NFC Championship Game - Vikings v. Saints

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JSimms, Nov 22, 2012.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Vikings Win Instant Classic; Down Saints 30-27 in Overtime

New Orleans, LA - The 2012 NFC Championship would take place in New Orleans, a home game for the Saints primarily due to the questionable call from Coach JSimms to sit AP in their finale versus the Packers (leading to a loss and a #2 seed in the playoffs.) Two long-time Viking fans - CWT 3000 & JSimms - would battle it out in an instant classic for the chance to play the Colts in the Super Bowl.

The Saints would punt on their first two drives of the game, as the league's #1 defense came to play. However, the Viking offense would be stopped short on their first two drives as well, leading to a 6-0 lead late in the 1st. After their second FG, a 54-yarder by Blair Walsh, Darren Sproles would take the ensuing kickoff 102 yards to paydirt to give the Saints a 7-6 lead. The Vikings would respond, however, and score on a 2-yard TD pass from Ponder to Jerome Simpson to put the Vikings back up 13-7. The Saints would answer on a 66-yard TD pass from Brees to Sproles. Things took a turn for the worse it seemed, as AP would lose his first fumble since Week 3 of the regular season. The Saints would in turn march all the way down to the Vikings 1 yard line with just 10 seconds left to play; no timeouts. Instead of passing, or kicking the FG, the Saints decided a QB sneak that was STUFFED! They hurried back to the line, got another play off....Brees faked a handoff and was SACKED! Time ran out on the Saints. Score at half: Saints 14; Vikings 13.

The Vikings started off the second half right, and AP took a handoff 8 yards after a nice drive for the score, and put the Vikings back on top, 20-13. The Saints would march all the way back down the field and had a 1st and Goal at the 5, but another red zone stand left them settling for a 26-yd FG. Score now 20-17 in favor of the Vikings. After a punt by the Vikings, The Saints would get the ball back but Brees would be picked off by ball hawk Antoine Winfield. The Vikings would respond with a 2nd AP touchdown to put them up comfortably (or so they thought) with just under 7 minutes to play in the game.

The Saints would march back down the field, but would again stall inside the 5 yard line on 3 straight tries, settling for an 18-yd FG. Score with 3 minutes left to play - 27-20. Then, the unthinkable - AP would fumble for the third time in the game, his second lost fumble on the day, and give the Saints the ball back with just under 2 minutes left in the game! The Viking defense, while stout, was getting tired and couldn't keep them out of the end zone this time around. We were overtime bound...

The Vikings got the ball first in OT, and put together a time-consuming, mythodical drive (including one 4th and 2 conversion), but could only must 3 points. The Saints would get a chance under the new overtime rules, but around midfield Brees would throw his second, and most costly pick of the season to 4th string CB Zack Bowman to end the game!

Wow, what a game CWT 3000.

Players of Game:

AP - 34 attempts, 182 yds, 2 TD (3 fumbles?!)
    Sproles - 6 attempts, 30 yds, 1 TD; 7 catches, 91 yds, 1 TD; 105-yd kickoff return TD

Costly game for the Vikes, as they lost WR Percy Harvin, TE Kyle Rudolph, and MLB Tyrone McKenzie in the game. Harvin and McKenzie will both miss the SB, and with Tatupu already out the may have to pick-up a MLB to start in the big dance!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Really good game. Ponder was crazy accurate and AP was good, but not great. I was pulling my hair out at the throws Ponder kept completeing. I knew where the balls were going, but even in double coverage guys were catching them. That last throw by Brees is one I wish I had back. I was hoping my WR would make a play, but I shouldn't have expected it since they'd been passive all day.

The end of the game was crazy. AP fumbling it away for the 2nd time. Brees marching down and scoring to tie it. The crowd was in it. Next year.

• Like Like x 1