News - Week 6

Discussion in 'TFL: League 1 Red' started by Krebstar425, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Krebstar425

Krebstar425 Thee Mighty DFB

[​IMG]

Will the real Benfica please stand up and show yourself. Is it the club that was picked by several to gain promotion to the Premier League? How about the side who would at least be in the mix with the top three all season? Or, how about the side that gets absolutely hammered by Villarreal, 6-0. I'm not going to guess which is the real one, although I'm sure it's not the last mentioned.​

Benfica are a perfect example of the challenges all teams in League One have faced this year. Despite what those in the PL think, it's a tough league. Virtually all games are a contest and teams like Benfica who win two and then lose heavily are not rare. There is parody and there are unexpected turns so it's best to move onto the next week each time.​

Do Benfica stand a chance at promotion? That is hard to say. Very soon I'll take an updated look at the table and see if anyone has a chance to catch the top three. I'll also be predicting where everyone will finish. That is right, I make predictions now when it's far safer. Call me a coward, but I call myself lazy and afraid to face the wrath of teams early in the season when I pick them to finish near the bottom.​

Speaking again of that 6-0 game, how about Villarreal? El Submarino Amarillo is floating beneath the surface of the league and is striking unprepared opponents. Remember, this was a side picked by their rivals, Valencia, to finish at the bottom of the league. No, not near the bottom, the bottom. However, Valencia are now the team in danger of floating to the bottom of the league, only to be seen a few times a week by a curious opponent. Valencia, what say you?​

2. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

League One standings as of this afternoon.​

1. Napoli - 27
    2. Milan - 24
    3. Fulham - 20
    4. Benfica - 16
    5. Hamburg - 16
    6. Istanbul BB - 13
    7. Villarreal - 12
    8. Valencia - 11
    9. Lyon - 8
    10. Liverpool - 3

So, we have two Italian sides taking the top two spots and I'm confident in saying that one of them will be crowned champion of the league. Now, before you say that doesn't mean anything, you're wrong. Just promotion doesn't count, there is a title at stake. We could see the biggest match of the season in two weeks on June 24th when Napoli and Milan face off once more, possibly to determine the champion. In their last meeting, Milan came out on top 3-2. The Premier League tested side have started out slow, but are now on the verge of claiming the top spot in the league. Who will win the league? See what I think below.

------​

These are my predictions for the final standings of League One in three weeks.​

1. AC Milan
    Milan will win the rematch against Napoli and be crowned League One champions. From there, they'll move back to the Premier League and with their renewed form, they just might stay there.​

2. Napoli
    The newcomer to TFL have held onto the top spot in the table often this year, but the surging AC Milan will eventually pass them. However, Napoli are safely in the top three and will test themselves next year in the Premier League.​

3. Fulham
    It's not the spot they wanted, but it's close enough. Fulham looked to be headed to a League One title and a Premier League spot. One of those will do just fine and they'll be happy next year where they're playing.​

4. Hamburg
    They've been my pick for at least promotion all season, but it looks like next year is more of a possibility now for the Germans. There is still time for them to mount a challenge for 3rd, but that also means Fulham slipping up.​

5. Istanbul BB
    Are you surprised? This side has one of the best defenses in the league and force you to play at their pace. They may not return next year, but they've proved a point that talent isn't everything when it comes to a squad.​

6. Benfica
    They were supposed to be promoted. They were supposed to fight for 3rd until the end of the season. Milkshakes melt, things change. Some poor form at the wrong time will hurt this side.​

7. Valencia
    Yes, I think Valencia will beat their rival Villarreal, but only just. Would they have liked to finish higher? Yes, but finishing above their rival will be good enough for this season as they look to build towards next year.​

8. Villarreal
    They've made a great run, but it might be too late to finish higher than this spot. One thing is for sure, if they keep their form up, they could be a force in the league next year.​

9. Olympique Lyonnais
    Poor finishing have hurt this side who seemed like they had a shot at a mid table finish and the only thing saving them from the bottom is Liverpool's slow start.​

10. Liverpool
    After being under a new owner for the first year, this side haven't done as well as they could. However, as the season progresses they're showing real signs of life.

3. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Nice write up as always Kreb.

Right now I have 2 points on Milan and Fulham has 2 points on me. I have a feeling that's how the season will probably end as well.

4. Krebstar425

I'm hoping you mean two games, otherwise my math is horrible.

5. Wick36

Well, I'm assuming that they win the games that are currently unplayed.

6. Krebstar425

Hmm. Now I'm just confused and feeling as if I messed up the current standings.

7. Wick36

I think they're correct with the games that have been played, I'm just assuming that Noles is going to win the 3 games that he still needs to play.

8. Krebstar425

Okay, gotcha. They should be correct as of right now. I took the current table on League Republic and added in results from this week's thread. So it should be spot on.

9. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

yeah nice work kreb :) i dont think valencia have a hope in hell of finishing above me just saying :D

but seriously if i can win a few more games i will be a happy man

10. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Nice work as always Kreb..

Hell of a job turning around your season @GovernedSpy. Looks like you've figured out Rossi and Nilmar. Hopefully you can keep it going.

@RynoAid

What the hell man?? Has the game slowed down or what.. Great job after a slow start. I have always thought you were a very good player but was just a bit unlucky at times. Glad to see that you kept persevering and really improved at the game. Hopefully you can keep this streak going so you get back into the PL next season. I have used Milan a couple of times online lately and I love them but was just wondering what formation you roll with??

@hedache

Don't be surprised if this guy folds like he did last year.. Istanbull has peaked and will be very fortunate to hold off Valencia and Villareal :D

@KillerNuts
    @KnightNoles

See you boys next season ;)

11. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

thanks AJ hoping to keep it going and see what happens really

12. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

big week, Milan and Fulham duel.

Napoli - Fulham: Napoli W 2nd game = tied
    Fulham - Milan: Ful W, 2nd game = this week

Napoli - Milan: ?

13. Wick36

Hopefully you guys tie or Ryno wins. Probably the best chance for the remainder of the season for you to drop one.

14. Krebstar425

Hey, he still has to play me. Oh fuck, nevermind. :oops:

15. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

Villareal go 4 points clear of Valencia :D

16. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

^dick xD get on, i wanna win, no more mR. TIE GUY

17. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

look forward to week 7 update :)

18. Krebstar425

Soon. When there are a slew of makeup games, I just won't do any, as I don't want to sit and think about hypotheticals and what nots.

19. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On