NFC CHAMPIONSHIP-VIKINGS DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Discussion in 'Game Summaries & Team News' started by DarkKnight89, Mar 17, 2014.

1. DarkKnight89

DarkKnight89 Walk On

Seattle's best effort wasn't good enough as the Vikings advanced to the Super Bowl. The Vikings smash mouth Defense punched Seattle's Offense right in the mouth from the opening kickoff. Seattle's Defense tried their best to stay in the game continuing to hold the Vikings Offense to field goals on 3 consecutive drives but Seattle's Defense could only bend so much until it broke. Adrian Peterson made sure he broke it while running for 122 yards and 1 TD. But the day belonged to the Vikings Defense who didn't allow a score until late into the 3rd Qtr. Picking off Russell Wilson 2x constantly hitting anything that moved in a Seattle jersey. Even though the final score was 19-14 due to a late TD with 30 seconds left, the Vikings Defense was anything less than Dominant…..

• Like Like x 4
  2. Mugga

Mugga Walk On

3. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Congrats on your win and your Superbowl berth Kenri! Perhaps a suggestion with your recap if I may... Rather than making it about your team being dominant, make it about the successful highlights from the game. I always suggest to extend a "good game" to the opponent showing some respect for their effort. By no means do I want to take away from your win as it is clear that you deserved it; nor do I want you to feel that you cannot talk up your team and how successful it was. What I am trying to suggest is that perhaps take a more positive approach about it so that your opponent does not feel slighted. Jim has a pretty tough shell and can take a loss, so I'm sure he isn't hurt by what you said. However, a different approach may help ease his pain, or anyone else's that you defeat, if you will. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. DarkKnight89

DarkKnight89 Walk On

I told Jim Good Game personally via YIM. That was the first thing i did before i even put anything up. Any one I've played thats always the first thing i do before i type anything up in this forum. You wanted a recap i gave you a recap. There wasn't a lot of offense in this game. Did you want me to write something long drawn out and untrue???? No…..I presented the FACTS. As i stated i personally told Jim Good Game via YIM and i will continue to personally tell anyone i play Good Game via YIM. If someone wants to do it in a forum i have no problem doing it in a forum for everyone to see. So with all due Respect please know the Facts first.

5. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

First off, congrats on the win.

At this point, you've made it this far and Doug is merely making a suggestion on how to craft a recap. It's not meant to be confrontational. I think a more "middle of the road" approach along with some examples of how your team was so "dominant" and how you "punched Seattle's offense in the mouth" would have been better received than the statements alone. I know you probably didn't mean it this way, but it does look a lot like chest-pounding, which can turn off an opponent...even some of the best sports in the league.

A recap of a few key plays doesn't have be "long, drawn-out, or untrue." They are simply details of an exciting game I'm sure a few people would have like to have heard about.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DarkKnight89

DarkKnight89 Walk On

I appreciate your feed back Klax I'm not trying to be confrontational I really like respect everyone I play in this league. Did it come across as chest pounding yes did I mean it to sound like that no. I've used the term "Smashmouth" all season. Once again I like this league and will comply to all rules and regulations

7. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

By no means was I attacking you, so I apologize if you felt that way. It has never been my intent to make you feel attacked when I contact you regarding things that are league related. Instead, I'm offering guidance on what we are looking for so that things will be better understood, which I'm sure you'll come to learn over time as we get to know each other better. I respect what you put out there and appreciate that you've been playing smashmouth football. That's fun shit and makes for exciting games. We WANT to know about YOU and your thoughts and feelings on how your games went down. I'm just suggesting that it be presented in a manner which would be better received by your opponents, as TJ (klaximilian) had reinforced. It isn't about restricting you, but rather, it's more about building a better, more respectful relationship with your opponent and with the rest of the league. Thanks for understanding, Kenri.

8. DarkKnight89

DarkKnight89 Walk On

Me and Doug spoke like gentlemen and resolved any miscommunications we had. I appreciate that bro

• Like Like x 2
  9. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Congrats on win Kenri, and GG. You earned it on the field for sure.

As far as the recap, I can only echo the advice that Doug and TJ provided. You did in fact send me a "GG" message on YIM, and well done in regards to that. But it can certainly be perceived as a slight if you fail to do so in your recap as well. It's a common practice, and it's also a great opportunity to tag your opponent in the recap, so they are aware it is posted.

With regards to the tone of the recap, it did come off as a bit braggadocios and one sided. This was quite an exciting game, and I don't think your recap did it justice. I know you spoke with Doug about this, so I won't dwell too much on it. But for the benefit of anyone else that may not be aware of what the issue is; recaps are meant to give everyone an idea of what happened in the game that led to the ultimate result. There is nothing wrong with talking up your team, but completely dismiss your opponent's efforts is disrespectful. We are all here to have fun, win or lose, and nobody wants to be belittled.

-------------------------------------------------

Now for the game itself, it was a snowy mess. For the most part, it was a defensive slug fest between two of the best defensive units in the league.

Early on in the game, Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson would struggle as he was hit early and often after releasing the ball. The Seattle offense seemed to get going on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter, until an interception by Vikings cornerback Aqib Talib put an early end to the promising drive. Meanwhile the Seattle defense played a bend, but don't break style, where they failed to capitalize on the few bad throws made by Vikings quarterback Josh Freeman and also failed to scoop up a fumble by All Pro running back Adrian Peterson. But they still managed to hold the Vikings offense to a trio of field goals and just a 9-0 deficit early in the 3rd quarter.

Then the Seahawks offense finally found some rhythm as Wilson engineered an 80 yard drive that ate up nearly 5 minutes of clock, before halfback Robert Turbin punched it in from 1 yard out, to cut the lead to 9-7, Brooklyn.

The Vikings answered right back with a long drive of their own, as they went 77 yards over the next 4 minutes, and Peterson broke free from 20 yards out to push the Vikings lead to 16-7.

With just over 3 minutes left in the game, the Seahawks received the ball and hoped to put another scoring drive together. The stout Vikings defense had other plans, as star linebacker NaVarro Bowman would pick off a Wilson pass near midfield.

The Vikings offense would grind their way to the 20 yard line, chewing up clock along the way, until they were faced with a 3rd and inches on the 20. The Seattle defense would stiffen and safety Earl Thomas would sacrifice his body (he left the game with a head injury) making a huge tackle to stop Peterson short of the first down marker. The Vikings would settle for the 37 yard field goal to go up 19-7 with just over a minute to go, and their opponent out of timeouts.

The Seahawks offense would put together an impressive 2 minute drill and drove 70+ yards to the endzone in just 40 ticks on the clock. The touchdown was on a 29 yard catch and run by slot receiver Leonard Hankerson from 29 yards out. Hankerson made a great catch in traffic, made a man miss, and outran the defense on his way to the endzone.

The touchdown gave the Seattle faithful a glimmer of hope, as they trailed 19-14 with just 19 seconds left. A failed onside kick would dash those brief hopes, as the Vikings kneeled out the clock to secure their trip to the Super Bowl.

Again, great game DarkKnight89! And congrats on your NFC Championship!

*I may still find the time to upload the video highlights, but I have to finish the highlights from the divisional round first.*

• Like Like x 1