulham are within 3 points and have one less game played.

I certainly need to improve my finishing... 20 shots last game and only 1 goal.

3. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

so technically no one in the league so far has beaten me other than timpe...amazing , lol

4. Wick36

I don't mind giving you 2 the week of the 31st. :)

5. Krebstar425

NAPLI GUARANTEES VICTORY OVER VALENCIA?!!

I can see the headlines now. Valencia is just in the thick of it.

6. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

hehe ;] we'll see killer..so far my defense and offense are pretty good at keeping up with other "dominant" teams

7. Wick36

[​IMG]

8. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

9. Wick36

[​IMG]

10. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

[​IMG]

11. Wick36

Ok, with that I'm done...

I mean seriously, wtf is that even supposed to be?

Just an all around poor effort.

12. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Remember last season when for the most part, the league was filled with pleasantries, good wishes and handshakes following games? Those days are gone. Now, the league is filled with venom, bad wishes and sharp words after games and I love it. We all need something to talk about, yes?​

Following their 2-2 draw this week, Valencia and Hamburg exchanged some post game words with each other which included Hamburg claiming they should've "buried" the Spanish side. Valencia didn't think much of that, as they pointed out how they "ripped holes" through the German defense. The main point of contention seems to be Hamburg feeling that they should've won the match, while Valencia feel they more than deserved the draw, especially after leading 2-1 going into the 90th minute.​

What will result from this mess? One hell of a rematch in German in a few weeks, that is what. Also, while it hurt the title chances for Hamburg, their confidence will not be shaken. Valencia on the other hand could use the confidence they're showing to possibly challenge for a promotion spot.​

Those were not the only two sides who exchanged words following a game, as Istanbul BB and AC Milan also put on the gloves for some verbal sparring. Very similar to the previously discussed issue, IBB seemed to think they were the better side and even went on to suggest that a team that is as talented as Milan are should easily dismiss a team like IBB. Milan took offense to this, basically telling IBB that they chose to play in this league.​

At the end, both sides seemed to find middle ground and resolve the small issues, unlike Valencia and Hamburg who after one game seem to have formed a bitter rivalry.​

What did we learn from yesterday? Talk might be cheap, but it's fun and gives the TFL media something to talk about.​

• Like Like x 1
  13. hedache

hedache Walk On

Well just when I didn't think anyone could top our little brawl, that's to Valencia and Hamburg we're not the hedlines (!) of an embarrassing article about our league. I think the commish needs to step in and put an end to this. Being a good commish is not all about updating stats every second, it's also about managing the teams under your armpits (is this correct? me no good english, sorry ;) ).

PS: I told you this was coming Huskie :)

14. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

Listen....he scored 90th minute...i was leading 2-1 the whole match....i should have won

15. Wick36

*sigh*
    [​IMG]

16. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

This Istanbul BB/Benfica match is going to turn out to be instrumental in who goes to the Champions League and who goes to the Europa League. A point should see me through, and Istanbul needs a win to get to the Champions League. I may have to play a bit more defensive in this one to hopefully insure a point.

17. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

If you ask Fulham, they'll tell you it's where they should've been since the beginning of the season. Sitting two points clear at the top, and it's where they should finish after this week. The only team that can jump ahead of them at this point is AC Milan and to do so, they'll have to not only win, but win by a margin of eight goals. So, the top spot should be Fulham's at weeks end.​

A large reason for that is Bobby Zamora and his five goals, which is the best in the league. Five goals in six games is pretty good and while it may seem obvious, the key to stopping Fulham is stopping Zamora and Dempsey up front.​

Fulham are also one of the sides who will represent League One in the TFL Champions League, the others are Hamburg, Benefica, Napoli and AC Milan. Last year, League One side Everton reached the final so it'll be interesting to see if one of these sides can do the same.​

A team who started out a bit slow but now look to be a serious promotion challenger is the side who once played in the Premier League, AC Milan. Three points off the top of the table with a game in hand is a nice place to be sitting. They do face a stiff test next week in the form of 4th place Benefica, while their other match puts them up against French side Lyon.​

18. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

@RynoAid

playin well now I see!

19. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

we're not looking behind or forward... just at week 7-8.

20. KnightNoles

ummm, fill me in?

21. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

on what?

22. KnightNoles

week 7-8

23. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

just focused on my next games... playing like im 0-0.

24. Wick36

he means matchday 7/8

25. KnightNoles

ahhh ohk, now it makes more sense