Next time I'm running it up.....

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by MRamirez, Aug 21, 2009.

1. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Next time I'm running it up.....

Up big in the 2nd half..... Decided to be cool and not run it up......

Opponent decides to run hurry up with 6 minutes in the 3rd and then the lobs come out....... To me that is not football......

You run hurry up in the video game it's not like running it in real life it just does not take off any time.

I will run it up from now on... You try and be cool and your opponent stacks the box because they know your not trying to run it up..... I will no longer do that again.

Not a cool way to lose!

You run hurry up in this video game and the players line up within 2 seconds not like real life and I thought that was the point. If the point is just to win the game then I know where to take my game.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    dem fighting words...what gwon here.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    how y'all both lose?? da hell???

hmm nevermind...figured it out...

4. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

I guess I'm just mad I lost a game I should not have lost.....

I do think something should be done about running the hurry up. It just does not mirror a real game.

I guess going forward I just have to continue to score.

I made one bad play all game and lost.....

I'm up 24-3 going into the 4th quarter.....

Very bitter taste in my mouth...

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    24-3...hah yeah i woulda continued to pound it until I felt safe I don't have to anymore...

I really not sure about the hurry up...I know in fact in NCAA it's different...you get 1st's...the clock doesn't run until the ball is placed by the refs...not like NFL when it continues to run.

6. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Maybe restrict the hurry up to the last 3 minutes of the half...

I just hate that I was trying to show some sportsmanship and was burned.

7. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

You throw a 5 yard out get tackled and hit the hurry up they line up like in 2 seconds..... In real life you would be looking at 15-20 seconds.....

Didn't Ryno restrict the use of the hurry up?

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    hmm honestly not sure....

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I sent my response to Fosh and Ryno

I'll abide by the rules of the forum and not flame you.

10. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Flame away......

You had no regard when it came to the gameplay.

Hurry up and lob it....

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

you personally get to say anything you want to anybody and not get any heat over it. That doesn't apply to me so i'll abide by the forum rules.

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

*NOTE - Ryno (or anybody else) please do not close this thread. Needed to get to sleep after our game since I've got an early appointment but being called out as a cheeser has ended up in me not being able to get to sleep.

I really, really do not want this to prove to be a waste of time. Even if it's (hopefully) about 10 minutes of typing.

I'm just going to try and civilly point out some of the flaws in your argument here Mike.

You can't have it both Ways mike. Here you are arguing that you had such an expansive lead that I should not even be trying to get back in the game... Yet you have a problem with me going to the no huddle in the third quarter. Which is it? If the lead was so big that I shouldn't be trying anymore, how would me going to the no huddle possibly hurt you?

I do not know exactly when I started going to the no huddle but suffice to say that 1) I did not use it all game 2) i never used it till I was down 24-3 and 3) I never used it more than three plays in a row. In fact, my game plan was to establish the run early in the second half, score a touchdown on a long drive, then at 24-10 hope you'd make a mistake. I think mistake #1 you are making here is thinking that 24-3 is such a huge lead. It's a very, very nice lead dude. Congratulations on getting that lead. In fact, i was already thinking in my head what I was going to say when Juggs inevitably emailed me the following day with a 'what the hell happened there" after I lost by 40 points again. My response - "sorry, I got nothing" - was already planned. But it's simply not a big enough lead for you to stop playing offense and expect me to keel over for you.

There's nothing wrong with the hurry up. You need to stop panicking. You threw an interception late in the game that was very bad, then didn't play safeties deep despite the fact that I had no timeouts remaining with time winding down. YOU lost yourself this game. No way around that. let's point out something here. the game winning play was a 71-yarder. Which means that even after three plays and 40 seconds off the clock i was still nowhere near FG range. you just panicked. Game was still 100% in your control. if you play Man 2 over with 30 seocnds left and I (worst case for you) hit a 20-yarder to the 50.... with no timeouts I could then get one more pass off (again, worst case I'm at your 30... but then there's no way I have enough time to line up for a field goal. you 100% panicked. You need to keep thinking instead of panicking. The game was totally in your control if you make the right decisions.

Also... 24-3 going into the fourth quarter with me driving on your 10 yard line (10 yd TD pass on the first play of the 4th quarter) is again... NOT something where you should feel that the win should be handed to you. I reserve my right to keep trying.

And you made several bad plays. The pick was just the worst of them. But not keeping safeties deep when i have no timeouts and less than 30 seconds would have to be a close second.

I will get back to this later because you make a good point. And by "pound it" he means continue to go his hardest... Not necessarily run it.

I hate that I was trying to show some sportsmanship and was burned... but then subsequently went against forum rules and called me out publicly? so as long as sportsmanship works for Mr. Ramirez and he gets his wins he'll give this crazy, new hip thing "sportsmanship" a shot... Since when is "sportsmanship" expecting me to give up when down by 3 scores? That's not sportsmanship that's just bad game planning. You see... "Not running up the score" is something that only you can do or not do. It's not a team effort Mike. I don't hold your hand the entire second half and give you the win just because you have a nice lead. That is not how it works.

