News - Week 3

Discussion in 'TFL: League 1 Red' started by Krebstar425, May 29, 2011.

1. Krebstar425

Krebstar425 Thee Mighty DFB

[​IMG]

Hello again, and sorry for the absence. I was out digging up the most dirt I could find on all the teams and managers in this fine league and I came back with nothing. Well, there was dirt, but not football related.​

First, the week has been started without me, so let's take a look at the rough table layout with just points updated from the games that have been played. Yes, I can do math.​

Napoli - 23
    Fulham - 19
    AC Milan - 18
    Hamburg - 13
    Istanbul BB - 13
    Benefica - 10
    Olympique Lyonnais - 8
    Valencia - 5
    Liverpool - 3
    Villarreal - 3

Napoli were able to jump back to the top of the table after playing both of their games this week and picking up two wins. This means Fulham will need a win and a draw to go level with them on points. Will do do that? My prediction is yes, as I expect them to pick up six points in their two games with Liverpool, which will put them back on top of the table. Sorry Reds, but the squad from London are firing on all cylinders.

Going back to another Italian squad, AC Milan are the only current L1 side that were relegated from the PL. At the beginning of the season it didn't look to be certain that they could navigate their way back to the top flight, but it seems now that it just might be their destiny to return. So far this week they drew Benefica so it'll be interesting to see if they can get a win in the return leg of the double header. If so, they'll pad their lead in the top three even further.

Now onto something a bit more sad, those squads that seem to now face for certain that they will not be gaining promotion. It's not easy to say, but Lyon, Valencia, Liverpool and Villarreal all look to be staying in L1 as they've failed to get their campaigns going. Could one of them do it? Yes. Is it likely? No. So for some it could be onto the role of spoiler and also a fight for pride to finish as far away from the bottom as possible.

Ending this week, it's time to discuss Istanbul BB. Everyone's favorite underdog are proving themselves a force to be reckoned with. Is it out of the question they could sneak into third place? Not at all. Am I about to predict it? Not quite yet. With a defensive brand of football that is never easy to break down, they're always a tough match. However, they're showing they're far more than a test for the contenders, they themselves are a contender.

More in a few days as this week gets rolling. Apologies again for the long break.

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

good read and the tags didn't work... if you didn't know, you can't copy and paste tags

3. Krebstar425

Yeah, after I did that I recalled that so they're just gone for now.

4. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Nice work.

Ibrahimovic has the funniest looking face.

5. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

can tell you that valencia has a chance to win europa cup though..would make me smile a bit :I

6. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

The first win of the season always feels good. Grabbing two in one week after previously only getting three points from three draws? Even better. That is what Villarreal felt tihs week after winning their double header series with Olympique Lyonnais, two wins to none. It's a huge six points for the Spanish side that moves them from the bottom of the table into 7th place, jumping over Lyon in the process. A goal in each game for Rossi definitely helped and after those two it has put his total for the season to seven goals in ten games. Not too bad at all.​

Perhaps Villarreal took exception to a certain League One reporter saying their season was over and they stood no chance at promotion. Not sure who that guy was, but he clearly is a fool.​

Speaking of foolish, Lyon have now lost four league games in a row, six games in a row in total counting the Europa League. They're possession and chance creating have proved to be meaningless without proper finishing and the squad seems to be struggling no matter what formation they try and use. It'll be interesting to see if they can grab a few more wins this year and finish near the middle of the table as picked by several.​

7. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

nice work kreb i know this one hurt :)

8. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Damn, didn't realize Milan was doing so well sitting 8 points clear for promotion. Looks like it will be a short lived stay in Legue 1. What's up with pre-season favorites Hamburg, Istanbull and Benfica??

9. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Sick content Krebs. Very cool

10. Krebstar425

@elprez98 is letting me down. ;) Perhaps I put too much pressure on him. I'm sad to see the top three pulling away, but there is still a chance for someone else to sneak in there.

11. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

Lost my form somewhere around that Valencia matchup. Its only mid-season, still plenty of time to make a run.

12. Krebstar425

Please do. I may or may not have a substantial amount of money on Hamburg.

13. hedache

hedache Walk On

Errr, when was IStanbul ever a pre-season favorite? This is not Galatasaray you know, although I'm doing better with the lower team. I don't think any of us can ever catch the top 3 at this point. It would require more than a miracle. Promotion is pretty much decided. I must say I'm surprised that I'm sitting where I am at this point of the season. I think it's more others' failure than my success though.

14. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Look at you, you always play very well. Give yourself some credit for once. :)

15. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

@Krebstar425

With this unbeaten run, Villareal has almost twice as many points as Valencia. Valencia guaranteed a last place finish for his rival!

16. Krebstar425

I'll stoke the fire soon. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

nice work but im actually only a point ahead of valencia with a game in hand against istanbul ;)

18. hedache

hedache Walk On

Which means he has 3 points in his pocket. Count that 4 points ahead.

19. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

no mate ur mind games are not gonna work haha im expecting u to beat me :p

20. Krebstar425

Stop replying to this thread! There is a new one! :D

21. hedache

hedache Walk On

No no no, you are going to beat me :p After all it's just a 3* team with ratings that are no where near your guys. With the confidence boost from unbeaten streak and 6-0 victory, we may as well not play this one.

22. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

we will see mate im gonna be on tonight so we can play if you want otherwise any other night is good mate

23. hedache

hedache Walk On

I think I'm going to soccer from 7pm to 9pm EST. If you're still up, we can play right when I get back. I'll look for you on XBL and also post on the forum that I'm home when I get in.

24. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

cool mate no rush at all