The way it works is like what MoGriff did to me just last week or whatever. At no point did he take his foot off my throat. Not even once. Once he got to a lead that he knew was comfortable (try about 40 points) he then made an effort to keep the score down. The only "team" effort in that was that after the game I thanked him for doing that. And yes, at that point I had pretty much given up. the losing team has to keep trying. I tried to stop his run since I knew he was gonna try and run the ball. Every team does that. He had to pass it a few times to convert 3rd downs or whatever but he started "showing sportsmanship" once he had a legitimately unassailable lead. THAT is how you show sportsmanship.

The hurry up is not the problem. With 1:10 remaining in the game I got the ball at the 9 yard line. We completed three passes, hurrying up after both of them since i did not have timeouts... Including getting a first down where the clock stops momentarily (per NCAA Rules). I got three plays off in about 40 seconds (so 30 seconds remained as we did hurry up again, and lined up on for the game-winning pass). A few seconds more ticked down as i read the D, then I scored the touchdown on the fourth play of the drive and there were 13 seconds remaining in the game. It was a four play drive that took 57 seconds. That's a fact. And the other fact is, with me on your 30 yard line and no timeouts, there's absolutely no way I win the game if you keep your wits about you and your safeties deep.

Another thing is you acting like I'm a cheeser because I threw a long pass to win the game. You seem to think that lobs are lame now (as evidenced by your message to me after the game) even though lobs to Ham and Purcell (against any defense including deep zones) was a huge staple of your game in 2009. In the game summary I posted you can see the game-winning pass. Hardly a lob. And earlier I did throw a lob... In a perfect lob situation which is dictated by the defensive playcalling. The way that you can tell it was a reasonable (sim) time to throw a lob is the fact that Green was BEHIND everybody on your defense on the 46-yard touchdown pass.

You do several things that I think are cheesy but in the end I would never bring them up because I have a fun time competing against you and the END RESULT is usually a very realistic game. and I wouldn't have brought them up if you kicked my ass by 50 points today, because I can comport myself after a loss.

13. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

this is straight bullshit.... just wanted to clarify....

I've probably had more conversations with Mike than anybody in the league about this type of stuff. Both of you take this shit WAY to seriously...

14. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

As an outsider....that lead is not big enough to sit on for the rest of the game.

15. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

I have played Helli more than anyone here, and I definitely know him better than anyone in the league. And I can say, without question, he would never intentionally try to circumvent the rules. I am sure he felt he needed to run the hurry up to get back in the game, not to screw Ramirez over.

I am hoping this can be settled by both sides and everyone can virtual shake hands and be cool. I don't think anyone had any malicious intent and alot of these posts were made out of frustration more than anything else.

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I see both sides.......when I played Mike this year I never let go of the gas until about 3-4 mins left in the 4th with about a 30 point lead. I know he is good enough to come back. I would think the same of Helli.

Also when Helli scores to make it 24-10....it is now a game again...get your head in the game.

Running hurry up.......I dont know. I personally don't love it and reserve it late in the halves. I am not sure what is the rule....he was down by 21 in the 3rd and started using hurry up......why might I ask?

Anyway......i understand both sides.........but what can you do??? Just a game and there was no blatant cheating.

not sure what to say here...

17. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

This sort of stuff is fun too cause i cant wait till the next Georgia vs Auburn game!!!

18. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

6.0– Hurry Up Offense: All teams are allowed to run the "hurry up" offense in both two minute drill situations. Any team losing in the 4th quarter is permitted to hurry up as often as they like. When using the hurry up offense, please allow your opponent to set their defense before snapping the ball.

19. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

(we need more smileys)

20. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

[​IMG]

my first immediate question is, did Ramirez say anything to Helli about the hurry up? i.e. pausing the game and saying "hey don't think you can do the hurry up until the 4th." isn't that how this thing is supposed to work?

Regardless 24-3 is not the time to coast and figure you have the game in the bag. With a half of football left 3 scores is not an insurmountable lead, especially for a talented football team. Now if it was 35-3 or 42-3 that might be different.

btw IMO its kind of messed up for somebody who we know people have had issues with and kept it private going to the forums the first time they had an issue. just saying.

21. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

thus the reason im dissapointed in him. It's only still on the forum because Helli demanded it not be removed.

22. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

That's the thing. In the 3rd quarter I was still hoping he'd make more mistakes than he did. He says "used the no huddle and threw it deep" and that somehow makes it seem like I no huddled every play. I did not, nor even close to every play. Ryno sent me a note saying that the rule is, you can do it in the last 2 min. of a half and the 4th quarter if you're down big. The bulk of my continuous (if you will) no huddle was indeed in the 4th but in the 3rd I would start a drive off and a couple of times did no huddle 1-2 times just to kind of quicken the pace. I had no idea there was a rule against occasional no huddle use, since some offenses do this exclusively. I try to abide by the spirit of the rules and follow everything that I know exists but I don't know if I can memorize them. And again... We didn't even score till the beginning of the 4th so this did not lose him the game IMO.

23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nevertheless since the rule says none in the 3q and I admit that I ran a few no huddle plays in the 3q, if you guys wanna throw it out and let Mike play it or sim it, I will have no problems or give any attitude about that. I want to follow the rules as closely as I can.

24. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Helli..... I know I caused an issue here and I wanted to clear the air.... I've never lost a game in that fashion before. I also apologize to you and the rest of the league for bringing it to the forum.

I just want to get to next year because I want a piece of Georgia's ass!

25. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...